Closed Thread

Old 04-09-2001, 09:29 AM   #1  
Is is spring yet??

Question

I need advice - I have PF (have since 9/99) and its been really good - I am wearing the right sneakers with support etc. No big problems for like I year. Now all of a sudden my feet are sore again. Not too bad - but enough to bug me. I mean does this mean I need different sneakers. I am wearing the Brooks Beast from Fall of 99 (I bought a few pairs last year) and they were always my savior. Maybe I need something new?

Anybody have any advice? I am out of my mind - I mean I am stretching too. I don't know what else to do - those 2 things always worked fine.

HELP!!

Thanks. Tara
Old 04-09-2001, 11:26 AM   #2  
REC

Do a search on the web for this, as there are lots of websites with exercises. I also had this and start feeling it coming back. Here's what I did and am starting to do again.

1. Massage along the plantar facia, ball, heel, and toes
2. Do ankle circles
3. Spread open and clench your toes
4. Point and flex the foot and toes
5. Pick up a towel with your toes
6. Bend ankle toward you and away. Do it left to right
7. Play with a tennis ball with your toes and instep
8. Do any exercise you can think of that will move your ankle, foot, and toes.

I didn't do these following stretches at first, but would believe they would help. "Stand" on your knees with your feet behind you facing the back wall (you should look like an "L"). Lower your butt to sit on your heels (This is the position). This will help stretch the ankles. My ankles are very flexible and I have no space between them or my shins and the floor, but most people do.

Now, in the same basic position, curl your toes under your feet like you're standing "tippy-toes" like we did when we were children. You're NOT on the tops of your toes like ballet dancers, but your the bottom of your toes should be on the floor and the rest of your foot in a 45-90 degree angle, depending on your flexibility. Sit on your feet in this position. It'll probably hurt, but it will help stretch the plantar facia. Don't let it hurt too much! It should just be a stretch, not a torture.

You can also do this stretch standing up. bend and lean your knees forward while on your toe pads, keeping your body straight. Lift your heels as far up as possible. You might need a wall for support. It's called the awkward Pose, Utkatasana in yoga. You can see a good picture of it in Bikram'g Beginning Yoga Class, by Bikram Choudhury. It's in most bookstores.

I also got ridgid supports, about $15 at a better shoe store (as in "sensible shoe store," not "expensive stylish shoe store") for my shoes that don't have arch support, which is almost everything except sneakers.
Old 04-09-2001, 12:22 PM   #3  
Rat Terrier Chick

I've had this for years, and my only relief from pain is to wear Birkenstock Arizonas almost all the time. Not only do these shoes provide a good arch support, the heel area is lower than on most shoes. I wear them 5 days a week to work, and I am able to wear my Ryka's when I walk 2 miles daily. The ONLY time I wear a different shoe is on Sunday for church, but even then, I usually wear a pair of Birks. My podiatrist tried different inserts and arch supports, but nothing ever worked. Then I read of others' success with Birks, tried them, and now I am pain free. Good luck!
Old 04-09-2001, 03:24 PM   #4  

I have been suffering sever pf since about 1994.

I used to wear birks with no problem, then one day my heels started hurting much more than my arch...I feel it was because the heels are lower than the rest of the shoe - so I got wedges put on the birks and have now been able to wear them again. I also experienced the same thing with orthotics - the footmax ones enhanced the heel problems as well.

I guess with my experiences, my feet tend to change every now and then. Maybe your need new shoes? Or if you wear orthotics - a tune up on them?

I know how frusterating it is! I finally found runners that felt half decent on my feet for the first time in 3 years!! (unfortunately they were 170$)

Try doing ice massage - just to get things settled down. When I am more unconfortable than normal, ice helps me. You can do this by rolling your foot on a frozen juice can. I usually slap ice packs on as well.

Good luck...

y
Old 04-09-2001, 03:25 PM   #5  

Default Heel Pain

I also have suffered with this problem. I do wear orthodics in my Easy Spirit Shoes. Went to Foot Doctor and he adjusted the orthodic by padding it a little more in the arch. I though 'what a waste of time and money that app't was' but after a few weeks the pain was gone. Ice is also surpose to help.
Old 04-09-2001, 03:44 PM   #6  

I don't have the exact URL for this section of my website, and don't have time to go look right now (I'm at work, just checked in), but if you'll go to http://www.bugsbest.com and look down the list of topics on the left hand side of the page, you'll eventually come to one about plantar fasciitis. I've had problems with it off and on for about 15 years now! I have information about what works and doesn't, and links for lots more information.

Hope that helps!
Old 04-12-2001, 03:17 PM   #7  
Senior Tortoise

It may be something as simple as buying new shoes. I occasionally suffer from PF (with a twist, but that's another story), and sometimes it's just because my shoes have gotten too old and don't offer the padding they used to. If you wear a single pair of shoes for a long time, you probably should replace them fairly often. I wear New Balance cross trainers with custom orthotics, and that really helps so long as I don't let the sneakers get too old. I occasionally wear Birkenstock shoes, but I need to add a foam insole as well as my orthotics in order for them to remain comfortable.

Ice helps quiet down the inflammation, as does Celebrex (available by perscription and worth every penny). Elevating your feet is another good idea.

Careful with those stretches, especially if the PF is inflamed. The PF is very tough and doesn't really stretch well. DH is a podiatrist, and he describes the PF as similar to a stalk of celery in terms of texture.

Good luck,

Lauren
Old 04-13-2001, 07:13 AM   #8  

Default Sore Feet

Super Feet!!! I work in a doc's office and recommend these to everyone before seeing a Podiatrist. They basically move the fat in your feet where it's supposed to be. I used to wear them all the time, but now just occasionally when my feet start hurting. They take the place of the insoles in your shoes. I went through the buying of extremely expensive shoes, etc and now can buy any I want and slip these in. You can purchase them (here in the Seattle area) at places like REI and Red Wing Shoe Stores.
Hope this helps.
-debbie
Old 04-18-2001, 09:23 PM   #9  

Hi, I am new to the MB and was browsing around and found this thread. You cannot believe how helpful this advise is. I started with PF at the end of my pregnancy with my son who is now 4. I only went once to the doctor and he suggested orthodics which I wasn't happy about.

I am going back on Tuesday next week because not only has the PF stayed (sometimes good days sometimes bad days) but my toes tend to go numb.

I have tried walking and jazzercise and can only exercise about 20 - 30 minutes and the pain is unbareable.

Do any of you experience numbness in the toes due to PF. I would appreciate a response. I am worried about circulation problems now.

Thanks again.
Old 04-19-2001, 08:40 AM   #10  

Yes, you need to buy new sneakers!

The experts recommend you only wear your workout shoes for 6 months or 300 miles, whichever comes first. And if you wear the same shoes for more than just exercising, you will wear them out much faster. Since you have been wearing the same shoes for over a year and a half, yours are probably dead.

The cushioning and support of the shoe wears out over time. If you have a foot problem like PF, your feet are going to be more sensitive to worn out shoes. You should also consider buying two pairs of shoes and alternating them. If the shoes do not dry completely between wearing, they break down faster. If you have worn then all day, they usually need more than just overnight to really dry properly.

I have had PF for over 10 years, and the first clue I get that it's time for new shoes is that my PF flares up and my feet are stiff / painful in the mornings. I can only go 4-5 months before I need new shoes. (I only wear my workout shoes during exercise. Wearing then for everyday activities actually wears them out faster than exercising alone.)

I know it can be expensive, but think of it as a medical expense. PF is controllable, but you have to be constantly vigilant.

Old 04-19-2001, 12:50 PM   #11  

My husband was just diagnosed with PF this am. I am going to do some surfing on this subject. If anyone knows of any sites that would be helpful let me know. Thanks
Old 04-19-2001, 10:01 PM   #12  
Is is spring yet??

No No No - my sneakers are not the same ones from last year - they are the same brand - but I have had 4 different pairs of the same kind - that is what i mean. I would never wear the same ones from last year.

My feet are better - I guess that was just a small flare up - thank god!!

I appreciate all your info - thanks a ton!!

Quilting Lady - Go to a search engine and type in "plantar fasciatis" and you will get TONS of good sites. That is what I did.

I have to run - thanks again!!

Tara
Closed Thread