Old 12-27-2010, 11:15 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 269.2/269.2/135

Height: 5'5"

Default Thinking about joining WW

I have debated over the last few years to join WW but never got up the courage to actually do it. I have finally convinced myself that I would like to go to a meeting to see what it is all about in the next week or two - depending on my work schedule since it's so up & down. My boyfriend of 3.5 years is on board with me and is willing to do WW with me as well.

Can any of you tell me what the first meeting is like? And when you do register what materials do they give you and what extra materials should you buy to have on hand?

I am 24 years old (25 in February), 5'5" and weigh 260...I would love to get down to 150 which is the maximum weight for my height and be in a healthy BMI range.
palmettostar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2010, 11:29 PM   #2  

S/C/G: 256/155/140

Height: 5'5

Hi!

When I attended my first meeting I received a very warm welcome from my leader who is a complete angel. I was so nervous because I went alone but I met so many people who were willing to help and share their stories with me. I was asked to stay after the meeting so I could learn how to use the points system and a few other things. This was a year ago on the old plan, I'm thinking your leader will ask you to stay so he or she can explain everything to you.

You're definately going to need a calculator and the Deluxe Kit is great too because it includes a Dining out Guide which I use faithfully, a journal, and the Complete Food Companion.

I have been on plan for almost 1 year and you and I started off at around the same weight and have the same goal! You can do this!! It takes time but if you do the work the weight will come off =D
KimberlyP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 05:39 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 178/see ticker/113

Height: 5'3

I just wanted to say Welcome!!! I think you'll love the meetings, they are very friendly and welcoming and will walk you through the process. Once you sign up and fill out an information sheet on yourself, you'll get weighed and get your Getting Started book and your pocket guide that fits perfectly in your purse, then you'll stay for the meeting and the leader will ask you to stay afterwards and will go over the plan with you step by step and make sure you are comfortable before you leave. Keep us updated on when you go etc!
spryng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 07:00 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

Welcome! I love WW. I did it back in my early 20's to get off 20 pounds, and am back in my late 30's to get off the pounds that crept on in the last 5 years. They sneak up!

I bought the monthly pass so that I have access to e-tools, which is how I track, either on my computer or on my phone. I didn't buy any of the books. I did buy a calculator, but haven't used it.

The meetings are good, you don't have to talk if you don't want to. And if you don't like the first leader, try changing times to find one you like.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 11:41 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 205/195/130

Height: 5'4

i just joined ww and my group leader was very nice. She handed me a copy of all the material and asked me to stay afterwards, there were about 6 of us. She went through the whole program (points plus) and then asked for material back. I was so hooked I didn't want to give it back, I joined right there and then.. good luck and go for it!!!!
valencia2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 01:12 AM   #6  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

Just go! I sucked it up and walked in cold turkey. Turned out great! Very supportive, very helpful. I first started a few years ago, lost 51 pounds, slowly drifted away. Decided I was no good on my own and went back for the roll out of the new plan. Love it!

The new Points plus plan is awesome! Having somewhere to go at least once a week, and having a group that understands, and can help out, and does not judge, just wants you to be successful is so great!
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2010, 04:31 PM   #7  

I would encourage you and your BF to join WW. I rejoined the first week in December, right after the new program was launched. As noted by previous posters, you will be given some materials, and there will be plenty offered for purchase. You won't really need to buy the materials if you use e-tools. However, the companions are handy if you eat out a lot.

If you have a smartphone, you won't need to buy the calculator. There are free WW pointsplus calculator apps for the Iphone, Android, and BlackBerry smartphones. The app works very well. I am not one who likes to carry a lot of gadgets with me. I always have my BlackBerry with me, so I am able to calculate and track my points wherever I am.

Good luck on your weight loss journey.
brookelynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 12:10 AM   #8  
Mom to 2 beautiful boys!

S/C/G: 331/ticker/150

Height: 5'6"

Thank you for this post!

I am going to join this week and wanted to know what to expect. Especially what to buy. I have a Droid and I'll do the monthly pass so I can have access to the E-Tools. Will I need any of the other books, calculators? I know WW does have an App, does it have the Points Plus calculator in it?

Thanks!!!
osu2k1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 07:30 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

Quote:
Originally Posted by osu2k1 View Post
Thank you for this post!

I am going to join this week and wanted to know what to expect. Especially what to buy. I have a Droid and I'll do the monthly pass so I can have access to the E-Tools. Will I need any of the other books, calculators? I know WW does have an App, does it have the Points Plus calculator in it?

Thanks!!!
The app has the calculator. I bought the calculator even though I have etools and I never use it. I didn't buy any other books or products, and could have done without the calc.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 09:39 AM   #10  
Strong is the new thin!

S/C/G: 178/152/close enough

Height: 5'9 1/2"

Quote:
Originally Posted by palmettostar View Post
I have debated over the last few years to join WW but never got up the courage to actually do it. I have finally convinced myself that I would like to go to a meeting to see what it is all about in the next week or two - depending on my work schedule since it's so up & down. My boyfriend of 3.5 years is on board with me and is willing to do WW with me as well.
I don't attend meetings but I just wanted to encourage you to try it. And I think it's awesome that your bf is on board, that built in support system will make it so much easier for both of you. Good luck.

Last edited by river; 01-02-2011 at 09:39 AM.
river is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2011, 10:43 PM   #11  
Mom to 2 beautiful boys!

S/C/G: 331/ticker/150

Height: 5'6"

Thanks for the info! I signed up and got the app. Now I am pointing out my food in the house! Thank you!
osu2k1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2011, 12:08 AM   #12  
This is the Last Time!

S/C/G: 172/*ticker*/115

Height: 5'2"

Can you join and get just the basic meeting information and still do okay? It seems like there are all these other books and calculators and things to buy that it makes the plan pretty pricey. I was thinking of doing the monthly pass so I could have the online access and all of that, but with 35 pounds to lose and only averaging 1-2 lbs per week I'll be paying for that for more than 4 months. That's $160 + all the books and stuff. I see the kits selling on Ebay for close to $100. How much is the Deluxe kit if you buy it from a WW center? I know my center will be packed this week so I might wait a week or two to go in there (or go in the AM if I can).
Rocki is offline   Reply With Quote