Old 09-15-2011, 06:16 PM   #1  
always meaning to

S/C/G: 268/288/150

Height: 5'7

Default Just joined WW online:)

So, me and the weight have been round and round and I was really about to completely give in and give up when I saw a weight watchers commercial that I had seen a hundred times and for some reason I just decided to try it. I've never tried WW before and I thought why not? I'm giving up anyway, whats one more try going to hurt? So here I am I also read something the other day that said if you are going to do something like this, commit to it and give it your all for at least 3 months before giving up and so that is what I'm going to do!

Its going to take me a bit to really understand it I think. I'm on day 4 and I'm sticking to my points, actually cant get them all in as of yet, and I'm sure I could be eating a bit healthier but I think I'm doing pretty good overall. The only thing that has been hard so far is wanting something to eat and knowing that I shouldnt and powering through it. So far so good I just hope I can keep powering through it because when I want food the monster takes over and I get food lol!!!! Also the grocery bill threw me for a loop but I'm sure once I start understanding how to eat properly I can get that back in check. I'm a snacker more than a meal eater so it will be a process. Ok I'm really getting long winded here lol I just feel good right now and I can almost feel that this might just happen!!!!

applestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 07:26 PM   #2  
one pound at a time

S/C/G: 222/in progress/115

Height: 5'3"

i'm doing ww online too and i'm so excited for you! i'm trying to stick with it. the one advice that i'll give you is exercise. the system seems to work better if you are moving around at least a few times each week. welcome!
jayohwhy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 08:24 PM   #3  
always meaning to

Thank you, yes I hope to start walking now that weather is getting cooler
Old 09-15-2011, 10:21 PM   #4  
I'm a princess.True story

S/C/G: 184.6/132.8/140

Height: 5'8''

Welcome aboard, applestar

I agree with jayohwhy, exercise are helping a LOT. Yes, you will loose even if you don't exercice but personnaly, it's going wonderful things to my body.

And for the grocery bill, you're saying the grocery bill threw you for a loop, you mean you're grocery bill increased? It did the same for me when I started. I got a Costco card (or just look for discount carefully) and I freeze a lot the the meat and the fish (and it's easy to plan the meal, you get a piece from the freezer the night before). I also freeze my fruits that are borderline to eat and it makes wonderful smoothies.

Hope it helps
TurboMammoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2011, 10:58 PM   #5  
always meaning to

Yeah the grocery bill was a bit high but once I learn how to eat on this plan I'm sure I'll get it back down. Thanks for the welcome I'm really hoping WW will be the thing I need to lose this weight and keep it off!
Old 09-16-2011, 09:09 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 202.8/see ticker/135

Height: 5'4"

Great job by making that first step to join!!!

I have a different opinion than everyone that says start exercising right now. What I found really worked for me was to totally concentrate on just food for the first three weeks. Get in the habit of weighing and measuring everything, journaling everything, and getting your good health guidelines in. I feel getting a handle on the food is more important that the exercise. WW as a program was designed to allow weight loss with no exercise. Once you have good control on your food, then add the exercise in. Not saying you can't go for walks or workout, but put your effort in the food to start.
SkineeMinnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 10:32 AM   #7  
Made of Starstuff

Welcome!

When I first joined Weight Watchers my goal was 16 weeks for the "Stay And Succeed" award. (Which is equal to about 3 months).

Stick with it! And keep coming around. We're all just supporting each other on our journeys.
Lovely is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 12:26 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 248/167/150

Height: 5'6

Welcome to our humble abode applestar. You made a great choice and i am sure you will have great success here. My only advice to you is to stick with it and tough it out. No matter what, it will work out. Also, make sure you track everything, and dont worry about if you start seeing numbers in your sleep lol, it will make sense. i was so obsessive about the points when i started.
mercuryblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 06:56 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 189/136/healthy&happy

Height: 5'8"

Hi! I'm kind of a newcomer to WW too (joined in June '11). I never thought it would work for me - I tend not to use recipes, I love to cook and I LOVE food! It took me a few weeks to get used to tracking points, but once I made it over that hump it became relatively easy for me. The online tools are a lifesaver - so much easier than tracking on paper, in my opinion. I'm so glad I stuck with it!
Hikermc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 07:01 PM   #10  

S/C/G: SW 268/ CW 202.4/ GW 150

Height: 5'1

Welcome newbies! Stick around here and you will do great *nods* This board is great motivation.
patchymama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 07:50 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 205/205/145

Height: 5'8

I just started yesterday..do you guys use scales to measure food? its odd because Im not even a big eater but still struggles with losing weight even when working out. I guess maybe I eat the wrong things and wrong portions when i do eat..we'll see how this goes
Janel83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2011, 08:00 PM   #12  
Made of Starstuff

Welcome to everyone!

Janel83 - I have both a food scale to weigh certain foods, and measuring cups/spoons to measure out other foods. Tracking your food will definitely help show you how much you've been eating and what sizes your portions are. I know it was a very eye-opening experience for me!
Old 09-18-2011, 05:40 AM   #13  

S/C/G: 193.0/185.0/140.0

Height: 5'1

I would like to join ww online, but am kind of wondering how you figure out the food plan and how to do the points. I have no meetings near me or at the times I would be able to go.. Can one of you ladies who signed up clue me in to how this works? I really would like to join, but am trying to get all the information I can before I do.. Thanks!
Ronnie
RonnieAdl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2011, 09:46 AM   #14  
Made of Starstuff

Quote:
Originally Posted by RonnieAdl View Post
I would like to join ww online, but am kind of wondering how you figure out the food plan and how to do the points. I have no meetings near me or at the times I would be able to go.. Can one of you ladies who signed up clue me in to how this works? I really would like to join, but am trying to get all the information I can before I do.. Thanks!
Ronnie
It's not a very difficult plan.

You sign up. You give them your stats, and then they give you the number of Daily/Weekly Points you get along with the Good Health Guidelines, etc. Then there's a weekly reminder system of things you should do to get used to the plan that week. Just to ease you into it.

Most of it is fairly self-explanatory.

You start tracking your food, and there's a database with many different foods in it, as well as a calculator you can use to figure out the Points for brands of foods that aren't in the system.

You can also download the Phone Application if you have a smartphone and track that way as it's connected to the online tracker.
Old 09-19-2011, 10:40 AM   #15  
girl disappearing

S/C/G: 311/239.2/195

Height: 5'5"

Welcome newbies!

I absolutely LOVE WW Online and I really love Points Plus. I have an iPhone and can track everything there when I'm on the go and for all anyone knows I'm just sending a text

I actually have to agree with SkineeMinnee: Get the food down first for a few weeks, then add in exercise. I'm not sure how it's done now since I do it online, but when I went to meetings on the old flex points system they didn't have you start to track exercising until week 2 or 3.

The exercise IS important, obviously, but I think the food is the most dramatic change for many people, so focusing on getting that right should be your first step for the first two weeks or so.
Tudor Rose is offline   Reply With Quote