Weight Loss Support Give and get support here!

Old 10-07-2007, 12:26 AM   #1  
I have less blubber!

S/C/G: 207/203/160

Height: 5'3"

Default When people stop smoking..

Do they gain weight just from not smoking...Or from picking up food to fulfill those cravings?

I want to quit, but I don't want to gain back any weight right now...I know that seems stupid, but I would rather make it to goal weight and then work on the smoking problem. But... I think if the main reason people gain weight after quiting is eating to compensate, since I am already monitering my food I could keep that under control.

Just wondering if anyone knew th medical facts.
sockmonkey70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 12:39 AM   #2  
it's always something

When people gain weight while quitting smoking, it's mainly due to replacing one bad habit with another. Some studies have shown a slight change in metabolism, but from what I understand, it's minor. As long as you are dieting and exercising anyway, you shouldn't suffer a gain. You'll soon feel better because you'll be able to breath better, and food will taste better. It's worth it to go for it now

When I quit, 20 years ago, I did it by taking a ladder approach. I checked the tar and nicotine content of the brand I was smoking and found one with a little less, then did it a few more times until I was smoking those cigs that hardly have anything in them at all. At the same time, I was resisting more so I could smoke fewer per day. This helped me wean myself off of the nicotine so when I did smoke my last one it was much easier than when I had tried to quit all the times before. My approach may not work for everyone though. Plus these days there are so many products designed to help either by prescription or OTC, and it's supposed to be easier than ever.

Good luck
Suzanne 3FC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 02:01 AM   #3  
Mens sana in corpore sano

S/C/G: 165/121/120ish

Height: 5'2 (157 cm)

I'm not a smoker, but from what I've read about it, it indeed seems it's much more a matter of replacing a bad habit with another, like Suzanne said. After all, when smoking, you have something in your mouth and between your fingers, so probably a lot of people who're trying to stop are sort of unconsciously 'compensating' for the sudden loss of that 'comfort' with food. And since it's comfort foods, it sure won't be a salad or a branch of celeri.
Kery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 02:37 AM   #4  
I have less blubber!

S/C/G: 207/203/160

Suzanne that's a really smart idea. I had never thought to check the nicotine content. I thought about trying the gum, but a pack of Nicorette is more than twice as much as a pack of cigarettes!

I have been able to go three and four days without cigarettes while trying to quit, but something always triggers me (stress) and I always give in.

I had read somewhere about the change in metabolism but I didn't know if it was true..I read that smoking burns 200 cals/day?? And for me that would be a substantial blow to my weightloss.

I do believe the gain would be more from going to one bad habit (smoking) to another (eating for comfort).
Kery, you are correct..I usually reach for my fried chicken and fries for comfort..not celery

I am going to work on cutting back..and see if I can research the nicotine in different brands and take that approach possibly.

Last edited by sockmonkey70; 10-07-2007 at 02:37 AM.
sockmonkey70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 06:49 AM   #5  
A Work In PROGRESS

S/C/G: 128/see ticker/116

well when my mates dad quit he gained weight but it was probably because he got his taste back and he just loved the food so much he wanted to eat everything!
FlabbyHarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 07:15 AM   #6  
Just Yr Everyday Chick

S/C/G: Lost 50 lbs, regained some

Hey! Yeah, FlabbyHarry has a good point--your taste does come back, along with smell, so food does taste better.

Suzanne's strategy sounds helpful. I quit cold turkey, and I won't try to gloss it over, it was terribly hard. But I got through it, and others have done it this way, too. If you can get through four days, you can quit forever! You just have to NOT give in, no matter what. Eat three bunches of celery if you have to!

I have never seen anything about smoking burning 200 calories. But hey--once you quit, you'll be able to exercise to burn 200 cals without having a coughing fit!

Quitting smoking is a good thing to do. You're almost quit now. I'd say--GO FOR IT!

Jay
JayEll is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 07:47 AM   #7  
3 + years maintaining

S/C/G: 287/120's

Height: 5 foot nuthin'

Mary, I was never a smoker. So, I don't have much to add here. Just my support for you.

You have been making such postive strides towards a better and healthier life with your weight loss. I would love for you to take it one step further and get rid of the cigarettes. The less time cigarettes are in your life, the better. The sooner you stop, the better off you will be. So, yes, do it now. Don't put it off. It's just too important. Get it out of the way. You will be sooo happy when this transition period is OVER and cigarettes are out of your life and you can say that you are a former smoker.

Just think how much extra money you will have. And how much better you will smell, yes smell. How much cleaner your hair will be. How much whiter your teeth will remain. And how much stronger and healthier your lungs will be. And how you will be able to do more physically because of it.

Whatever method you go with, (I like that idea of 3 bunches of celery to distract yourself if need be), I wish you tons of good luck.
rockinrobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 08:36 AM   #8  
Onward and Downward

S/C/G: 285/215/1??

Height: 5'2"

I quit cold turkey too -- October 28, 1986, to be exact -- for me (going from about 40 to 50 cigarettes a day to nothing) the first couple of weeks were the hardest. The memory of that time and the sheer horror of ever having to repeat it, is what kept me honest over the next couple of years. After that the cravings finally disappeared.

I agree with what most others have said; the weight gain comes from finding something else to stick in your mouth whenever you really, really want a cigarette. Some people chew gum . . . I chewed on plastic stir sticks . . . pretty gross and stupid looking, but it helped . . . no calories and the simple act of chewing burns a few.

Good Luck . . . I know you can do it. . .

Last edited by meowee; 10-07-2007 at 08:37 AM. Reason: typing erros
meowee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 11:53 AM   #9  
Starting Over

S/C/G: 255/255/155

Height: 5'7"

I quit May 2007. Yes, 5 months ago. It was time. I was starting to take control of my life, which included diet and exercise and smoking was holding me back. I quit cold turkey, but you have to really want to quit to do that. I have pretended to quit many times before that. So, I bought sugarless gum in bulk, and bottles of water. The first month I chewed gum like crazy to keep my mind off it. I would drink a bottle of water when a craving hit, or go out for a walk, or just get busy with something to keep my mind off it. It was semi-hard, but doable. I was a smoker for 10 years and I started to freak out that I was going to die of lung cancer and my kids weren't going to be raised by me, etc. It helped to see their faces every day to keep me determined.

I think if you gain a small amount of weight due to quitting, it's worth it overall. But if you create a plan for how to combat the urges to smoke, you can stay the same weight no problem. Nothing like 20 jumping jacks to boost your heart rate and stave off a nic fix. Do that 12 times a day and I think your 200 calories will be burned off.
cakses is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 12:48 PM   #10  

S/C/G: 210/200/140

Height: 5FT4IN

Good Luck Sweetie,
I quit 6 yrs. ago and although I did gain some weight it was far better than smoking.Drink lots of water that seems to help and
i used cough drops too.i dont why but they seemed to help.Its a hard thing to do and I wish you the best.
brenda723 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 01:08 PM   #11  
...to everything

S/C/G: 170/170/120-130?

I quit 20 months ago, using Zyban and Nicorette, as well as a well-thought-out plan. It was not hard for me at all, despite having been a smoker for 9 1/2 years (I was 24 when I quit) at almost a pack a day.

I gained 5 pounds in the first year and chewed a LOT of gum for over a year. BUT, I didn't start my commitment to weight loss until January of this year - I didn't even think about it until then. So the effects definitely can be prevented. Plus, if you're afraid that smoking burns 200 calories a day, well, just exercise more so that you're burning an extra 200 calories that way. You'll get your lungs back in shape quicker that way, too!
RidiculouslyAddicted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 01:28 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 155/135

Height: 5'5"

I quit two years ago next month(Halloween) after smoking for 20 years. I used an herbal detox the first few days. I used straws with almost everything I drank (it seemed to help with with some of the cravings). Also, when I found out that nicotine affects your blood sugar and I started eating smaller meals more often and tried to keep more level. My cravings were not so bad. I did gain a few pounds, mainly because of what I choose to snack on. I still snack as much, I just grab for healther choices and I am losing the extra weight now. No matter what it will so be so worth it. Think of the extra money you will have to spend on yourself, the extra time, because you aren't stopping for a smoke break, and the extra energy you will have because you feel so much better!
Just Deb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 01:40 PM   #13  

S/C/G: 168/157/125

Height: 5 and nothing more

Default Smoking and comfort

The chemical/physiological effects of smoking are part of the problems of trying to quit. Each time the smoke enters your bloodstream and brain a chemical comfort is supplied. This is what is so addicting for some people. Studies have shown that nicotine is easily as addictive as heroin.

I don't think that anyone who has not been a long time addict can understand just how difficult it is to break the mental and physical addiction.

I have been a smoker since I was 12 years old. Yes 12!!! There have been times that I have quit for a year or two and swore I would never start again. But like other people turn to alcohol during times of stress I turn back to nicotine.

For me, I am not afraid of replacing cigarettes with food. Food does not supply the same comfort. I could see though how this would be a problem for people who do use food as a source of well being.

I do know how horrible and dangerous smoking is. I am a well educated person who lives in a culture where smoking is akin to crime. It is not allowed anywhere in the city in which I live. Not even in many outdoor areas!

But I am also a long time addict. Quiting smoking just plain scares me. I am afraid I won't be able to cope. I truly understand your struggle. It is not worth continuing in order to potentially save on calories. If there is any way you are able to give up smoking the few pounds you might initially gain will vanish if you are able to stay with your healthy life program.
Mermom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 01:51 PM   #14  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

MARY

This is very hard for me right now to post this. You see, my mother is dying as we speak, the doctor is giving her something to make her comfortable and says he really doubts she will make it through the day. I am really

She was a lifetime smoker....until about a year ago when they hooked her up to the oxygen. She is 71 and her heart is failing fast, her lungs have been shot for years. Every breath she has taken for the last few years could have easily been her last.

My dad was a smoker, he passed away 20 years ago from pancreas cancer, smoking is attributed to that type of cancer.

I was a smoker from the time I was 16 until I was 43. I quit 10 years ago last August.

I know what it can do to a person. I feel very healthy now, I just finished a 3.5 mile walk with my wife and golden retrievers down to Starbucks.It is such a beautiful day here, the sun is shining, the air is cool. It is a sad day for me for sure, but I was able to experience wonderful things out in the world this morning. If I had continued smoking I may still be alive but there is NO WAY I would have been able to go enjoy this wonderful day my Lord has made.

I will not lecture you, if you ever want to know some helpful tips on quitting smoking I will be glad to share with you, just PM me anytime. I learned a lot of hints from Smoke-enders programs. I am sure tips are out there on the internet. I failed many times until I succeded.

I pray you will be successful ~ Gary
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2007, 01:53 PM   #15  
I'M A YOGA WIDOWER!

S/C/G: 201/186/180

Height: 6'

MERMOM...I will add you to that list of prayers.
EZMONEY is offline   Reply With Quote