Old 01-26-2012, 06:12 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 269.2/269.2/135

Height: 5'5"

Question Thinking about joining WW.

I've contemplated joining WW for awhile now, and I finally think it's time to stop making up excuses and go for it. However, before I join - which I've never done WW before - I had a couple of questions.

My most main concern is if you, someone whose participated in WW, feel like it's worth it to join the program and spend the money on.

Also, which do you prefer - meetings or online? What is the difference between the two aside from in person support with meetings.

What do you get when you join - what kind of materials are provided? Are there extra materials you think I should invest in? If you do the online program, what materials are you provided with and what materials should you get that are extra?

I've already started making changes in my diet in preparation for this and my biggest concern is feeling like it's a waste of money, I definitely don't want to spend money every month on a program if it truly isn't worth it. I understand that it's all about me and how I follow the program and I've worked myself up enough to say I can do it and it's time!
palmettostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 07:47 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 232/153/135

Height: 5'3"

I think it depends on what you mean by "worth it".

If by that you mean "I couldn't do this on my own/this is unique and I couldn't get it anywhere else for free", then no, it is not worth it. Because WW is not very unique, and you can certainly track online with free trackers (granted, perhaps not POINTS, but you can enter stuff on a tracker and it will track calories for you) and self-help books. There are also less expensive groups like TOPS. Or, for the psychological/accountability side of things, totally free programs like OA.

If by that you mean "this might be a valuable tool for me as part of my weight loss program", then it might be worth it.

I have lost 80 lbs in the last 9 months. Most of that was done while using the WW points plus system and while attending WW meetings. I've been on WW numerous times in the past with no success larger than 15 lbs. The difference this time is that I did NOT expect it to be the be all end all of my weight loss journey, and there were specific things that I wanted from it. I needed a structured eating plan that was very simple to track and would minimize me getting obsessed over numbers (I know for some people that happens with points, however I tend to go off the deep end with calories and percentages. I wanted to eliminate all that to minimize my attention/obsession--and it served its purpose). I wanted somewhere where I would be cheered for every 5 lbs and have people clap for me (this does not happen at OA) and to recipe-geek.

However, I would NOT have had this success with WW alone. I also need OA to work on the inside. I need my healthy lifetyles group at the Y. I need my dietician (esp. now that I am ready and needing to move away from points since I'm training for an athletic event and need to mind my nutrient ratios and because I am *safe* with calories and percentages now). I needed my therapist for awhile. I need my support network made up of people from ALL of my groups, both friends and professional.

So, I don't know where you are in this. Don't know what it is that you want from WW (I personally believe it has to be more specific than 'lose X pounds or not be fat'). Only you know that. $$ is motivating to some people to get them in the door (I paid for it so I'm going!). For other people it's not. What motivates you? What are you hoping to get from WW?

I haven't bought any additional materials. I don't think they're necessary, but if you LIKE them and they're helpful to you, then they might be valuable to you.
tigerchild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 08:23 PM   #3  
Made of Starstuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmettostar View Post
My most main concern is if you, someone whose participated in WW, feel like it's worth it to join the program and spend the money on.
For me? Absolutely 100% worth it. Glad I joined that one day. Glad I paid. Glad I upgraded to the Monthly Pass. All worth it.

Quote:
Also, which do you prefer - meetings or online? What is the difference between the two aside from in person support with meetings.
Well... If backed into a corner I would pick the meetings. But, I use the online eTools so often to track and plan. They've both been a part of my success. (And I get both with the Monthy Pass.)

The difference really is just the in person support/meetings, but that's a HUGE difference. It's not something that everyone feels they need. For many others, though, going to a place where others care about your progress, where you're accountable for your weigh-in, where you can pick up new materials, where you can celebrate... that's the thing that keeps them going. The up and down weeks.

WW Online offers the eTools, tips, articles, and the online support groups. But, honestly? For me, the online support groups on WW pale in comparison to the meetings in person. And, the online groups even pale in comparison to 3FC. I do love the rest of the site, I just don't use their "community" section very much.

However, Online is less expensive than In Person, so for some people they need to use the Online version when it comes to expense.

Quote:
What do you get when you join - what kind of materials are provided? Are there extra materials you think I should invest in? If you do the online program, what materials are you provided with and what materials should you get that are extra?
Upon joining, you're provided with all the basic things that you need to work the plan. As the weeks go on, you get some more materials that build on the basic structures, and encourage more changes.

It's been a while since I've joined (many years) so I can't remember whether or not a new member joining PointsPlus is provided with a Calculator. Either way, it's the only "extra" (if it is an extra) that I would suggest getting. I'm sure someone will be kind enough to come along and verify whether you get a Calculator when joining or if it's extra.

If you go long enough, there are often samples of things given out. Recipes traded. There are the weekly mini-magazines. Lots of fun things to read, and encouraging little tidbits.

The online version provides whatever is available on the site. This includes all the articles you'll need. They start you on Week 1, and work you through the different weeks that you're on the plan, building you up and encouraging more changes. However, it's just without the in-person support, and it's electronic.

The eTools (included online) show you how to track. There's a smartphone application to track on the go. Love the app. Useful without end.

Quote:
I've already started making changes in my diet in preparation for this and my biggest concern is feeling like it's a waste of money, I definitely don't want to spend money every month on a program if it truly isn't worth it. I understand that it's all about me and how I follow the program and I've worked myself up enough to say I can do it and it's time!
Whether or not it's "worth it" is going to entirely depend on what you think it's worth.

I had to join. I had to have someone say to me, "Here. Stay within these Points. Make sure you're tracking these Good Health Guidelines. Come to meetings weekly. It'll be alright."

I like the structure of the plan. I like how the plan focuses on permanent changes. On the whole aspect of weight loss. Not just eat less/move more, but all the little troubles and big pitfalls we can run into. They've been there, and that's comforting.

The plan aside, the meetings alone were worth it for me!

Unfortunately, meetings aren't convenient in my area right now, but I felt the most successful when I went weekly. I loved my meetings. I often quote my first leader (I still miss her). It has been worth it not only for the health information, but for the group atmosphere and accountability. If you have the right leader and the right group, things click. You get a jolt of energy each week. You get a good thing to think about on your way out the door. You get happy for everyone's success, and they're happy for yours.

For me... it's worth it.

Last edited by Lovely; 01-26-2012 at 08:23 PM.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 09:25 PM   #4  

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmettostar View Post
For me, it's totally worth it.

Quote:
Meetings. Not to say I don't use eTools. I use them all the time on my phone and my computer. But I wouldn't want to do online only. I like the accountability I have by going to the meetings. I like hearing from others who are on the plan; finding out what they are doing, sharing tips and tricks. I've gotten so many helpful tips. And I like my leader. She lost over 200 lbs on WW 10 years ago. It's really inspiring. And in general I feel like I just get more from it than I would if I were doing it all online.

I know the meetings aren't for everybody for various reasons but you can visit a meeting for free to see if you like it before joining. I don't have enough posts on the forum t o post links yet but you can Google "Weight Watchers free meeting" for info about it. (It should be the first or second link.)

Quote:
I know if you join at a meeting place you get a Getting Started book that explains the program and a food companion that has various foods and their points plus value (there are other food companions that you can buy but they're not really necessary.)

The Getting Started session after the meeting is now in 3 parts instead of one. They do a different one each week and it doesn't matter which one you start with. During these sessions they will give you a special tracker that had menus planned out for that week and suggestions on things you can swap out if you don't like something. I think this is great for new members - especially for those that might feel a little overwhelmed.

Oh and no calculator. You could purchase one OR if you have a smartphone you can download a calculator and/or the scanner tool which has a calculator and/or the WW mobile app that has a calculator. They are all free but only accessible to members with etools.

Quote:
I've already started making changes in my diet in preparation for this and my biggest concern is feeling like it's a waste of money, I definitely don't want to spend money every month on a program if it truly isn't worth it.
I say go to a free meeting. Talk to the people there - the leader, the receptionists, the members. See what it's like first hand. It can not only help you decide if t might be worth it to you and if you want to join but also whether you'd rather do online only or meetings too,

2 final things I will say to keep in mind if you decide to join.
1) give it a couple of weeks. Those first few weeks were the hardest for me. You're learning the program. You're counting Points Plus for every little thing. But after those first few weeks you should find yourself starting to settle into a bit of a routine. You will have an idea of how many PP the things you eat the most are. You will have had time to look around online and find recipes from other WW members.

2) Don't be afraid to go to different meetings with different leaders. Find one that you like and that inspires you.
anga is offline   Reply With Quote