Closed Thread

Old 12-08-2004, 03:16 PM   #16  
Fun Blonde

Guys, I wasn't here yesterday. On Monday I felt unwell and Monday night I was so hot and nauseous that yesterday I just slept in. Then felt fine and took half the day as vacation. Kind of nice being home, watched Oprah and Dr. Phil.

Son called last night and said our little Makenzie was walking again. They were so ecstatic. I guess she sprained her foot or ankle. Son said, "You would not believe how relieved we were!" I told him I had an idea. I remember when my 28-year-old (himself) called and told me he had testicular cancer. I was so relieved when I found out on the internet it had about a 90% cure rate. Kids can't believe we have ever been through exactly what they are going through, if not more. Oh well, I am sure I was the same with my mother.

Slavika, hope everything is progressing for you all. Are you looking like Christmas yet? Snow? Karen is probably basking in the sun.

Ash/Jenye, glad to see you back. When you say you are going downhill, are you talking about weight? I am certain you can take care of that problem. It is all you choice, but right now is kind of a hard time for us all.

Maria, thanks for the 12 simple rules. I have printed them out and going to paste them to my forehead. Just figured out I have only 6 days with things in them. Today is the 8th. That means I have 17 normal days. I am going to try to live them as normal days so in January I won't want to throw my hulk underneath a bus. Just kidding! You know what I mean--such desolation.
Glenda
Old 12-08-2004, 05:51 PM   #17  

G'day all,

We went to a day/night cricket match last night, Australia v New Zealand. The match starts at two in the afternoon and finishes at 10pm.
We have not been to a match for ages and were quite shocked at the price of tickets ($48.00 pp) How normal everyday type families can afford to go to these sort of games is beyond me.
We received a phone call from our son midway through the game to tell us that his wife's blood test has come back irregular indicating that there MAY BE something not quite right with the baby (spina bifida, down syndrome etc.) This morning she is having an amniosentesis and the results will hopefully prove that everything is OK.
They won't know the results for 10 long days.
Of course I coudn't sleep last night thinking about that and at 1.30am I just got up to check on the net how bad this is.
I was relieved to read that quite often blood tests show to be irregular but on many occassions the results of an amniosentesis proves everything to be OK and a healthy baby is the likely outcome.

Life is never smooth sailing, just as you are moseying along quite nicely something throws a spanner in the works!
Both our son and his wife are supremely fit athletes (a bit like his mother ) they are health and fitness fanatics and I cannot believe that there could be something wrong with their baby.
I will try and stop worrying about it but at times like this I just wish I was home, not that I can do anymore at home then what I can do here but it would just feel better.

Glenda I so know what you mean, after receiving son's news and being at a sporting venue that one can only eat 'crap', we certainly did that last night.
Told dh we are having lettuce leaves and a glass of water for dinner tonight

Have a great day all,
Cheers
Maria
Old 12-09-2004, 08:25 PM   #18  
Member Florida Chick

Hi all: Just a quick update. They are working hard to find out why DH has such a low red blood count. They are giving him intervenous iron, and a B12 shot. The iron was a big deal, the nurse had to stay there and check his BP every 15 minutes, in case he had some bad reaction.

I'm getting along okay. Trying to walk a bit more every day. Friends have been great about taking me to the hospital, since I haven't been cleared to drive yet. have no idea when DH might come home, so I know I want to be in the best shape I can be in, for that day.

Hope you all are doing okay.

Glenda: Hope you are feeling better now.

I'll be back tomorrow probably.. Ann
Old 12-10-2004, 05:26 PM   #19  
Fun Blonde

Maria, I hope you have been calmed by now about the test. I even know two girls who decided not to take that test because there were so many false-positives. So I just feel certain that your grandchild will be fine. I think of all the technology we have now, that maybe some things are better not known. I have a friend whose grandbaby showed in some test something wrong with the brain. The doc said that this condition "usually" clears up by birth, but if not, the baby would die within hours. They worried themselves sick and the little girl was born just fine. Makes you wonder how many of us had this and knew nothing and just blithely accepted that perfect little bundle. Sometimes ignorance is bliss.

Ann, so glad you are doing better each day. How much longer till you can drive. Friends are wonderful.

Where is everybody? Trudy, if you are reading this, let us know about Slavika. How is everyone?
Glenda
Old 12-10-2004, 05:58 PM   #20  

G'day all,

We had the wonderful news that our son and his wife are having a healthy baby girl

Glenda I agree with what you said, since this happened to our ds and d-i-l we have heard of so many false alarms
Technology is wonderful but sometimes a bit too much.

DH is waiting to go for a walk, thank goodness he works during the week
He always HAS to be doing something!

Hope everyone is well,

Cheers
Maria
Old 12-10-2004, 06:38 PM   #21  

Ann hope they find out soon what is wrong with DH. Glad you are getting stronger. You will need to be in really great shape when he comes home. Hope you can drive soon.

Maria so happy to hear of the healthy baby girl. I was beginning to dread signing on to the web site. wondering what awful thing was going to happen next. But with this news the spell has been broken. Slavika's Dh will come through all his problems fine. Ann's hubby will get better. Ann's will be better than ever soon. I just know it.

SIl's doctors appointment was a bust today. The hospital sent her blood work to the wrong lab and so we still don't know what is going on with her. Now it will be for sure after the first of the year before she/we know what is the problem!

Not a lot going on here. The weather was rainy today and we are expecting cooler weather (in the 60's) for the next week. The warm weather should return next week in time for Grand children to arrive.

Karen
Old 12-10-2004, 06:55 PM   #22  
Net browser

Hi Everybody

Maria that is wonderful news about your granddaughter. It is also great that they got the results sooner then they thought. It's the waiting that is so difficult.
Ann it's good to hear that you are feeling stronger every day. Soon you will be driving again. I sure hope that they find out what's going on with your DH. I don't think men make good patients.
Glenda you must be feeling better since you are back at work. Maybe you had a bit of a flu.....it's best to just stay home until you feel well.
Hi Jenye nice "seeing" you again on the board. Come and visit more often.
DH has an appointment with the oncologist next Tuesday morning. My Son and I will go with him, and I guess we'll find out what course of treatment they will use on him. I have been trying to keep our lives as "normal" as possible, but it's like nothing is normal anymore. The area that it causing DH the most trouble is his hip/pelvis/leg. As long is he is lying down the pain is not too bad but he can't sit for any length of time. We are now eating our meals in the TV room and he is propped up on the sofa with his legs stretched out and I sit in the sofa chair. It's ok though, I don't mind. He has a cane now, so if we go out to a store for a bit (mostly just to get out) he can lean on the cane for support and that seems to help. Friends stopped by this morning for a visit and that was nice and later DH drove over to our local bank which is just a couple of blocks away,
to have some papers sent to the bank's head office. He then drove to the Mall and had a short little walk. He was in pain a short while ago so I gave him another Tylenol #3 and he has fallen asleep. Trudy and her DH and I went to Costco yesterday and I bought all these tempting goodies for DH so that he would not lose any more weight, but I have to be careful that I don't get into them.
I hope you all have a great weekend. Talk to you soon.
Old 12-11-2004, 04:12 PM   #23  
Member Florida Chick

Hi Everyone: Good news. I brought DH home from the hospital yesterday. He is tired, but doing okay. The feeling is that he may have pernicious anemia. He is having a B12 shot once a week, and on Monday he will go for another iron infusion, introvenouly. I don't know how long the iron will be given, but supect he will be having the B12 shots regularly. He is on blood thinner for the clot in his leg, and of course he has to have blood tests to monitor that so it stays stable.

I'm doing better every day, and Karen you are right. Things are looking up, and I expect them to do so for Slavika and her DH too.

Maria: so glad that the tests came out find for your grand-daughter. Now you can be thinking about all those wonderful little girl clothes. Much more fun to buy for and make than for little boys.

Glenda: Glad you are feeling better.

Hi Jenye: nice to hear from you now and again.

Slavika: We'll be praying for you on Tuesday with special remembrance for wisdom for the Dr.s etc.

Hi Trudy, Lily and Peggy - Hope you all are having a good week-end. I know you are all having colder weather than we do, but now we are getting a cold snap. Temp never went above 65 today and will be colder tonight and tomorrow. We are not used to this. We'll have to have the heat on. That is a change from the AC.

Will continue to give you updates on our developing saga. Ann
Old 12-11-2004, 06:37 PM   #24  

G'day all,

Keep that good news coming!

Ann great to hear your dh is home again. Sounds like they have a bit of an idea what was ailing him. Before you know it the 2 of you will be back to your old selves again

Slavika What can I write to make you feel a bit better? It is a very difficult time but I feel sure things will take a turn for the better especially once you know what the oncologist has in mind as to how to treat your dh.
Wonderful to have the support of your son, it must make it a little easier for not just you but your dh as well.
At times like this I used to think of people confronted with some of the same health issues who do not have the support that I had and that you have. It must be so much harder for them.

Karen How annoying the blood test being sent to the wrong lab
I think you are right, things are going the right way for Ann and before long Slavika will also post to say that things are on the up and up.

I am still very happy about the news of my grand daughter. They will call her Matilda or Mattie. I am getting used to it.
I remember some time ago Slavika telling us how she kept a journal on her grand children and that was one of their favourite books they liked to read when they were visiting. I thought that was such a lovely idea that I have started one as well and the first entry is the news of her being a healthy baby eventhough we still have a little way to go before we actually meet!!!! (she is due May 19)
We went to some huge new shopping centre and the amount of stuff I saw for little Matilda was unreal.
Shopping has taken on a whole new dimension!

Weather is hot and humid , we do enjoy watching the thunderstorms rolling in at night.

I hope you are all having a good weekend.

Cheers
Maria
Old 12-11-2004, 07:11 PM   #25  

Ann glad DH is home . I have not heard of pernicious anemia for years. My grandfather had it many years ago. I think I was just a twinkle in my Daddy's eye it was so long ago.

Maria I can just see you in a manic state with all that baby girl stuff to buy. And i think the journal is a wonderful idea.

Like Ann said we are having cooler weather . We have only had the heat on once since we have been here and then only to take the chill out of the house. By then the sun coming in the windows keeps the house pretty warm. To day is the second day Ive had on long pants since we have been here. I even put on socks to to take Sprout out for his evening walk. The wind is what makes it feel so cool.

Bought stuff to do some baking for the Grands. Wonder how much I will find in my mouth????

I'm finding myself very tired these days. Not quite sure why. I know between the house and the dog I stay on the go. He is not one to lay around. Most of the time he is up to no good. So I do spend a lot of time following him around. Some times i just have to put him in his pen just to get some peace for a while. It is like having a two year old around . I will be glad when he grows out of this stage(I hope he will)

Slavika, Glad DS is going to be with you. It sure helps to have family to lean on at times like this.

SIL has some medication she has to take. I'm going to have to shove it down her throat at the rate she is going. This is worse than a kid. At least you can reason with them. Not her!!!!!!!!

Have to go and convince her to take it.

Karen
Old 12-12-2004, 03:00 PM   #26  
Life Time 2001

Jenye: So good to see you back. Hope to see you posting more soon

Maria: So glad the results of the baby came back good! Thats great news. Im sure you were worried.

Ann: Sounds like you are recovering very well Glad your DH is finally back at home. Im sure he is glad to.

Slavika: I do hope the tests on your DH come back good. So glad your son is going with you. Its great that he is supporting you. Please keep us posted.

Karen: Puppy will grow out of this stage. I think most puppys are like that. Im sure its what is making you tierd. Little puppys are like kids

Glenda: So glad you are feeling better. Its nice to have a day off. On my Fridays off I have been watching Opera and Dr Phil to. Havent seen them in so long.

Well we are off to lunch with friends.
Old 12-12-2004, 04:42 PM   #27  

I am going to try this again. For some reason everything I just wrote got lost somewhere. Computer is acting goofy.

Maria sure glad you got good news about Matilda. Love Mattie. Sorry your dil had to go through all that unnesessary worry. Great idea about keeping a baby journal. I think I might do that also. My son and dil are keeping the name a secret till the baby is born. I was hoping they wouldn't pick Phinneas like Julia Roberts did. They said they didn't. I can't imagine what they will come up with. My sons teases and says Thor.

Slavika wish I could do or say something to bring you comfort. Hope you get good news from the tests. It is wonderful for you to have such a supportive family and a friend like Trudy and her dh. Keep us updated either here or in email. Keep thinking of you.

Trudy-thanks for being a good friend to Slavika. You can never have too much support from friends and loved ones.

Ann glad to hear that you have good news. That is a day brightener for me. Glad your dh is home. You always feel better when you are home and in your own bed.

Karen sounds like the puppy is giving you a workout. They can require a lot of attention. Are you taking him to puppy school? That helped our dog a lot.

Lily how is it going with the big boss there?

Glenda I have been wanting to see that movie. Glad you said it was good and that you all enjoyed it.

I still don't have a tree and just a few decorations up. I have to get busy and do something. It finally quite raining and has gotten colder. Supposed to snow fllurry tonight. Gosh Karen bet you miss that. LOL Have to dig out the warm coats and gloves. The big rage here are those scarves made out of that stringy yarn. They are made on round needles and you can use it as a scarf or make a hood out if. I was daring and bought a red one. Seems like everyone is knitting lately. I am almost ready to try it again. Surely I can knit something in a straight line like a scarf without messing it up too much. My dh is making dinner and it smells good. Have to go and check it out. I can smell garllic. Yummy.

Hi Jennye- it is good to hear from you. Let us know what is going on. I think about you whenever I come here.
Old 12-12-2004, 06:01 PM   #28  

G'day all,

An overcast, rainy, warm day here, a bit yuck

Peggy I am glad you like the name Matilda/Mattie, what do you mean about the worry for my daughter-in-law....what about ME
After this has happened to our d-i-l , the more I hear of expectant mothers having this test and it turns out to be a false alarm
We are of course very pleased that it is a false alarm but it does make you wonder.
What a spoilt sport your son and wife are by keeping the name a secret, they might let it slip before the baby is born.
I was unaware of what name Julia Roberts called her babies, what a name Phinneas Poor child.

KAren sorry to hear Sprout is a bit of a handful but I guess he would not be normal if he just slept all day! I hope life will get a bit easier with your s-i-l. I don't know how you cope, it is one thing to cope with a puppy but another to cope with a difficult adult

Lily you certainly sound a lot less 'frazzled' now that you have Fridays off and no longer have your WW commitment. Good for you, life is to enjoy!

Hello to everyone else, hope this is a good Monday for you,

Cheers
Maria
Old 12-12-2004, 08:07 PM   #29  
Ash

Hello from Australia

Well here I am again absolutely frazzled by the humidity, it certainly doesn't agree with me. Over the weekend Ted has been hard at work taking the decking up out the back as we are having it replaced as it had become very dangerous and I couldn't go outside. We are gradually being built in as new houses are shooting up over our back fence. It is hard to see as we had got used to the cattle and horses being there when it was all paddocks.

Maria:- By the looks of things you are back in Melbourne again. If you have time give me a call. You know my phone number.

Glenda:- Thanks for asking, I meant me, I am now using a walker all the time and a wheelchair when I go out. Mentally I am just the same but walking really tires me out and I feel as if my legs are about ready tp fall off they are so painful. I know that this is a lack of exercise but it is a vicious circle, dammed if you can and dammed if you don't.

Slavika:- It is great to be here and see so many old names that I know, I have been in the wilderness for ages and lurking really isn't the game for me, thanks for the welcome back I feel as if I am coming home.

Well girls until next time.

Jenye.

Last edited by Ash; 12-12-2004 at 08:12 PM.
Old 12-12-2004, 09:13 PM   #30  

Jenye I am in Sydney not in Melbourne. I wished I was in Melbourne at least I would be close to my daughter.
I have heard that Melbourne and Adelaide have had unusually humid weather, of course Sydney is always humid
Sorry to hear your health has deteriorated to such an extent that you now have to use a walker/wheelchair.
What does your doctor say?
I remember visiting you a few years ago and remember the paddocks near your house, particularly out the back, hard to believe houses are now being built there.
You also spoke of moving to the country, do you still have that in mind?

Stay in touch

Cheers
Maria
Closed Thread