Closed Thread

Old 05-09-2003, 11:07 AM   #1  
Turtle Extraordinaire

Default Turtle Club #97

Well then. We've all gotten very quiet, haven't we?

I've been struggling along. Finally got TOM but I still want to eat. The past few days I've been writing it down again. Such an ongoing struggle. I've been walking, anyway.

We have lots going on, people coming and us going. It's that time of year again. Things should calm down for us in late July! No doubt that's affecting my eating as well.

The lilacs and apple trees are blossoming, and the air smells just heavenly. A couple days each week, I park about 1/2 mile from the office and walk in, and I find myself stopping often to stick my nose in low-hanging branches. It's just wonderful.

Hope you all have a lovely weekend and enjoyable Mother's Day. We'll be in Canada with DH's mom (we're taking a car over to her).

Check in when you get a chance, OK? I know I could use the support.

Onward and downward,

Lauren
274/190/180s
Old 05-09-2003, 06:34 PM   #2  

Hello Turtles,

Long post here- Had to "get it out" and writing it down makes it seem more concrete-

Lauren- the fragrant blossoms sound wonderful. I think you colder weather folks appreciate spring more than us spoiled Southern California folks. I am with you on writing things down. I have trouble being honest with myself- sad but true. Things really came to a head last night- DH came unglued about my health (I feel great but the extra weight is gonna have consequences sooner or later). He feels I take alot of steps but am not doing those few little things that will take it all the way. I know it but .....
I know you have to change for yourself not someone else, but I also know that I have to face reality (kinda like seeing the Easter pics and being horrified at how I looked). So...............I made Dr.'s appointments for my yearly gyno plus the internist to see get a reality check on the body. I also registered for a marathon for October 12th (mostly will walk- some running- did it in 1999 & 2000 but am heavier and less fit now)- so that gives me a reasonable 5 months to train. I am also (you heard it here first) committing to do the Climb to the Top the prior weekend- you climb the stairs of the Library Tower in Los Angeles- approx. 72 stories- it is tallest building on West coast. I did that last year and completed it but I was the chubbiest person competing and I think people feared for me with my beet red face- gonna really train and better my time- took me about 43 minutes last year. I also have a brand new spiral notebook to journal ALL my food and my exercise/training. I am planning on 6 days on program with a "relaxed" 7th day. I am going to stick with WW points but in a higher range than suggested to account for the training- see how it goes- and really focus on good protein, fresh veggies and minimally processed carbs. I had my WW booklet that still showed when I was down 60 pounds a few years ago- well that is the past, I am starting anew- so I shredded it. Wow- sounds like alot- but I am ready. I will keep posting to assist in keeping me honest. Also going back to WW tomorrow morning. The weekly weigh-in, encouragement, and group focus will be a good tool I think.

Lin- how is your writing coming along?

To all the rest of you Turtles: HELLOOOOOOOOOOO- hope all is well and have a relaxed Mothers Day. We are going for a day trip to Catalina Island (an hour by boat).

Turtle on!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-11-2003, 08:25 AM   #3  
Turtle Buddy

Hi, turtles,

Thanks, Lauren, for starting a new thread. I've been super busy. I hit a snag in the book and had to pretty much start plotting again from scratch. That put me behind schedule, so I've been really focusing on it. I do not want to miss the deadline.

I am not doing anything with WW until I'm over this flu bug I've caught. I was so feverish, with chills, last night that I had to hold my jaw still with my hand so I didn't bite my tongue. Then, I have to figure out what I'm going to do because I don't want to stay where I am, both with my weight and my fitness level.

I'm glad to see that you and Torty are hanging in there and doing well. Good luck with your renewed efforts. I plan to join you when I get over this bug. I hope the rest of you are doing well, too. I look forward to hearing from you all, when you get a chance to post.

Happy Turtlin'!

Lin
Old 05-12-2003, 09:21 AM   #4  
Turtle Extraordinaire

WOW, Torty! Boy, are you inspirational. Good for you, going to the doctor to get the reality check and then setting those goals. And good for you going back to WW. That's what I need to do, too. I'm looking at when ... my parents arrive next week, and I'll only see them in the evenings, so I'm thinking I'll start after they leave. On the other hand, I'd like to be really focusing on the plan while they're here, or I'm afraid I could go way off the wagon. Hmmm.

I'm impressed with your fitness goals. I wonder if we have any walk marathons around here? I can currently walk 3 miles with no difficulty, and maybe 5 miles with some tiredness. Maybe I should aim for 10. I guess the only question is finding time to train.

Lin, I hope you feel better soon. That sounds awful. Good for you sticking with the story and aiming for that deadline. I know you've often been like me on this, starting things you don't finish. I'm so proud of you that you're really sticking with this one.

I've got to get to work, but quick update -- spent the weekend at MIL in Canada, didn't journal, ate too much. We're going away again this coming weekend, but this time I'm determined to journal. I do NOT like what I'm seeing on the scales or in my clothes.

Here's my plan for today: park 1/2 mile from work and walk; write everything I eat down; spend 10 minutes imagining myself thin (what I'll wear, how I'll move, how I'll feel). I can do that.

Onward and downward,

Lauren
Old 05-13-2003, 10:10 PM   #5  

Hello all! Hope you missing Turtles are lurking and know we are thinking about you!!!!!

Lin- that doesn't sound like a flu "bug" - sounds more like an attempt at alien possession!! If you're not better I hope you can get to a Dr. I second the congrats on sticking with your writing despite the set-back.

Lauren- I love the idea of spending 10 minutes visualizing the thin you. You always hear about championship athletes doing it and that it works. I kinda did it on Sunday. I saw ladies wearing fun summery clothes when we went to the island and I visualized myself in the outfits I liked best! Sounds like you are comfortable walking 3 miles so a fun short-term goal would be to do a 5K - most I have found have about $20 entry fee, benefit something, give you a nice T-shirt and accomodate walkers. Do your best & note your time- then try to better that the next time. Doing it in a group makes you go faster! Or even a 10K which is what - just over 7 miles? As for training- I think an hour or two a day, plus long sessions once a week will get me there.

Mother's day was wonderful. It was my second day "on plan"- I paddleboated with my son for an hour in the harbor (little concerned about the uneven weight distribution- but we zoomed all over and did not tip), mini-golfed (beat him by a stroke!), walked alot, enjoyed the views, and even ate OP at the pizza place we ended up at (peel & eat shrimp and a little of the guys' pizza crusts) I previewed the pictures my DH took and am gonna have him print the truly awful ones out along with the equally yucky Easter ones and put them in a notebook to lug around in my briefcase (added incentive) Will have him get some candid shots about once a month to track my progress- can't really fool the camera! I have also journaled EVERYTHING including exercise and what was hard for me during the day. O.K., O.K.- it has only been 4 days, but I feel great, and am even sleeping better!

Also went back to WW. What a shocker. Amazing how quickly I packed the pounds on. Am at my all time high!!!! Cute anecdote from the leader describing a woman who routinely picked up donuts with her morning coffee from the corner market. Asked why one morning she had no donut, she replied " I found that donuts make my clothes shrink"- (corny but cute way to look at it)

Turtle on!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-14-2003, 09:34 AM   #6  
Turtle Buddy

Hi, Turtles,

I'm feeling much better. That first fever was the worst of it. I had maybe one or two minor flareups after that. Now I just need to get rid of this cough.

Today, it's back to the book, now that my brain seems to be working again. I've been playing around with plot ideas in my head, but not writing much while I've been sick.

I've lost a few pounds. My appetite is way down. I wish I'd just eat this way all the time. I'm actually eating about the right amount.

You both have great fitness goals. That is the one piece I can't seem to maintain. I go for a long time, but then slide back off. And it's probably the most important piece of the puzzle.

I'd better get going. I have a lot to do, since I didn't do anything for almost a week. (Did I tell you I hate being sick? )

Happy turtlin'! (shades for summer--which I wish would get here. )

Lin
Old 05-15-2003, 02:00 PM   #7  

AH TURTLES!

I'm DONE! I DID IT!

This morning I took my last final! I don't find out grades for weeks yet, but I feel positive about all of my classes. I've got 6 weeks of summer school to do (work in the clinic on campus) but then my degree is DONE! After 10 years of trying, 5 colleges, one car accident, one new husband, and 5 new homes...it's DONE!

Everyone sounds like they're faced what needs to be done, and I know you all have the strength and perseverence to get this done.

Turtle on!
Old 05-15-2003, 07:08 PM   #8  

CONGRATULATIONS MOUSIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You must be so relieved/excited/tired/exhilerated!!!!!
I am sure you will enjoy your clinical work this summer as an entry to "real life" and a relief from books.

Turtle on!!!!!!!!!!!

PS: I don't know how to do all the cool/cute icons- so consider every applicable one pasted here........
Old 05-16-2003, 08:27 AM   #9  
Turtle Extraordinaire

Smile

HOORAY, MOUSIE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! There, I included some emoticons from Torty, too. That is SO cool. You should be so proud of yourself, what an accomplishment! WOO-HOO!!

Torty, way to go on those four days!! I'm going to go back to WW in early June, after all the traveling and house guests are done. APPLAUSE to you for doing it!

I've been writing it down but have only been within points a few days (not consecutive). We go to some friends for the weekend today, so ... I'll just keep writing it down. Also, they love to walk, so that's good.

Lin, glad you're feeling better. I think you're right, exercise is key. So is consistency. I haven't been doing real well with either one of late, and it shows. Let's make things turn around this summer!

I'll check back in after we return next week. Until then, onward and downward, turtles!

--Lauren
Old 05-19-2003, 11:21 AM   #10  
Turtle Buddy

Hi, Turtles,

YAY!! Erin, that is such great news!!

You've worked so hard and it's great to see it all pay off!!

Torty--the icons are easy. Click on the icon you want to use and it will put the code in the window. If you click on the "get more" link, a window with all of the available smilies will pop up. It has the smilie and the code. You can either click on the smilie or type in the code. Have fun!!

Lauren, have fun visiting your friends. I'm sure that your determination will fuel your consistency and you'll get back on track again.

I'm finally not sick any more. I couldn't believe how much that thing wiped me out. I took an afternoon nap every day except one last week. I had no energy. But I'm better now. And I have a lot of catchup work to do on my outline. I really need to finish the outline before this weekend. I want to take it with me and discuss it with my son. Then I need to write a 10-page scene, query letter, and get it all critiqued, polished up and in the mail.

As for the weight loss stuff--this weekend I'm buying new shoes. Then I'm going to start walking again. That's the first thing I'm going to do. I'll worry about the rest once that's a habit again.

I hope all of the rest of you are doing well and will get a chance to post soon.

Happy turtlin!

Lin
Old 05-20-2003, 01:31 PM   #11  
Turtle Extraordinaire

Hi, turtles.

Lin, glad you're over your bug. And WTG on getting the walking shoes!

I've continued to struggle with my eating. We had a great time in Columbus, but I didn't count -- had ice cream both days. Did some walking, not enough. So today my weight is up again. I'm officially 13.5 pounds higher than my lowest last fall. That's more than I've allowed myself to gain in a few years.

My parents arrive this Thursday for a couple of weeks. My plan: to write down what I eat, even when I really, really don't want to. And once they leave, I plan to rejoin WWers.

I find that as soon as I veer off into Points ****, I stop writing it down. It's as though if I don't see it in writing, it didn't happen. Totally weird, the mind games.

Yesterday I bought a blank book. On the cover is Winston Churchill's quote: "Never, never, never give up." I also bought the same thing on a refrigerator magnet. This will be my inspiration book. I'm not sure what I'll put in it yet -- inspirational quotes, photos of myself both fat and thin, thoughts I'm having about all this. I love the book.

I also bought a new journal to record points in; I'll start using it when I rejoin WWers. It has lemons all over it. No particular significance, I just like lemons. They're cheerful. Using the new journal will be my reward for starting WWers again. I also plan to use Lin's occasional strategy of giving myself stickers for days I stay OP.

My next weight reward goals are:

189 -- A small throw rug for the kitchen
184 -- A facial
179 -- Not sure
174 (100-pound mark) -- use my gift certificate to one of my favorite clothing stores. DH gave me the certificate last fall, but I won't let myself use it until I lose 100.

Onward and downward,

Lauren
274/192.5/189
Old 05-20-2003, 09:17 PM   #12  

Hello All Turtles!

Lin- are your feet feeling happy now? Shoes can make a world of difference. Do they feel like walking, walking, walking...????? Sounds like that could be the missing piece of the puzzle for you.

Lauren- I am with you on the pain of the gain. At least you are honestly facing it and planning to tackle it. Sometimes the hardest step. Your Winston Churchill blank book sounds great. I am using my spiral journal to record what is tough or helping each day, and I also got a cute blank book which I just started using to do more of "gratitude" type thoughts (just a few sentences at the close of the day, but I try to find the moments during the day and hold on to them)- I got the idea from Oprah's website a few years ago, and when I did it faithfully along with the honest food and exercise journaling was when I really had progress. I've actually shockingly managed to stay within points now for 10 days (using 30/day) and have strived to only eat things I really enjoy which helps alot. Also found that a non-fat latte (3 points) gets me through that late afternoon/pre-dinner hump. Got to look for a cheaper home-made alternative since Starbucks is way to pricey- but since it is working I'm going with it for now. Will be trying out my own version I can make at work and sip on till dinner- gotta play with some combos. Also got my bloodwork back and it was good, including cholesterol!!!! Just some goofy enzyme which can indicate future heart issues was a tad up so suggested I take a baby aspirin each day.

My baby turtles are loving the warm weather (their kind of climate since they are Southern natives).

Turtle on!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 05-25-2003, 11:00 AM   #13  
Turtle Buddy

Hi, Turtles,

Well, Lauren, I think your rewards are great. I know what you mean about not writing it down when you go off, especially if you go off for a long time. Your blank books sound wonderful. I think your plan to rejoin WW is a good one. Good luck to you. You'll get there, because you are so determined. And persistent.

Torty, I still haven't bought new shoes. We just didn't have time to do everything we wanted to do in San Jose yesterday. So, I'm going to do some shopping here in town and if I can't find what I need, I'll wait until we go back to San Jose next month and buy them there.

Woohoo!! That must feel really good knowing that your cholesterol and stuff is fine. Being healthy is the most important thing, I think. Congratulations!

I may be offline for a bit. My mom has paid for our car repairs and she gave us a budget for a computer. We're making the credit card payments for her every month. We couldn't find a computer that had what we wanted for a reasonable amount of money. They all had lots of extra stuff we didn't want, but not some really crucial stuff like good video. So, we bought parts and we're upgrading our current computer. If all goes well, I'll be up and running again later today. If not, well, if we can get what we need here in Salinas, it will be tomorrow. But if we have to go back to San Jose to find what we need, it may be a couple of days. Anyway, I just wanted to let you all know.

I have a plot. I'm getting some cirtiques on it because I know it needs some tweaking. But I'm too close to it right now, so I'm letting it simmer. I'm starting to work on writing a bit of the story. I need to send in a 10-page scene, so I need to start getting a feel for how I want to write it.

I've been eating a lot less lately. I haven't been counting points, but I've just not been very hungry. I'm lis
Old 05-25-2003, 11:00 AM   #14  
Turtle Buddy

Hi, Turtles,

Well, Lauren, I think your rewards are great. I know what you mean about not writing it down when you go off, especially if you go off for a long time. Your blank books sound wonderful. I think your plan to rejoin WW is a good one. Good luck to you. You'll get there, because you are so determined. And persistent.

Torty, I still haven't bought new shoes. We just didn't have time to do everything we wanted to do in San Jose yesterday. So, I'm going to do some shopping here in town and if I can't find what I need, I'll wait until we go back to San Jose next month and buy them there.

Woohoo!! That must feel really good knowing that your cholesterol and stuff is fine. Being healthy is the most important thing, I think. Congratulations!

I may be offline for a bit. My mom has paid for our car repairs and she gave us a budget for a computer. We're making the credit card payments for her every month. We couldn't find a computer that had what we wanted for a reasonable amount of money. They all had lots of extra stuff we didn't want, but not some really crucial stuff like good video. So, we bought parts and we're upgrading our current computer. If all goes well, I'll be up and running again later today. If not, well, if we can get what we need here in Salinas, it will be tomorrow. But if we have to go back to San Jose to find what we need, it may be a couple of days. Anyway, I just wanted to let you all know.

But--yay! I'm sitting here with my new monitor and I can see stuff. The colors are perfect. It's such a joy!! I need to tweak the settings a bit, but we got a great deal on it. We got a discount because the box had been opened and a $50 rebate, which made it the same price as one that wasn't quite as good that we had been considering. YAY!!

I have a plot. I'm getting some cirtiques on it because I know it needs some tweaking. But I'm too close to it right now, so I'm letting it simmer. I'm starting to work on writing a bit of the story. I need to send in a 10-page scene, so I need to start getting a feel for how I want to write it.

I've been eating a lot less lately. I haven't been counting points, but I've just not been very hungry. I'm listening to my body. But exercise is the main thing. My son's girlfriend gave me some Richard Simmons stuff she wasn't using anymore. I'm not that interested in the food plan, but the cookbook has some interesting-looking recipes. And she gave me some new videos to try. That will be fun.

Happy Turtlin'! I hope to hear from some of you lurkers and absent busy members soon.

Lin

Last edited by Lin S; 05-25-2003 at 11:03 AM.
Old 05-30-2003, 06:51 PM   #15  

Well- pretty quiet here Turtles!

Lin- hope the computer "re-vamp" goes well for you- I know it can be done inexpensively if you know what you are doing- unfortunately I always have to pay for "expert" advice- usually from someone more then 20 years my junior!!!! When is your writing project due? Sounds like you are on-track- "go for it"!!!!

To all the rest of you Turtles- hope all is well and plugging along. I'm doing really well staying OP & exercising. Had a treadmill test done yesterday & it was "A-o.k." - one less thing to worry about. I'm super stressed about work- but staying on track with food is also keeping me focused there. Nice change from my usual outine.

Turtle on!!!!!!!!!!
Closed Thread