Closed Thread

Old 03-10-2001, 04:25 PM   #1  

Question

ANY BODY HERE COMBINING WW AND LC? I WOULD LOVE TO KNOW MORE ABOUT YOUR MENU PLAN AND HOW YOU ARE DOING COMBINING THE TWO.
MAYBE WE COULD START A NEW THREAD FOR PEOPLE DOING THE WEIGHT WATCHER'S LOW CARB DIET'S. I AM SURELY FOR IT TO HAPPEN AS I NEED ALL THE SUPPORT AND IDEAS I CAN GET. I REALLY THOUGHT THAT THE CARBOHYDRATE ADDICTS LIFESPAN PROGRAM WOULD BE GREAT FOR US WW PEOPLE BETWEEN THE AGE'S OF 40 TO 60 AND BEYOND. I HAVE NOT BEEN ABLE TO FIND ANY CALP INFORMATION ANY WHERE ON THE INTERNET.
ANY THOUGHTS ON THIS WOULD BE GREATLY APPRECIATED.
Old 03-12-2001, 04:41 PM   #2  

Shevas - there is a thread towards the top of this forum where a group of people are talking about this! Hope you see it!
Old 03-12-2001, 05:23 PM   #3  

Default Combining ww & lowcarb diets

Thanks I looked but didn't find it . I'm blind I guess.
Old 03-12-2001, 05:25 PM   #4  

Shevas...

Try this address... (it's on the same page as this topic)

http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/show...=&threadid=454
Old 09-05-2002, 08:48 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 168/168/145

Angry

Anybody out there doing a LC (not no carb) WW plan. I am choosing whole food.............nothing processed. I certainly could use a buddy. We could share menu ideas as well as motivate one other towards a healthier lifestyle.

I was sad to see that this thread never got started.

Any thoughts or interest???????????
Old 09-12-2002, 07:36 PM   #6  
Dropping so I can TTC

I would be interested!
Old 09-13-2002, 11:00 PM   #7  
Xan
serial rejoiner

S/C/G: 296/264/160

Height: 5' 8"

I'd be interested as well -- I followed the link posted to Jennifer's thread, which said there would be a forum, but couldn't find it. I guess there wasn't enough interest?

Perhaps we could have a "club" on the WW board??

I don't fit in either low carb or WW. I don't believe the unlimited fat, very low carb of low carb plans -- at least it doesn't work for me -- but when I look at a WW meal plan, and it's all fake fat foods, with lots of pretzels and popcorn, that's not right for me either. I use etools, and adapt their menu plans. If they have a breadstick at dinner, ON TOP OF spaghetti, I cut that, and add another 1 point of meat. If the snack is three cups of popcorn and sugar free pudding, I use those 2 points in other ways.

I've just started -- restarted -- so I can't say it's working, but it feels right.

Is that what you all are thinking?
Old 09-14-2002, 01:58 PM   #8  

Xan, that is pretty much what I have been doing. At least 2 of my meals each day (and most often, 3) are based around protein and I find that helps my blood sugar stay level and my hunger at bay. I would not call what I am doing low-carbing in any way, but years of trying (and failing at) low-carbing taught me the importance of protein and the importance of stable blood sugar.
High carb food is really high in points, too. This is another reason to avoid it. I know meat is high in points too, but I'm thinking more in terms of points for nutrition. 1/2 cup of brown rice=4 points, or 4 oz chicken=4 points. Which has more nutrition (and more satisfaction) for the points?
I would join a carb-aware club if someone made one.
Agee
Old 09-14-2002, 02:08 PM   #9  
Xan
serial rejoiner

I really like the idea of "Carb-Aware"! Great idea, Agee. I go through the same thought processes about rice or chicken for 4 points, too. I'll take the chicken.

I couldn't stick to low carb because first, the grease. I have a gas stove, and my kitchen would be covered in grease. But second, for some reason -- I guess we're all different -- I needed carbs in the morning. My most successful days were oatmeal for breakfast and a tuna or chicken sandwich for lunch. I didn't need them at dinner.

That's also the pattern of the old WW exchange program when I first went on WW nearly 20 years ago -- 6- 7 exchanges of protein for 2-3 starch. They changed it completely, switching them -- 6-7 starch and 2-3 proteins (and now it's completely different, of course, and they do have a higher protein option.)

What if we have a Carb Aware Thread? Check in with each other and see how we're doing? Shevas, Tracyling, SnapyGing and Jill -- are you still there? Come on down

I had my first weigh in today -- down 2.4. I joined on a Tuesday, but didn't like the leader, and switched to Saturday, so that's 10 days to lose 2.4 pounds. The first few days were a struggle. I was under points, but not eating well. I'm a Constant Eater, rather than a Binge Eater, and I'm struggling to get to regular meals. The last three days, though, I had it. I also added exercise -- I haven't exercised since I broke my ankle four years ago. Everything they say is true -- it makes a huge difference. I don't have bushels of energy yet, but my body is beginning to feel alive.

How did you all do this week?
Old 09-16-2002, 12:52 PM   #10  

Your week 6 booklet "The Right Choices" has guidelines for this. I worked out a plan with a nutritionist because I have hypothyroidism. I have 8 protein, 4 starch (including starchy veggies), 3 fat, 3 fruit, 2 milk and at least 5 veggies every day. I have maintained my lose for many years. It does work. I'm not sure humans were ever made to eat so many carbs. We didn't get flours, sugars, etc. until agriculture was established. Before that, we ate meat and veggies and fruit and whole grains.
Old 09-24-2002, 11:00 AM   #11  

Angry Hi,

I just joined WW today, and I definitely want to do this low carb. I previously was Somersizing, which is sort of a lower carb diet, and my cholesterol and triglycerides went down quite a lot. So, I would like to see a Carb Awareness club. I too have to have a carb meal in the morning, sometimes I have 2 carb meals, but not that often. It would be great to get some menu ideas and recipes. Aleka
Old 09-25-2002, 12:50 PM   #12  
Dropping so I can TTC

I'm starting back with WW. I gotta do lower carb because before when i did WW I ate a lot of sugar. Ya know the fat free stuff was loaded with sugar
Old 09-25-2002, 01:32 PM   #13  
Xan
serial rejoiner

There seem to be quite a few of us. I hope we can shares tips and experiences.

I've been bouncing between WW and LC for the past five years -- and have lost and regained 20 pounds several times. When I'm on WW, I'm dissatisfied with the slow weight loss, and a friend will be on Atkins, so I'll try that. Some people really take to LC -- love the food, don't miss carbs, feel great. I'm not. I never got used to a high fat breakfast, and I just can't believe that eating 70 percent fat forever is good for you. BUT on WW, I'll go wild and eat all carbs -- within points, but all carbs.

This time, I have vowed to stay on WW for at least three months, and use the time to experiment and find the right mix. So far, I lost 2.4 pounds the first week and gained 1 pound back the second week, and haven't lost anything yet this week. Before, that would have made me throw in the towel. But now I think, all these people lose weight on WW. It MUST work.

I've been eating 2% cheese on an English muffin for breakfast, a tuna sandwich for lunch, and chicken and vegetables for dinner. Snacks are fruit -- I've discovered that a banana, with 1 tsp honey and 2 tbl nuts (3.5 points) as a mid-afternoon snack, is VERY filling. And a yogurt.

I'm trying to avoid no fat or fake fat or sugar foods and eat real foods.

What are the rest of you doing?
Old 09-25-2002, 06:02 PM   #14  

Angry Hi,

Xan, I am doing about the same thing you are. I will not eat anything fat free, I do use reduced fat. I also don't eat anything made with white flour, everything is whole wheat, and I avoid anything with a lot of sugar in it, if it has more than 3 gm I try to stay away from it. I do have to have a carb breakfast, or a carb with protein because I get nauseus (sp?) an hr. or so later if I just eat protein.

Aleka
Old 09-25-2002, 06:07 PM   #15  
what goes around...

Quote:
Originally posted by Xan
I couldn't stick to low carb because first, the grease. I have a gas stove, and my kitchen would be covered in grease.
You lost me here... I'm not getting the association...?
Closed Thread