Closed Thread

Old 04-19-2001, 04:13 PM   #16  
Fun Blonde

Geri, you have come a long way, even though now you are protesting that you didn't look "that good" in your little black dress. Didn't you say it was a size 12 petite? You go, girl. And hearing about your energy just gets to me. Spending 4 hours on corn! I used to do things like that, but somehow just quit the stuff that isn't essential., like cleaning corn. Your church group is doing so well because they have you. Remember that!

Slavika -so you are a real square, huh? Haven't heard that much since the 60's. Actually, that 38 top sounds really good to me, compared to my 34 top. I still wear a "training" bra. (not really, but almost)

Peggy - can't remember if it was you who gave us the stress diet. I have been on that diet a bunch in my life. Start out so prim and proper and before bedtime it's "Katy, bar the door! She's on her way to the convenience store for more M&M's!"

My DH has been working so much overtime, but isn't tonight. I think I would like to do something totally wild--go to a movie on a weeknight! How is that for daring!
Glenda
Old 04-19-2001, 06:01 PM   #17  

Hi all, 'Got my haircut today and feel like a different person. I really like it. I had to go get mousse and gel so I can do it at home. While I was at Targe' (Target) I found a really cute hot pink pair of those short pants that come below the knee and a matching t on sale for $12. Had to take it. Then I went to Burlington and found a dress for the wedding this weekend. I wish it was black but it is blue, one of those long straight things and it has a jacket. And it was only $20. What a bargain. Geri, what a girl to freeze all that corn. I did that once a long time ago. What a mess I had but it sure tasted good when we ate it. Glenda - live dangerously and go to that movie in the middle of the week. Tell us what you saw. Has anyone heard from Lily? Bye for now, Peggy
Old 04-19-2001, 08:24 PM   #18  
Net browser

Default ...calling Peggy and Geri

Hi Everybody
Well after giving it a minute's thought, I have decided that my life would be much simpler if Geri did all my food shopping (and of course freezing) and Peggy took care of shopping for my clothes. My DH would "love" both you "smart shoppers". I wouldn't know a bargain if it bit me in the butt.
Peggy I had my haircut today too, and you are right, it sure feels good. We had very heavy fog this morning, making driving to the hairdresser a rather scary experience. I just followed the fellow's tail lights in front of me and hoped he could see something I couldn't. YIKES Later on it turned into a pretty nice day. We had temp around 17 C or 64 F, and I have to say after I did a bit of yard work I came in and put on a pair of~~~~~~ta da~~~~~~ "SHORTS". Sort of longer denim ones, but still shorts.
Ann boy that grandson is sure lucky to have you for a grandma. I bet there are not many fellows over in Japan with him that have "grandma's" who know how to send e-mails and instant messages.
Trudy I didn't go grocery shopping today, that is why I didn't run into you in the stores. I had sooo much left over from Easter that I didn't bother.
I wish Lily would check in.
Hope you all have a nice evening.
Old 04-19-2001, 09:30 PM   #19  
Member Florida Chick

Hi everybody- Woke up this a.m. to smoke-fog. The intelligent forestry service allowed a controlled burn, and guess what? it went out of control. New Mexico on a smaller scale. Now today there are about 7 more fires started by arsenists.Scary

Slavika- You sound like an hour glass to me. Not a real square. We would have quite a group of svelte ladies, if we could all trade parts I am going to use your punch recipes for the Luau, and the cake too. I passed some of the cake to our neighbors, and they liked it a lot also.

I haven't been to a movie in so long I don't know if I can remember just how to behave in a theater.

We are having a concert by the group TRUTH at our church next week. I'm looking forward to that.

Peggy- Glad to hear things are calming down now. Is the curfew lifted now?

I now have my short summer hair-do. Been thinking about shocking everyone and use a lot of mousse and spray and spike it. But I guess to be a really cool Gramma I would have to spray the tops orange or green? :eek What do you think?

We went to Target today also. Got a new lamp to put above the bed for reading.I had no chance to get any clothes. I have to do that without my DH as he hates shopping. He wants to go in, make a purchase, and leave.

Trudy- Keep inspiring me so I can get back to goal again. That 3 lb yoyo is maddening.

Have any of you tried the Kashi Crispies I posted on the recipe page? I use a lot of Kashi Cereal. Tastes good and very low in points.

Got to have an early night tonight, since my conversation last night was so late. Found a neat book to share. Called the Dieter's Prayer Book by Heather Harpham Kopp.With a quote from her I'll say goodnight.

'Beauty is an inside job.'
Old 04-19-2001, 11:35 PM   #20  
Super Surfer

Default ...my nose is buried in a book...

I've spent ever spare moment reading today. Did the usual thing with Mom and then came home to read "From The Corner Of His Eye". Mind you, I did take time out to watch "Survivors". It had me in tears today when they were e-mailing their families. I was sorry to see Roger go, thought it should have been Keith.
We can't get Kashi here, but have it on my list to pick up when we cross the border. Now I have to add Target as well, the hot pink outfit and the dress sound great.
I love corn right out of the garden so that made my mouth water.
Slavika you are NOT a square.. ..but you are funny.
Looking forward to seeing the picture of you Geri, let us know when you have it up.
That new DIET is cute... sounds like I might have tried it a few too many times in the past.
Is anyone tracking down Lily? Not like her to be absent for so long. "Lily...we're getting worried!"

It was a really lovely day today, but tomorrow it is supposed to rain..YUK! Hope everyone has a good one. Goodnight y'all.....
Old 04-20-2001, 12:22 PM   #21  

Just a quick hello. Going on a retreat this weekend out in west Texas. Am really looking forward to it as will see some old friends. I sure need the break. Kroger has corn 10/$! this week so will be putting up corn when I come back. I didn't get punished enough the other night----have to go back for more. Will check in when I get back.

Where is that Kashi crispie recipe? I eat at least 1 bowl of Kashi a day---quite frequently 2. Really like the stuff. And all that fiber helps a lot (if you get my drift).

Y'all have a nice weekend.
Old 04-20-2001, 08:41 PM   #22  
Member Florida Chick

Geri- The recipe is on the page Lily set up for our recipes, under snacks. I eat a lot of Kashi too. Sometimes I make my own mix, Good Friends, Go Lean, Puffed Kashi, and a table spoon of oatmeal. Then mix it all with a container of yogurt(I like blueberry) throw in some fruit, and there is a yummy breakfast. Your retreat sounds interesting.Youll come back refreshed, I'm sure.

Slavika: Question-I want to use your punch recipes, but what can I substitute if I can't find guava juice. I haven't exhausted all the possibilities yet, but want to be prepared.Our Luau plans are moving right along. The dancers are practicing, the singers getting their act together. I'm going to sing Honey Bun with a crazy neighbor doing the Billis part.

Short post tonight. I spent one of those sleepless nights last night, and am going to turn in early. I hate it when I can't sleep.

Hi to everybody else out there. 'See' you tomorrow. Ann
Old 04-20-2001, 09:38 PM   #23  
Net browser

Default .......some stuff for Ann

Hi Ann I drank a fair amount of Guava Juice when I was in Maui and looked for it here at home when I got back and couldn't find it at all.
I did find a couple of tropical juices that CONTAINED some guava juice which would work in the punch recipes.
If you just can't get the guava juice in Florida that's what I would do. I think some of the tropical juices contain a mixture of pineapple/guava/passion juice, and that's a very nice combination. However you work it, I know the punch will be nice.

A few months ago I looked up the Hawaiian names for the girls on our board. Your's is ANA
I thought it might be fun, if you knew all the names of the people attending, to find out their Hawaiian names, and make up some simple little name cards for each person to wear.
You probably already know the next couple of things, but the $1.00 store sells lei's that you could give each guest. Appetizer's are called "POO-POO'S" in Hawaii. I wish I was going to your "luau".
You could even put "food flags" on the different dishes that are being served. For example, anything that could pass for pork, could have a sign that says, "KALUA PIG"
which is actually what the whole hog is called that is cooked in an imu (underground oven). "POI" is a pudding like dish made from taro plant (hee hee and tastes a little like white paste...........not of course that I have tried that in a very long time. Anyway that would make a kind of cute Food flag.
I sure would like to hear your version of "Honey Bun".

Geri enjoy your time at the retreat. "See" you after the weekend.
Trudy have you still got your nose buried in the Dean Koontz book? How's Barty doing?
Well I thought I would watch an hour or so of TV and read some of my book. I'll come by later to see if anyone else has posted. Night all.

Last edited by slavika; 04-20-2001 at 09:41 PM.
Old 04-20-2001, 11:41 PM   #24  
Super Surfer

Default ....yes I'm still reading.....

Slavika... you borrow me all these good books, once I start them I can't put them down.
Your ideas for Ann's luau sound like a lot of fun. I would like to be there to see her sing "Honey Bun", that's from South Pacific?
Geri ... I hope you have a relaxing time at the Retreat... come back all refreshed. Maybe you'll have some new insights to share with us.
Ann I'm going to go and look up that recipe, sounds like something I would like.

Going to bed.... ... have a great day tomorrow...
Old 04-21-2001, 07:59 AM   #25  
Member Florida Chick

Slavika- Thanks for the tips. We did find a party store where we got leis for .39 each. Not the really fancy kind but they will do. Each table will have a flower name, so that we can call them to the buffet by the name. We have one couple who is celebrating 57 years of marriage, so it will be a party for them as well.Ihaveseen some other tropical juice combinations so will put together some sort of concoction. How about mango juice?
Have you started to read "Left Behind" yet?

Trudy- and all- if you like Kashi and want to get recipes sent to you from the company, go to www.kashi.com. Join their web club Kashi Fan Addicts. You'll get an eamil a week.You can also buy the various products through the web site. I like the go-lean bars for a meal substitute now and then.I have a recipe for a pie crust made from 'Good Friends' cereal if you are interested.

Finallly last night I got some sleep, thanks to tylenol p.m. I just started taking Evista and I think that has something to do with my sleepless nights. Hope it will finally wear off,as my body gets saturated with the stuff.
I was supposed to weigh-in today, but put it off a week, since tonight we are going to a class renunion of my DH. All the old sailors. I hope there are some wives there who will want to talk about something other than old sea stories.

'See' you later. Ann
Old 04-21-2001, 08:52 AM   #26  

Ann your luau sounds like a lot of fun. Would love to hear you sing. Are you wearing a grass skirt? Slavika's recipes are sure to be a hit. How are the fires going? I hope no more are started. Can't understand why people set them on purpose. Things have quieted down here. Lot of talking and blaming going on. Haven't been to riot area yet but it is an area that I drive thru frequently. Trudy how is the reading going? These rainy days we have been having are good reading days. I have been putting a scrapbook together of old vacation pictures. Today I am going to a nursery in Indiana that has great things for cheap prices. It is off the beaten path and not too many people know about it yet. Bye for now, Peggy
Old 04-21-2001, 08:34 PM   #27  

Default at last, a breather...........

Back to just dh and me, it was lovely having son and partner stay but I am exhausted. Son doesn't like shopping his partner does, even more than me
I did a lot of sight seeing with the kids and they had a great time. We are certainly considerably poorer for the experience but then what the heck, it is only money and they had a great time.
It was nice to read all the posts and of course I don't remember who said what.
Someone asked about the Bodyshop, yes we do have them in Australia and several others based on the same concept.
We also have the 'weakest link' and I have to say that would have to be the worst show i have ever seen. I am not sure what the American/Canadian version is like but here it is as though the hostess tries to insult and intimidate contestants as much as possible. For the first half of the show I sat there with my mouth open in disbelief, I did watch it till the end but have not watched it since. It just makes me cringe.
Good news, well sort of.........My scales that I brought over here are on the blink. I was quite depressed discovering I had put on 6 kg, just couldn't believe it. Tried again and I had lost 10 kg, amazing this happened within 1 minute if only...
This morning dh checked it out (his weight varies very little) and he was also all over the shop with his weight.
So I don't know how much I have lost/gained, clothes still fit fairly well the same. My scales are the digital variety and I thought they were very reliable, anyone has had a similar experience?
Any news on Lily , hope all is well.
This coming week it is ANZAC (Australia New Zealand Army Corpse) day on April 25. We remember our lost soldiers and our involvement in the many wars and there usually is a Dawn service in each capital city and then after a march of all returned soldiers through the city. We still have a few soldiers from WWI participating in the march albeit in a wheelchair.
I have always intended to go to a dawn service and this year, living but a short walking distance away, I will do so.
On that rather sombre note I will sign off.
Speak to you all later
Cheers
Maria
Old 04-21-2001, 10:41 PM   #28  
Member Florida Chick

Maria- Your day sounds sort of like our Veterans day here in November. Parades and the like.We have one of those digital scales and you can step on it three times in a row and get a different reading every time. Expecially if it is very humid. I know I can always count on weighing in at least 2 lbs more than my scale says. sometimes very discouraging.

I'm wearing the fake outsize sailor suit, and my partner(male) is wearing the grass skirt, a yellow wig, coconut bra, and his wife is painting a ship on his stomach. It is all big laughs.

Well the sea stories didn't get too thick. Met some nice ladies, and we have decided that men are all alike. Can't find anything, and are always sure we have moved things on them like glasses, wallets, etc.

Another early morning. Church at 8:00am. so goodnight all. Ann
Old 04-22-2001, 12:45 AM   #29  
Super Surfer

Default Hi gals...

Ann.. don't you just hate those sleepless nights? I think that most of us have them from time to time.... like tonight for me ~ the way I feel right now I know I won't be sleeping. I checked out the Kashi site.
No doubt about it, you will be getting a lot of laughs for Honey Bun I don't think I could sing alone in front of a lot of people.
Maria For us it is Nov 11 - Rememberance Day, that we remember the soldiers. I have a Health-O-Meter digital scale (bought it because Slavika had such good luck with hers). It is very accurate. I know that when I go to WW, I will be around 1/2 lb more there. The other scale I had was the spring type and every time I got on it or moved from side to side it would point to another number. It was very frustrating.
I only watched The Weakest Link once, and found the lady to be pretty rude ...she apparently has been getting death threats.
Peggy you are doing what I should be doing... putting my pictures in an album. I have quite a few from 1997 on that are just piling up. But no, I am still reading.
Slavika... what do you think? Lily went on a vacation and didn't inform us about it?

Well I will check in tomorrow and see what is new with you all... bye bye.
Old 04-22-2001, 12:53 PM   #30  
Senior Chick

Hello!
I'm back from cruising down the Mississippi and had a great time. I am also now addicted to bread pudding. I did pretty well and upped my activity but I am sure glad I don't weigh in until next Saturday.

This is short as I also came back to 250 emails (& trashed 150 LOL) and I have to get ready for work tomorrow.

Margot
Closed Thread