Closed Thread

Old 02-10-2004, 09:44 PM   #16  
Member Florida Chick

Default I wasn't lost

Hi everyone: I finally got caught up with all the news. I've just been lurking around and being lazy off and on.

Marnie: I would agaree with everyone else. That old adage applies - There are many 'fish in the sea' so I know you can find others to chat with and exchange ideas with. Congrats on the 3lbs. I'm still working on my cruise weight. 1 more lb to get rid of and then just keep going. The never ending struggle. Stick with the knitting. It can be rewarding, when you get the hang of it. What are you doing for your first project?

Maria: What a wonderful trip you are planning. When we lived in New York State we were far from the City. We were on the Northern border right on the St. Lawrence River. A very beautiful part of the state. It is too bad you couldn't include it. Also along the Eastern Seaboard, there are some great states. I especially like Virginia. I think that most of the cars that we think are made in the U.S. have a lot of parts that are manufactured other places. We have been hearing good things about Kia and Hundai cars. And as far as motels are concerned, I know there are some very good and reasonable chains, and you can reserve ahead for what you want. There are some campgrounds that have cabins for rent, but you have to bring your own sleeping bags. And there are no cooking facilities. KOA is the chain. New York City is a great place to visit. Of course we all can find the best places in our home states. In a lot of ways, I can tell you more about New York than about Florida. You will have a wonderful trip, whereever you go.This is a great country.

Trudy and Slavika: I think we are all envious of your lovely vacation time. Someone asked what are the consequences of going in the sun when taking certain meds. I think it is that you burn easily, and can also break out in a rash. Might be wrong. Have a great time.

Peggy: Loved the 'Colors' I've sent it on to a lot of friends. Did you get all your painting done. I seem to remember that you had a big project to complete.

Lily: Sounds like you are looking forward to your Saturdays again. It would seem that when you work all week, it is important to have a day for yourself.

Karen: I do like 0 point soup. I've found several combinations that are reallly good.When are y ou thinking about coming to Florida? I would imagine that you would bring your SIL with you, but maybe not to live in the same area she came from. That could invite trouble with the other relatives that were so disrespectful to her to begin with.

Now about my free time. So far, I haven't found too much. There are just other things to move in and take up the slack. I do go to Curves 3x a week, and I am volunteering at the church office one afternoon a week. What I am enjoying is not having the responsibilities getting chairpeople for events, and overseeing all that stuff. I've turned over all my material and today my keys, so I am really through. We are planning to go visit relatives in Bonita Springs for a few days, and my DH has a college reunion in April. We will be going North this summer for about 5 weeks, so life just moves on.

Just got a call from my DD have to go. See you. Ann
Old 02-11-2004, 06:39 AM   #17  

Hi,

Haven't been here for a few days. You all have been busy. My birthday was last week so now I am another year older but don't feel it.

Maria you are so busy planning your vacation. I don't know much about campgrounds but they do have electrical hookups. Now I am a motel camping type of girl but i have never been in one of those big camper things.I toured the inside of one once and it was quite luxurious. If you decide to get a car go for one that has some oomph. There is a Toyota factory in Ky so some of the parts are made here. I am with Ann-Virginia is a beautiful state. So is Tennessee. I have been east and have been to the Oregon coast which is gorgeous. That is a place I would love to revisit. Other than that I have never been past Iowa. This summer we are going back to the Outer Banks in North Carolina. Gas right now is high. Here it goes for $1.60 average a gallon. Probably higher where Lily is. I know I would visit the California wine country and visit the vineyards.

Karen I am with you on shopping at the big grocery stores. If I am in a hurry I go to our local IGA. We have a Winn-Dixie that never has anyone in it so it always has a fast checkout. Kroger is always a zoo especially on days when it is supposed to snow. How is your sister doing?

Lily how nice to be having Saturdays to yourself again. You going to sleep in and just relax? Was at my nieces the other evening and she had the best wine from South Africa. It was a sample she was trying. It was so good.

Marnie I would just go and say hi to that lady. I don't know about your meeting but the one I used to go to everyone usually sat in the same seat every week. I sat in the wrong one once and I heard about it. So if you can talk to the people around you. Keep smiling.

Ann I can't imagine you sitting still. It has to be nice for you not to have all the responsibility that you had. Hmm -going to Bonita Springs? My friend and her dh are spending the month down there. Maybe you will run into Dolores and Joe.

Sure do wish I had some of Maria's warm days. It warmed up a little this week and the ice is melting off the sidewalks so it makes it easier to walk. I love to get my outdoor walk in the morning. There is a highway sniper up by Columbus and he seems to be working his way south. He shoots from overpasses and has killed one person. Sure hope they catch him soon.

Slavika and Trudy when are you doing the Road to Hanna. Can't wait to hear about it. Have some fun and have one of the drinks with an umbrella in it for me.
Old 02-11-2004, 08:33 AM   #18  

S/C/G: 195/136/128

Default Hi everyone:

First of all HAPPY BELATED BIRTHDAY, PEGGY Hope it was fun and that you had at least a "sliver" of birthday cake. (The Color video was beautiful.)

Maria I've heard that some "rental" car companies will pay to have you drive a car from one part of the US to another. Not sure that's the route you want to go, but it's worth considering.

Ann my project is trying to do a stocking. I asked my sister to start me off on just one and then maybe I could graduate to making a pair of socks. I thought I could just use it for Christmas!

I want to thank you all for your "input" regarding my behavior at the WW meeting. I was in a stew, so I wrote the young woman an email apologizing for my behavior. She really didn't do anything wrong, I just took it as a personal affront. Like you all encouraged, I move on.

I tried the "overnight" oatmeal last night. I used the Irish steel cut oats, a few dried cranberries, apricots and salt (plus the water); I plugged the crockpot in at 9:00 pm and this morning when I ate around 6:00 a.m it was great. I made a half batch and I was pleasantly surprised. It's a smaller crockpot called a "crockette." I got it at Target.

I'm off to get some coffee.

Hope you're all well and that the "Hawaiian's" are having a great time.

Marnie
Old 02-11-2004, 02:35 PM   #19  
Life Time 2001

Maria: Yes Im sure you could buy a car for 10,000. But Im thinking the Motor home still might be a cheaper route. If you think about the cost it will to stay at extented day places or even Motels, and the added cost of eating out. Thats goes up fast. Motels range from, 70$ on up for a night. Just seems to me it might be a cheaper route. Could be wrong tho. Hubby usually figures that stuff. He is such a Nerd boy that it would be in a spread sheet right down to the penny

Ann: At least now you are doing things you want and arent tied to the responsibilty of all that planning. I cant image you sitting around doing nothing anyways.

Peggy: Never tried any wine from South Africa. Have from lots of other places tho. Happy Belated Birthday!

Marnie: Heard about that overnight Oat meal befor but have never tried it. Suppose to be very filling to.
Old 02-11-2004, 04:20 PM   #20  

Marnie great job on losing 3 pounds . Did you try that new FAst Trak Kit?? Or just do The Flexpoints program? I tried to knit once but trying to get 2 hands to work at once did not work well for me. Funny I can crochet. Can't do it any more because it hurts my wrist's. Stay warm it looks like it is going to get cold again.

Is anyone doing anything special for Valentines Day??

Ann glad you have some free time. it's funny when we think of getting free time it never seems to be there no matter what. Always something to do or someplace to go

Thing are going well with Sister in Law. Have tought her how to drive on snow and ice so she can do more on her own. Also i am staying out of her health problems and not worrying about it so much. It has been very freeing for me. I am getting more time on my computer now with out her following me around. so we are learniing to co exsist.

Maria I'm starting to think like Lily and the moter home would be the way to go. Because like you said at least you wouldn't have to get used to a new bed every time you turn around.

Wonder how our lady's in the sun are doing.

Paggy sorry i missed your birthday. Hope it was a fun day for you

Well have to go I waiting for the man to come and fix my hands free thingy in my car. You know with my dinosaur phone. He here! Bye Bye
Old 02-12-2004, 06:53 AM   #21  

Marnie did you use Slavika's recipe for the overnight oatmeal? I have one of those little crockpots. Never thought of using it for that. I bought it for a rueben dip recipe that I used to make.

Karen glad that sil is getting more independent. I can hear the freedom in your post.

Have any of your tried knitting with that eyelash yarn that is so popular now. Michaels has it on sale this week. Was out with friends last night and there were quite a few long scarves being worn by them. One of the gals knitted them. I think I could figure out how to knit one of those since there is no shaping.

Maria what were you testing with your email. Curious minds want to know. lol
Old 02-12-2004, 08:13 AM   #22  

S/C/G: 195/136/128

Default Warmer in MN!

Hello all

Maria you asked earlier about Karen's and my location. I know she's up in northern MN close to Brainerd - my guess is it's about 2 or 3 hours from me. I'm about 15 minutes from the Mall of America, so I'm really in the Twin Cities. Karen is that right?

Karen For my menus last week I used a sheet (start-up???)it has a green border. I think it keeps you at @ 20 points.

As far as Valentine's Day is concerned, DH's idea of a great Valentine's Day would be to get the car washed! Seriously, DH took tomorrow off and we're going to the Mall of America (I have a Christmas certificate to Nordstrom's I haven't used), do a little shopping and then we'll go to lunch. On Saturday I'm having grilled steaks, sauteed mushrooms and a blue cheese & walnut salad - it is scrumptious (Yes, I'll count the points!). I'm hoping to have an itsy, bitsy piece of chocolate, because I LOVE IT!

BTW, I got a nice email back from my "friend" at WW. She was kind to write and I told her that.

Are there any "valentine" smilies? Couldn't find them if there are.

Do any of you use facial routines? My skin always seems so dry?

I'll check in later

Marnie

Old 02-12-2004, 09:57 AM   #23  
Life Time 2001

KAren: So glad things are going better with SIL. Must be a load off your mind to Our Valentines will be the same as Every Sat. Watch a movie. And Im making Southwest Pizza for dinner. Cant get more exciting than that

Peggy: Happy Belated Birthday!!!!!!!! Havent seen that yarn. Is it really thin? Thats what it sounds like.

Marnie: Your Valentines dinner sounds wonderful. So glad you heard back from your friend.

Later! Have a meeting to go to
Old 02-12-2004, 12:37 PM   #24  
Net browser

Aloha Everybody

TRUDY and DH arrived here in Maui on Monday around 11:00 at night. Earlier in the evening I had chicken for din dins (the roasted kind from the supermarket) and I got food posioning. DH ate the same chicken as I did and was ok. I was just so sick and without getting to descriptive let me just say I know the toilet in this condo intimately. Because I was so sick DH said he would go by himself to meet Trudy and her husband but I wanted to go so badly, and had been just waiting for her. I had bought an "outfit" and two of the silk lei's for me to wear and then bought real flower lei's for Trudy/DH. On our way to the airport (I did NOT wear my outfit, but instead wore long pants and a fleece jacket), and carried a big bucket with me in case the worse was to happen. We stopped at the drug store for some Dimenhydrinate tablets for the nausea and I took those in the car and we continued on our way to the airport (about a 45 min drive). I actually took my "bucket" into the airport with me, hiding it in a plastic bag. The tablets seemed to kick in and I was feeling a tiny bit better. I had been watchingf or TRUDY and she was almost on top of me before I saw her so I guess I was not really with it. My "aloha greeting" did not work out as I had planned but I was happy to see to her. Yesterday, we did the "Road to Hana". I think it took us about 6 hours. As LILY knows the road is just a mega series of curves, and twists and would you believe that I got car sick or motion sickness. I had NEVER been car sick in my life before yesterday. YIKES. We got to see a Maui that I had not seen before and it was beautiful.
I just want to quickly say Happy Birthday to PEGGY and well done on the 3# loss MARNIE . MARIA since my DH is the auto/RV representative at the bank he could give me info on the buying or renting of a car or motorhome. In fact when I had told him of your plans he was already calculating the cost of gas etc that the trip would cost you and your DH. When we get home I will pass on any information to you that he gives me. If this post is filled with errors please just ignore them but the keys on this laptop are so different then my keyboard at home that I seem to be hitting a bunch of wrong keys. Aloha for now.
Old 02-12-2004, 12:53 PM   #25  
Fun Blonde

I hope I am doing this correctly. I just saw that I have not talked to you all since November. I believe that is when my life at work spun out of control.

Slavika and Trudy, I hope you are enjoying your tropical vacations. I have not had time to catch up on everybody, but I did read this last thread. Everyone seems to be doing well.

Maria, you are coming to the US and going through Oklahoma City? I want to know when so that maybe we can "hook up", as the kids say.

Karen, how are you doing with your SIL? Have you gotten used to each other yet? You are about to be through the cold part of your winter.

Marnie, I see that you are still quilting up a storm. I think we all were touched by your story because we all know what it is like to feel alone in a crowd. I think you just need to sit by different people and make more friends. I like to sit with different people and talk a little before the meeting just to get to know them.

Well, I have to get out of here. I am meeting a lady for lunch. I just had to share with you all my latest. I have been on blood pressure medicine since December. Now I am on the third kind. It has made me so sick. My doc said that if I lost weight it would probably all be okay anyway. So, I am. Anyway, last Friday I had a cancer exam and my number on the test was a little high, still safe, but a little high. I am so leary of this because that is the way my recurrence started out. Had another test and yesterday got the results. It is back to totally normal. YEA! And Hallelujah! Just praise God!

Hopefully, I can visit the site more often. It is just a madhouse here from 8-5 everyday.
Glenda
Old 02-12-2004, 03:12 PM   #26  

Glenda so good to hear from you and I am saying a prayer that your numbers were good. Take care of yourself.

Slavika so sorry to hear you had food poisoning. Not supposed to be sick on vacation. I get car sick and I know I would on that road. I got really sick one time in Gatlinburg going to Cades Cove. We had to stop for about 30 min. Now I take my motion sickness pills[a natural one with ginger] when I am going to do something like that. And always when I fly.

Marnie have fun at the Mall. I would love to see it someday. My dh told me that it is not heated-just from the body heat of everyone there. Is that true?

Got to go do something around here. I think we can write our names in the dust.
Old 02-12-2004, 06:20 PM   #27  

G'day all,

Firstly a very belated Happy Birthday to Peggy. Hope you had a great day with all those that are near and dear to you. I hope you will be part of this group to share your birthday for many years to come.

Ann I am sure you are right about the 'MUST' see states, I guess we cannot see everything and all will be new to us, we might just have to make a second trip
Your 'curves' classes sound ideal to me. I was only thinking this morning that I would like to join 'something' for excercise. I always enjoyed the weights until I strained muscles in my shoulders

Peggy thanks on your info on petrol, we thought petrol was a lot cheaper in the USA, we buy our petrol per litre at about 98 cents a litre which I think works out around $3.80 per gallon My dh's little 'dream machine' requires the uper grade petrol which can be as high as $1.20 per litre. I am also a motel type of camping person but in this instance we thought a motor home was a better way to go. Need to do lots more investigating and research before we finally make a descision.

Lily I have to tell you this but my dh has made up an excel spread sheet with our intended route and as we hear of places we MUST visit, ie Marnie told me about the Mall of America, it is added to the comments column. Your dh would be so impressed though we haven't entered costs yet!
In time I will email the spreadsheet to you all for your approval!!!

KAren pleased things with your s-i-l are settling down. I am not doing anything special for Valentines Day. Valentines Day has really only become 'fashionable' and more popular the last 10 years or so.

Marnie thanks for clearing that up for me as to where Karen is in relation to you. I think I get a bit confused when a state is called the same name as its main city. Something else to add in the comments 'collumn' on the spreadsheet.
Pleased your friend from WW send you a nice email back.
Nothing special about my facial routine, just heaps of moisteriser.

Slavika how disappointing to get food poisoning, hope you are much better now. I can relate to the car sickness, I get very carsickness on win dy roads unles I am driving. Hope this will be the only hick-up in your vacation. We would certainly welcome your dh's input and advice. Especially his views on us purchasing something and reselling again before we leave, would be interesting to know.
The time will go so quickly, I think this is your third or fourth trip to Hawaii since I joined the board. Before you know it you will be receiving a call to say we have arrived!!!!

Glenda so nice to see you and sorry about to hear of your health problems. I am sure half my problems would vastly improve if I lost some weight why oh why is it so difficult.
Yes you are on our spread sheet to visit and I definetly want to 'hook-up' when we come through Oklohoma City.
Take care, hope you get a chance to post a bit more often, I am sure everyone agrees that we love to hear from you.

In the very last post where Peggy mentioned about what she does about motion sickness, it reminded me when we were in New Zealand on a ferry (yes I get seasick on a ferry ) this lady told me about wristbands, they have a button type thing that is supposed to press on an accupuncture point on your wrist that prevents motion sickness. I have bought the bands but have not had a need to really try them out, she swore by them.

That is it!!!
Must go and tidy etc. before dh gets home this afternoon.

Cheers
Maria

Last edited by flaggies; 02-12-2004 at 06:26 PM.
Old 02-13-2004, 07:11 AM   #28  

Marnie you asked the other day about facial care. For my birthday my P&G friend gave a bottle of Olay Regenerating Serum. I love it. I use 2 drops in the morning and then 2 at night. I put it under a moisturizer. It is a little pricey but I think I would buy it again. She said Target had a decent price on it. I like the Loreal Hydra Renewal cream for a moisturizer. It's soft and fluffy-not heavy and greasy. I got it at WalMart.

Maria you have to plan to get the best gas price. They go up over the weekend and come back down on Tues. Yesterday it was $1.54 in the morning and an hour later it was $1.74. That's for unleaded. I think your trip sounds wonderful where ever you go. I would love to go out west. My sil loved Bryce Canyon I think better than the Grand Canyon.

Going to the Mall this morning to get a birthday present for my niece. She is coming into town this weekend. It's my inlaws 63rd wedding anniversary tomorrow. Going to be a busy one.
Old 02-13-2004, 04:46 PM   #29  
Member Florida Chick

Thumbs down

Hi everyone: Hope you have a 'lovely' Valentines Day. And a belated birthday wish for you Peggy.

Maria: I have not seen Bryce Canyon, but I couldn't imagine anything more impressive than the Grand Canyon. I too get motion sickness, but did not on our cruise. It was so calm. Gasoline is running about 1.62 to 1.68 per gal around here. It is hare to know what it will be, as OPEC keeps changing their price per barrel. Most motorhomes are really gas guzzlers. At least that is what our experience was. But it is nice to have your own bed. There is a large directory that is put out with listings of all the campgrounds in the U.S. and Canada, that would probably be helpful, if you decide on that option. It is good that you have lots of planning and research time.

Peggy: I'm interested in the 'eyelash' yarn. Sound as if it would have little fibers sticking out of it. I keep thinking I might even get time to knit something, but it would have to be for kids up north, as there is no need for scarves and mittens here. We have had Soth African wine, and some of it is really good. When we were there, we went on a winery tour, and we liked some, but some tasted just like vinegar.

Glenda: How nice to hear from you again. Sorry that your office is so wild. Glad that your numbers came back okay the second time. Sometimes I think the machinery that processes tests have a glitch now and again.

Slavika and Trudy: So sorry that you got ill, and maybe the Road to Hana was just too much for your stomach which had been upset already. I'm sure you all are having a wonderful time. When you have one of those big drinks served in a pineapple, you can think of us.

Marnie: I think you started on a hard project for a first one. It is not a simple thing to turn a heel on a sock. So good for you, and keep at it. You will master it, I'm sure. I use a sort of mixture of facial products. I Wash with Aveeno, then use an astringent by l'Oreal, and then a moisturizing cream by Nivea. It seems to be working okay.

Lily: Are you now enjoying your free Saturdays? I'm sure you'll find something fun to fill the time with. Are you affected by the grocery strikes? Been reading about them. What is your favorite California wine? There seem to be so many good ones.

I started our taxes today. Just the preliminaries. It is not my favorite job, but a necessary one. It is a rainy misty day today, so a good one to stay in and do paper work. Ta ta for now. Ann
Old 02-13-2004, 06:26 PM   #30  

G'day all,

Onto the next thread..........

Cheers
Maria
Closed Thread