Closed Thread

Old 09-27-2002, 04:08 PM   #16  

I'd like to join in. I've been doing a lower carb version for years. I worked it out with a nutritionist. My doctor advocates the older WW plan that was higher protein...he hates the points system. I have insulin resistance and hypothyroidism so high protein works better for me. In a nutshell, I have 8 servings of protein, 4 starch/bread, 2 fruit, 3 dairy, 5 veggies, and 4 fat servings a day. I do very well and lost about 2 pounds a week. I'm back on it now because I want to lose some extra for the holidays so I can have my once-a-year holiday foods with a clear conscious. I also always have either fat or protein or both when I do eat bread/starch or fruit. It helps me stay satisfied longer. I opt for the lower fat versions of cheese, use mostly unprocessed foods and whole grain breads and pasta and brown rice...nothing white or refined.
Old 09-27-2002, 05:58 PM   #17  
Xan
serial rejoiner

S/C/G: 296/264/160

Height: 5' 8"

I hope this won't be a duplicate. I answered a few minutes ago in the "quick reply" box, but it didn't seem to come up.

Susan, I agree with your doctor that the old exchanges program was better than te points. Exchanges had no room for junk food or sweets. And I miss checking off those boxes!!!

I've copied your exchanges and I'll try them. I was happy to read about your 2 pound average loss. I'm off to a slow start this time. 2.4 pounds the first week, then a gain the second week and no loss this week. And I'm quite sure I'm on program properly.

Aleka, I think we are doing the same thing. I need a mix of protein and carbs, at least a few "good" carbs, or I feel lightheaded. My goal is to figure out what's right for my body and stick to that, instead of focusing solely on the weight loss. Easy to say, of course!
Old 09-27-2002, 06:17 PM   #18  

I did way better on the old exchange program too.
I don't have the material anymore.

I lost weight on the pts. but gained it back.
Old 09-28-2002, 04:49 AM   #19  

Angry Hi,

Quilter in Va, I copied your exchanges also. I've never been tested for insulin resistance, but from all that I've read, it sounds a lot like me. My Dr. told me whatever weight loss method I used to watch my fat & carbs., have 2 fruit serv., and to stay away from processed foods. My bloodwork is great on a lower carb diet.

Xan, we are doing about the same thing. The other day a friend & I went out for lunch, she is on Atkins. Both of us had a bacon cheeseburger/no bun, and I had a salad with it with a lite dressing, and it stayed with me the rest of the day.

Salsa, I printed out a copy of the old WW exchange program. In one of the threads there was a website that had the exchanges and you could print out a worksheet. I don't know exactly where I found it. If you would like the exchanges I can give them to you. I just found the website that has all the info on the exchanges. www.geocities.com/george_draper/foodlists.htm

Hope you all have a great weekend. Aleka

Last edited by aleka; 09-28-2002 at 05:21 PM.
Old 09-28-2002, 09:21 PM   #20  

Thank you, Aleka. I went and printed off the exchanges. I will try and get the right exchanges in while doing the pts. system and see if that helps.
I think my main thing going on is having the "freedom" to snack on whatever I want(salty stuff too) and just count the pts.(maybe even going overboard)
So, this week, I will stick to "real foods" (fruit etc.) for my snacks and see if that helps.
Old 09-29-2002, 10:55 AM   #21  

Angry Hi

So far I've things have been going well. Today is DH birthday, and I'm sure I have enough points banked to have a slice of birthday cake. For the cake, I go to the grocery store and buy 2 slices, ( put a candle in his slice),then we don't have any leftovers.

Salsa, let me know how combining the exchange and points works.

Hope you are all having a great weekend. Aleka
Old 09-30-2002, 08:56 AM   #22  

Would anyone be interested in starting a thread for "Exchangers" and we could help each other along? I have tons of recipes with exchanges and all the WW info from years ago. The website listed above is great!
Old 09-30-2002, 11:06 AM   #23  

Smile Hi,

Sure, I would be interested in an exchange thread. That's a great idea. Aleka
Old 09-30-2002, 03:54 PM   #24  

Default Interest in WW low carb

Hi All!

I'm a newbie or returnee to the 3FC boards. I am having some access problems so I have to post from other than home right now.

I want to say that I'd love to see a board or regular thread on this interest topic. I am back in WW after doing pretty well on Atkins about 18 mos ago. I think I need both. When I was in my early 20's I lost about 30 lbs to goal and stayed there for several years. As I recall (age is creeping in here), there were large protein servings and non-starchy carbs (lots!) but few breads or high carb vegs. With the points, it was too easy to just ignore some of my real problems, and I didn't do as well on the program. Maybe some of us are just more insulin resistent and so need the old plan.

I do love the point slider and such, so I'm trying to use the slider with combining what I'd do in a modified Atkins. Mostly, I do breakfast no carbs or just some very low carbs with protein, lunch as some low carb soup with protien and dinner with protein and maybe more carbs as a snack. Mostly the higher carbs are fruit, but I do some controlled other snacks, and that may have to change.

I lost 5.2 in my first week , so I am hyped right now. I hope the rest of you will keep posting. This is a big help. Su
Closed Thread