Closed Thread

Old 06-03-2004, 07:10 AM   #1  

Question low point, but filling take along snacks and lunches????

Help!
I need some ideas for take along snacks and lunches that will make my 13 year old happy. She's asked me to help her lose weight, but it's very hard when she's not always at home. She needs interesting and filling things that won't necessarily embarrass her in front of kids at school or at her after school programs.
She has acid reflux and is overweight and will be under a doctor's care for weight loss in the next week or so. She is limited and cannot have chocolate, tomatoes (due to the acid), and caffeine of any kind. This is very hard.
Thanks if you have any ideas!
Linda in NH
Old 06-03-2004, 08:51 AM   #2  
Cowboy Up Chick

Quakes, Baked Doritos, sandwiches.
Old 06-03-2004, 01:27 PM   #3  

Default Hope this helps.

Linda,

Fat Free cream cheese mixed with diced carrots and spread on celery stick pieces. But with your daughter I would use the 1/3 less fat cream cheese or neufchatel cream cheese. She probably would like the taste better.

Poach a chicken breast and when cooled dice, add diced celery, carrot or other raw veggies that she likes and mix with lite mayo and some herbs. I like dill or chives. Then either make a sandwich with whole wheat bread or she can take the chicken salad in a small plastic container and spread it on triscuit crackers when she is ready for lunch.

Does she like chick peas. If so make a hummas. Put a drained can of chick peas in a processor, add garlic, some fresh lemon juice and a little extra virgin olive oil, some can chicken broth and puree. This can be a dip for veggies or even spread on a whole wheat pita for a sandwich.

If I think of more I will post for you.
Old 06-03-2004, 06:12 PM   #4  

What are Quakes????
I love the hummus idea, especially. She loves that and I could put that and pita bread in to a lunch and she would not be embarrassed in front of the other kids.
Today I made her a 5 point Lenders bagel sandwich that included lite cream cheese. I packed carrot sticks and only TWO cookies (she used to have 6 every day!) with bottled water.
She came home starving, though, with a headache from being so hungry.
I can't wait til she sees the doctor and we might possibly get a menu for her to follow. When school gets out it will be easier for her to eat "right" at home.
Are the baked Doritos good? We've never tried them, but I really like the WOW chips that Lays makes. How many points are the baked Doritos?
Thanks for the suggestions!
Linda
Old 06-03-2004, 09:01 PM   #5  

Linda I believe the Quakes are like mini rice cakes. I have had the baked chips and they are good. I don't remember the points off hand. Headaches are usually something that goes away after a day or two.
Old 06-03-2004, 09:50 PM   #6  
Losing on the Beach

S/C/G: 205/ticker/164

Height: 5'5

ff pringles, peanut butter low fat granola bars, baked doritos are 2 pts a serving I think, and ff vanilla pudding cups, my daughter is only 10 and LOVES those
Old 06-04-2004, 06:56 AM   #7  

Christian and Dotti, thanks!
She is SUCH a picky eater and this is so hard for me. She HATES pudding, which would count as a very badly needed milk for her. She HATES milk, and has since she was a kid. I give her calcium every day and try to include cheeses in her diet. I'm going to try those peanut granola L.F. bars, maybe she'll like those?
I just bought (am spending a forture on stuff for her that she isn't liking, by the way) calcium fortified Nutri Grain waffles for her yesterday and she refuses to try them.
It's very hard to "help" her when she isn't being cooperative about at least trying stuff.
I'll eat the waffles, at least, they are fairly low in points and I do like them with the sugar free syrup or fruit.
On the positive side, I think she looks a little better after eating a bit healthier these last few days. No more dark circles under her eyes and she has color in her cheeks.
Thanks for the support, we'll "get there".
Linda in sunny NH
Old 06-06-2004, 08:44 PM   #8  

If she is coming home hungry that is not good. Try to stress to her that drinking water can help keep you full and she also needs a good balance of whole grain carbs, protein and fat (doesn't take much!). I know if I eat mainly carbs, for breakfast for instance, I am STARVING in like an hour so.

There are some good low fat cheese if she likes cheese, maybe some thin crust pizza with lotsa veggies and low fat cheese, does she like soup at all? Chili? hard boiled eggs with some salt and pepper, fruit for snacks, peanut butter and jelly sandwhich (I like PB and bananna too!). It might take some time to find out what she likes but you will. If she needs something sweet, mini choc bars are good (I buy ones that are 1 pt each...mini Krackle, Hersheys bars, etc) and Kudos M&M ones are only 2 pts each.

Skinnymini
Old 06-07-2004, 10:14 AM   #9  

Check out the recipes on here and DWLZ.com There are some great cookie and brownie recipes. Can you take your daughter to the grocery with you to help choose what she wants to eat? Make her responsible for it too. It will give you a chance to discuss budgeting and making healthy choices. And, you won't be buying things that she is going to refuse to eat.
Old 06-07-2004, 03:36 PM   #10  

Thanks, Emerald and Skinnymini! Some of what you guys suggested sounds great. Unfortunately, due to her acid reflux and doctor's orders she can't have chocolate or tomoatoes right now, which is part of why this is so frustrating for me! Some of the low fat ice cream desserts and even no pudge brownies are something she would ordinarily like to eat, but she's really in trouble medically.
I do think I should take her to the grocery store with me as let her select some things. I can't wait until her doctor's appointment so we can get a handle on her weight loss program and have permission for her to go to weight watchers with me, that will probably help her.
She loves soup, but that is hard to seld along to school, espcecially in hot 90 degree weather, but I will be making lots of soup for her at home, I think.
Thanks!!!!!!!
Linda
Old 06-09-2004, 07:36 PM   #11  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Hi derrydaughter,

Some snacks I eat are:

baby carrots with hummous
whole wheat crackers with low fat cream cheese or low-fat peanut butter
green grapes
sliced strawberries
cucumber slices with low fat dip
snackwells vanilla cookies (2)
ginger snaps (2)
low-fat pringles
24 cashews or 15 almonds (unsalted)
baked tostitos or baked chips as a treat
quaker rice cakes
low fat cheese with sliced pears or apples

You may want to see what her doctor says before loading up on food for your daughter - he may be able to refer you to a nutritionist for help.

Someone mentioned getting your daughter to shop with you - that's a great idea! Also if she starts helping you prepare her lunches she may be more responsive to eating them too - kind of an "I made this!" moment.
Old 06-10-2004, 09:22 AM   #12  
Bewitchin' in the kitchen

Here are some lunch ideas from an article I found at ivillage. You can substitute low-fat versions for some of the items and skip the tomatoes since your daughter can't eat them. Hope this helps.

10 Change-of-Pace Lunch Ideas

1. Date-Nut Bread with Cream Cheese, Celery Sticks, Whole Apple, yogurt-Covered Raisins, Milk

2. Pasta with Pesto, Cherry Tomatoes, Pear, Milk
*substitute slices cold chicken for tomatoes

3. Peanut Butter and Apple Butter on Whole-Wheat Bread, Banana Chips, Vanilla Yogurt, Orange, Milk

4. Baked Chicken Pieces, Baked Tortilla Chips, Red Pepper Strips, Seedless Grapes, Milk

5. Bagel with Cream Cheese and Tomato, Baby Carrots, Fresh Strawberries, Milk
*substitute cucumber slices for the tomato

6. Whole Wheat Ham Sandwich with Mustard and Lettuce, Pretzels, Melon Cubes, Milk

7. Tomato and Mozzarella on a Hard Roll, Whole-Wheat Crackers, Nectarine, Milk
*substitute low fat ham for tomato or use cucumber slices and hummous

8. Turkey Breast, Sprouts and Honey Mustard on a Sub Roll, Baked Potato Chips, Banana, Milk

9. Hummus and Pita Chips, Assorted Fresh Veggies (Celery or Carrot Sticks, Pepper Strips), Peach, Milk

10. Tabbouleh with Tomatoes and Diced Chicken on Pita Bread, Yogurt, Dried Pineapple Slices and Apricots, Milk
*skip the tomatoes

PS. a sandwich that I really enjoy is whole wheat bread, pita or a tortilla spread with hummous then add a layer of alfalfa sprouts, a slice of low fat chees and some advocado slices - delicious!
Old 06-10-2004, 05:32 PM   #13  

Thanks for all those wonderful sounding suggestions! I'll maybe print them out and let her select what she'd like, kind of like a menu! : )
I've taken to slicing up peppers and cucumbers and putting them with baby carrots on a place in the refrigerator. I notice she's eating tons of those!
Thanks again,
Linda
Old 06-17-2004, 11:42 PM   #14  
Losing on the Beach

S/C/G: 205/ticker/164

Height: 5'5

Talking

Found a few more kid pleasing snacks tonight

fig newton snack bars 2 pts
rice krispy bars 2 pts
reduced fat wheat thins 16 for 3 pts
snack size bag of funyuns 3 pts
hope this helps

Last edited by Christian; 06-17-2004 at 11:44 PM.
Old 06-18-2004, 08:05 AM   #15  

Great ideas, Thanks! I just LOVE those rice krispie bars, didn't realize they were that low on points!
Linda
Closed Thread