Closed Thread

Old 06-18-2003, 07:43 AM   #1  

Height: 6'0"

Default Stopping Smoking

This is OT, but does anyone out there have information about a Stop Smoking program that works? My sister desperately wants to quit. I know that many of you have done it "cold turkey, " but this does not seem to be an option for her. I appreciate any help you can give.
Old 06-18-2003, 10:16 AM   #2  

If she is really ready, she should try Zyban. Taht stuff for me was like a miracle! It only helps w/ the physical part, though. you still have the emotional part to deal with.

I tried many. many times to quit on my own w/ no success (I smoked 19 years). When you get the prescription, they do have a program you sign up for where they send you letters and such checking on your progress and offering tips to make it through. However, thay may have changed a little. I'm pretty sure they ahve a website, so you can check it out.

You start taking it a few weeks before your actual quit date. What I was able to do was cut down to around 5 cigs a day in that time. I did have some reare side effects. The doc said to stop taking it, but I just cut back to the one pill a day because the side effects didn't start until I upped the dosage as instructed (you start out on 1/day for 3 or 4 days then up to 2/day). I quit on 2/1/1999 nad haven't looked back since!

There was a great message board I participated in for awhile that really helped. I stopped going because after awhile, I was ready to move on. I thought that conitnually talking about smoking might make me start back. Hoever, ti was great while I needed it! I will hunt around and see if I can find it in a search engine.
Old 06-18-2003, 12:07 PM   #3  

S/C/G: 220/197/160

Height: 5'-3"

Hi - I used the habitrol patch. I have been off cigarettes for over 5 years. Smoked for 26 years. It is so hard to quit. Even with the patch I still had my cigarette in the morning & last thing at night for a month. Then only the night time one for another month. Then nothing at all. Kept saying to myself "Today I will try and not smoke" Couldn't imagine saying "I quit smoking".
Even now I don't say I quit - I just say I haven't smoked for 5 years.

Good luck to your sister.
Old 06-18-2003, 12:39 PM   #4  

Height: 6'0"

Thank you so much for the input. I don't know if she has tried those. She has ordered some things off infomercials and they did not work.

It must be a horrible addiction. I am so glad I never tried it!
Closed Thread