Closed Thread

Old 06-18-2004, 11:26 PM   #16  
Losing on the Beach

S/C/G: 205/ticker/164

Height: 5'5

Oh I also found a little treat to give my DH at Dollar General in the 10 for $ bin, they had little bags of sugar babies for only one point a bag ...very good in a pinch
oh and I know your daughter cant have chocolate but the snack size 3 musketeers are one point as well in case anyone else is getting tips from this thread
Old 06-21-2004, 06:18 PM   #17  

Hansen's Diet Sodas are good. Caffeine free and sweetened with splenda.
Hard boiled eggs
Cheese and crackers
Thermos filled with pasta and sauce (could be lighter cream sauce, or maybe a gravy)
Spinach and cheese quiche is really good too.

Does she have access to a microwave?

Quesadillas made with a good flavored cheese and high fiber tortillas. Don't get the bland kraft cheese. Splurge a bit on something really flavorful, and you'll find you need less.

Mini-pizzas - toppings on an english muffin

What about making a mock tomato sauce? Maybe cook and puree some carrots and squash and add italian seasonings and fresh garlic. Are onions out? If not, brown some onions and add it to the concoction. Also, are yellow or white tomatoes also vetoed? I find I can eat yellow/white tomatoes without having allergy issues. You may need to find them at farmers markets or places that stock heirloom tomatoes. It could be worth it though.

Is your daughter going to meetings? I started attending meetings at 13, and I did really well on the program. At her age it's easy to blame you for her dietary failures, but she needs to be actively involved in it to succeed long term.

Is she really worried about people making fun of her food? If it looks diet-like (cottage cheese on a lettuce leaf), that seems kinda pathetic. But if the food looks and smells yummy, I'm sure her friends will be envious of the good stuff she is eating. I had friends in school who brought full meals in tupperware, others who brought sushi, and others who munched ramen from a package. No one really cared (unless it looked really good, and then they'd beg for a bite).

Can she enroll in a class or sport or activity that might raise her confidence a bit? Maybe there's a healthy cooking class in the community somewhere, or an art class at a local school? Is she interested in babysitting? Maybe encourage her to take a cpr and first aid class so she can be a better sitter?

If she is more sure of who she is, I think she'd be less likely to care about what classmates say. If she is getting teased, please remind her that junior high/high school is not life. Encourage her activities and interests so that she can tell off bullies when they try to make her feel inferior.
Old 06-22-2004, 02:44 PM   #18  

Those cookies could be making her hungry. Try something like the flavored rice cakes if she wants some that tastes sweet. Processed carbs are terrible.
Old 06-24-2004, 07:12 AM   #19  

Thanks for the great ideas!
She went to her first ww meeting two days ago and on her first day on ww, ate out TWICE as it was our wedding anniversary and we had errands and doctor's appointments in the middle of the day. But, she survived her first day, really tried and spent 20 minutes on the treadmill as well. She did use 5 flexpoints, as we ate out twice, but today will be eating at our house and will have much more control.
She's, thankfully, out of school for the summer now and we won't be worrying about take along low point things for a little while, but that doesn't mean that I consider this thread closed, as it can serve others who take along lunches and snacks as well as I need ideas, still, for the fall when she IS back in school.
Also, she needs low point, filling and "interesting" things for at home as well.
Thanks!
Linda
Closed Thread