Closed Thread

Old 03-17-2003, 09:29 AM   #1  

Default 50 or more pounds week of March 17

If you have 50 or more pounds to lose, this is the group for you! So jump on in and join; you'll be sure to get a warm welcome!

Hi [b]Bandit![b] Way to go on the five miles; sounds like you are having a great OP week. I love home and garden shows; this time of year, especially, it's so much fun to plant stuff and reorganize the house. You know, I think having an attractive & peaceful environment is one of the keys to weight loss, too. I know that when DH and I started to lose weight, we also started getting our house in much better shape. We redid our closet with those wire organizer thingies, and got our kitchen organized, throwing out stuff we never used. Eventually, I got to give away all my larger size clothes ... boy was that fun! Anyway, I really do think there is a connection there somewhere.

Today is the last day of our spring break, so we're working like crazy to get things done. I moved the old computer (just bought a new iMac!) over to Dad's so I can help him with his taxes. And I'm boxing up old books I don't need, to either give them away or sell them on half.com. Have a few other projects that are due later this week, so will work on those this afternoon.

Hope everyone's having a great Monday! JOYce, hope you're feeling better! Nascar girl, how was the weekend?
Regards,
Jan
Old 03-17-2003, 11:00 AM   #2  

Hello JanetMae, I am new here, but thought I would write... I have 50 pounds to loose. I have to say I agree with you about having pleasants surroundings being conducive to loosing weight, and I think thats the answer for excersizing. Its just that I wouldn't get my heart rate up....BUT I reallly hate excersize
Do you watch the all those redecorating shows on TV? They almost get me motivated!! lol... We will be moving in the next year or so and I am really looking forward to decorating our new home. In the meantime I have to clean out the old! And lose weight at the same time!!!
Have a good day!
Old 03-17-2003, 01:36 PM   #3  

TOP O' THE MORNIN' TO YA!!

HAPPY ST. PATRICK'S DAY!!

Okay Jan and JOYce, don't faint. Yes, it is Janet (Kudzu). I know it's been awhile since I posted, but I hope y'all will let me jump back in. Things have been so hectic here, as usual, but I have tried to keep up with everybody. We have so many new faces. That is GREAT!!

For all you new posters, I'm one of the people Jan referred to not long ago. I've been posting almost from the beginning (several years ago), but there are several of us who haven't been able to post lately. Carol, Texaslady and Linda, please come back. I miss y'all. Anyway, I'm 48, live in Mississippi, was divorced after being married for almost 20 years, have a beautiful 19-year old daughter and a future son-in-law who I adore...along with a Dalmation, Sheltie and several kittens who were brought to my house temporarily after their mother was killed...and they are still here.

When I joined WW several years ago, I lost over 40 pounds. Since that time, I quit going to meetings and decided to do it on my own. I did great for awhile, but I have slowly started letting the pounds creep back on. These ladies here have been such an inspiration to me. Not only did I find support in my weight loss struggles, but we became good friends. We even held a 3FC Reunion in Texas year before last and hope to do that again sometime soon.

Since DD's boyfriend has been gone to Ft. Knox, DD has gained a little weight. She asked me if I would consider joining WW again with her, so we joined together last Tuesday. Tomorrow will be our first weigh-in. Of course, she has much less to lose than me, but she is so excited. It has been so nice having her involved. For example, after our trip to the grocery store, she took all the goodies and separated them into snack size bags and marked them...just like I used to do. It was nice having someone else do that. I did okay on WW on my own, but it will be nice to have that "accountability" again. Maybe that will be what I need to inspire me to goal.

Well, I hope I haven't completely bored y'all. It really is wonderful to see so many new faces here. Reading your posts has also inspired me...y'all are all doing so great!

Janet (kudzu)
Old 03-17-2003, 11:18 PM   #4  

Hi Janet!! Wow, is it great to hear from you again! I am so glad to hear that everything is going so well. That's really wonderful that your DD has joined WW with you; that should be a lot more fun, for both of you. I'm sure you'll do great at your WI tomorrow night! And I agree, we need to plan another 3FC get-together! JOYce will be coming to Texas in late August, not exactly sure of the date yet but she believes it will be the last week. I would love to host another reunion here, so everybody, be thinking about that time frame and we'll talk more about it as it gets closer!

Welcome, Wannabme! Great to have another Canadian on board! I love those decorating shows too, as well as the food channel, of course. My favorite show right now is Chef Kathleen's "Cooking Thin." We liked it so much we bought her cookbook, too. If you have time, tell us more about yourself!

Bandit, six miles, you go, girl!
Hi to Texaslady, Linda, JOYce, Carol, Nascar Girl, Hottie, Kelly, Lilithu, Julie, Sherriann, Loon, and Tonya! Stop in and say hello when you can!

Regards,
Jan
Old 03-18-2003, 09:49 AM   #5  

Hi there, Well its another cloudy day here, but at least its warmin' up .
My name is Joy, and I'm a SAHM with twin 6 year old girls and a 9 year old boy, three dogs and one fish. I've been married for 12 years.
We live on 5 acres with few neighbours and I love it.
Unfortunately, having all those wonderful babies has put weight on my beautiful self. Sooooo I started WW a week ago and go for a weigh in today!! My sister is joining me, so at least I have her around, alas, she is moving out of the province soon.
Today I rode my recumbent bike, whoopie! I really don't like excersize However, I believe its essential for good health, never mind weight loss. (Is there anything I left out????)
Bye for now,
Joy
Old 03-18-2003, 11:31 AM   #6  

Wannabme, I loved what you said about putting weight on "your beautiful self." I need to work on remembering that I am beautiful no matter what weight I am. Good luck on your weigh in. My first weigh in is also today. I know what you mean about not enjoying exercise. The only thing I have found that I truly enjoy is water aerobics. I also like walking, but I'm thinking more of leisurely strolls through the woods. I'm sure you get plenty of exercise keeping up with your children, and they are at such wonderful ages. I'm also a twin...I have a twin brother.

Jan, thanks for the welcome back. Whatever happened with the magazine article? Any word yet??

Well, I just wanted to wish Wannabme good luck. Hi to everyone else. It's beautiful here...sunny and almost 70 degrees. I guess my wish for snow isn't going to come true this winter.

Janet (Kudzu)
Old 03-18-2003, 11:35 AM   #7  
Inchworm

JANET!! I couldn't believe my eyes! so glad you are back!!
That is great that DD is joining you in the weight loss journey!
dividing those snacks into baggies is verrry good idea! I recently went to TJ's and stocked up on some things, but ended up eating a whole bag at a time.

My trip to Texas will be for dgd's graduation from Basic training. I'm almost sure it will be the last week in August. She has a meeting with her recruiter next week, I'll ask her to ask him.

Welcome wannabme I checked out your journal today, i will have to get some crabmeat for a salad! I love the stuff, especially the low points!

Jan sounds like you are busy as ever! have you thought any more about being a WW leader? When yo mentioned last week, about how great your leader is, i thought of you as a leader. You would be terific!
And how is dh doing with his loss?

I'm still coughing and sneezing, so will most likely postpone my trip to Mother's for her bday later this week.

Last edited by gmalil; 03-18-2003 at 11:46 AM.
Old 03-18-2003, 03:36 PM   #8  

Hey JOYce. Thanks for the welcome back!! I really hope we can all arrange to get together in August. However, your post reminded me of something. DD's boyfriend was finally cleared medically to start Basic Training on Monday. He does have damage to his spleen from doing PT while having mono (have I told y'all that story?), but he was cleared to retake his physical test. Of course, he has basically done nothing but stay in the barracks for the last seven weeks, so he may not have regained his strength enough to pass. He would have been graduating tomorrow and moving on to AIT, but instead they have kept him there for nine weeks and he hasn't even started yet. Anyway, your post reminded me that he may also be graduating in August if he completes basic and AIT. The only problem is that he will be graduating in Kentucky. There is no use worrying about that now though...it's way too early and so much can change. Things will work out if they are meant to.

You are right about it being nice having DD join me at WW. Of course, I would rather her not have to go at all, but she has gained a little since her boyfriend has been gone. We have both done good this first week I think, but she ended up going to Baton Rouge for a St. Paddy's Day parade so she wasn't as careful about her points as she would have been if she had stayed home. I don't know why they went to Baton Rouge because Jackson has the 4th largest parade in the United States. People even come here from other countries for the parade...plus we have the Sweet Potato Queens (it's a suth'n thang). I think DD spent most of her time in Baton Rouge worrying about the serial killer there. They had just found another body on Friday and I think it really scared all the girls, especially since most of the killings have been college students.

I'll let y'all know later how we do at weigh-in.

Janet (Kudzu)

P.S. JOYce, I hope you feel better!!
Old 03-18-2003, 04:46 PM   #9  
Inchworm

Thanks Janet for that update. I have wondered where your dd's bf was in his training. last I heard, he was sick.
Hope he is doing lots better. speaking of Kentucky.......
We are looking at brochures fom Kentucky and Tennessee as a possibility for our 'flying' vacation this yr., probably in September. We try to find a place where we have never been and that looks like the place this yr. (to use out frequent flier miles)

Jan I bet you will be back in school the end of August?!
when is yor summer break?

All this talk about EXERCISE is making me very nervous! I have been so "dormant" it is scary. I haven't done water aerobics since I got upset with the Y and cancelled my membership. Better health is coming and I will get out there and walk regularly! I will, I will!
Old 03-18-2003, 09:15 PM   #10  

Red face

Okay: I officially should be awarded the Dufus medal of honor. I just NOW realized that you all post per week and don't continue at the same place where I "subscribed to." I am SOOOO message board inept! OOPS!! joke on me!
I hope you are having a great week! I am leaving on a 5-day vacation and have some goals to work out / ideas to help me through-to focus on things that will help me feel good NOW about myself while I lose weight-if any of you have suggestions or ideas you'd like to share, please do! Also, if you have any ideas on how I can quit comparing myself to others that would be great too!!
Thanks and have a great week!! Sorry I was a "dufus" about the whole posting thing! OOPS!!
Old 03-18-2003, 10:38 PM   #11  
Inchworm

Thumbs down

hottie I'm so glad that you found us again! I have done the same thing...in fact just this morning I was wondering why nobody had posted then I had a 'revelation' and found the new thread. (I'll blame it on my stuffy head.)
dh thinks I need to go to the doctor, so will give him a call tomorrow, although that is his 1/2 day so probably won't see him til the next day.
Where are you going on vacation hottie
Be sure and let me know when you figure out how not to compare yourself with others. so frustrating! and that could be why it is so easy for me to give up.
Old 03-19-2003, 10:43 AM   #12  

Hi Janet! I hope your DD's fiance does ok with the new physical test, and is feeling much stronger! Re: the magazine article, they called me again and summarized what they're going to quote me on, and I think they may put a picture in; they asked for several. I'm a little uneasy about saying how much I've lost, as I haven't even told my closest friends that, but what the heck ... if it helps someone else start a walking program, it's worth it! And anyone who knew me when I was heavy could easily guess that it was a hundred pounds, anyway.

Hottie, message boards take some getting used to; I'm glad you found us again!! I hope you are enjoying your trip. Re: self-image, I think positive self-talk helps a lot. Think about all the good qualities you have and the many achievements of your life so far. Spend time and/or a little $$ on yourself, like for exercise gear, makeup, accessories, etc. Stay away from negative people or those who are overly critical of everyone. Our weight doesn't define who we are; if we can separate our body image from our self image, I think that helps...

Bandit, you are really racking up those miles! Way to go!

JOYce, I hope you were able to get that doctor's appt today, and that you are starting to feel better! Re: working for WW, I might look into that this summer; right now is kind of busy at school. And yes, we do go back in early August, but I can always take some time off for our reunion! No problem there! I'm keeping my fingers crossed that it will all come together this time.

Gotta run ... conference period is almost over. Everyone have a great Wednesday!
Regards,
Jan
Old 03-19-2003, 02:16 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 220/197/160

Height: 5'-3"

Hi Janet:

Thanks for reminding where I should be posting - Hottie & I have the same little problem.

So, as of now I have walked 9 miles. Those tapes are sooooo
great.

Hi to all newcomers & hope everyone has a great OP week.

Bye for now & hope I don't get lost again :-)
Old 03-19-2003, 03:39 PM   #14  

Talking

Thanks for not laughing at my ineptness...at least now I know where you all are ! HA!!

Good tips, Janet Mae: I am a visual type person and I need to have something with me that will remind me to be good to me--including NO "negative self-talk" I'm focusing on what I need to do when I go on vacation..I'll be gone a week-hope I can find you all when I get back! HA!
take care, each and every one of you!! and have an AWESOME week!
Old 03-19-2003, 05:04 PM   #15  

Hi Bandit, thanks for the tip on the WATP tape! I got the CD, and will try it this evening. Boy, you are really doing lots of exercise! I think it really makes a difference, and not just in the rate of loss, but in how you feel, too. I'll bet you're already feeling more energy, right?

Hottie, I hope you have a terrific vacation! Tell us all about it when you get back!
Closed Thread