Closed Thread

Old 01-21-2003, 10:14 AM   #1  

Height: 5'7"

Default Thin4Life - Week of January 21, 2003

Good morning Lifers, soon-to-be Lifers and anyone else lurking out there!

It was nice having a 3-day weekend although being off usually screws me up as far as keeping up with my journal. It's been cold & snowy here and it's hard to get moving. My gut instinct is to sit on the couch and do absolutely nothing!

This morning the sun is shining and even though it's only in the teens the sun makes it a little better and it gives you a false sense of warmth until you head outdoors. In any case, I'm planning on getting over to our Rec Center at noon and walk. I managed to get over there last week and I felt good so I'm planning on getting over there more this week.

So how's everyone doing? Hard to believe this is the last week of January. I'm not complaining--I'm really anxious for some warmer temps. We've had snow every day this month and we're only 1.5" shy of our normal snowfall of 90"...I'm betting we're going to have more than our average this year.

Update on my blood tests: For those of you who knew I went in to get my cholesterol, etc. checked I finally got the results today. It's frustrating that my cholesterol is high especially since I don't eat fried, fatty foods and use 1%/Skim milk. Anyway, my numbers go like this: Chol 220/HDL 91/LDL 120/Triglycerides 47 and the ratio is 2.42. I'm sure the doctor will decipher for me when I go in next month for my BP medicine check.

Last edited by MelissaL; 01-21-2003 at 03:54 PM.
Old 01-21-2003, 06:47 PM   #2  
si, si signora

Hi Melissa,
Sorry to hear the weather is not good. I'm back from Brussels and we had a nice time.

I'll post a link to the trip report and the one I wrote about London and Paris sometime soon. I even have pictures this time.

I don't know a thing about blood chemistry in humans, but your numbers don't look too bad. If you were a spawning female fish, I could determine many things.

This week is a challenge for me. I always have a hard time when I return, but I was happy to get to the gym this am and try to eat heathily. We have some major grant work that needs to get done soon and its really crunch time around here. So, why did I spend a bit of time today looking at bru-madrid tickets for March? hmmmm. My priorities are not straight.

I hope everyone is staying warm on the east coast and dry on the west.

lala
Old 01-23-2003, 01:22 PM   #3  

Smile Recipe

Where is everyone????

Lala: It's downright frigid here today. Some of the interstates have been closed due to whiteout conditions and the temps are a balmy 8 degrees F with windchills 10-20 below zero. Good day to stay inside!

Anyway, I posted this recipe on the Week 3 Challenge forum and thought I'd post it here as well. My leader gave it to me and I made it last evening. It's a great soup and is very filling for only 3 points. Perfect for the cold weather we've been experiencing.

-------------------------------

Nonnie’s Spaghini Stick to Your Ribs Soup

1# Ground Round
5 C water
4 C chopped cabbage
3 ½ C tomato juice or V8*
1 Tbs oregano
1 ½ tsp. garlic powder
1 ½ tsp pepper
1 tsp. salt
3-15 oz. cans light kidney beans
3-14.5 oz. cans Diced Tomatoes, undrained
2-14 ½ oz. cans FF Beef Broth
8 oz uncooked Angel Hair Pasta

Cook beef in 12 qt dutch oven or large stock pot will work as well. Drain well.

Add water & next 9 ingredients. Bring to a boil. Reduce heat & simmer, uncovered 2 hours, stirring occasionally.

Break pasta in thirds, stir into soup & cook additional 15 minutes or until pasta is done.

Yields: 13 servings (1 ½ cups) = 3 points

Freezes well.

*Recipe says you can use either; I used the V8 because I had it and it's lower in sodium than tomato juice.
Old 01-23-2003, 01:32 PM   #4  
Ready to Offer Support!

Hi, all!

Posted on the Challenge thread, but thought I would check in here as well.

Melisssa - the recipe sounds great, and I think I will try it soon. Though I live in the sunny state of Texas, it is also downright cold around here these days. Good soup weather. :

So, as I renew a commitment to exercise daily, and because I telecommute from home a lot, and am no longer a member of a gym, I was wondering .... any good suggestions for at-home workouts or workout videos? I have Taebo tapes, though that isn't really what I am looking for. More like a good step bench workout or a vigourous yoga workout that would get my heart rate up.

Thanks!

AustinGal

Last edited by AustinGal; 01-23-2003 at 03:07 PM.
Old 01-23-2003, 02:46 PM   #5  
si, si signora

what up austin gal!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

at home exercise: I don't do it, but you may want to consider
something like the walk away the pounds or the winsor pilates series.

Check out your local mass produced video chain and rent a few and see how you feel about them.

welcome back.

lala
Old 01-23-2003, 10:28 PM   #6  

Hi!!

Wondering if a new returning lifetimer can join in this thread???

I reached lifetime way back in 1972 and have been a WW on and off for years! Unfortunately I regained weight and am back on program again. Down 18 lbs. so far... but a long way to go.

I'm a retired banker/sales manager. Have 2 sons, 5 grandsons and one great granddaughter. A sweetie!

This is my first time to post on 3FC so please bear with me if all does not look right!
Old 01-23-2003, 10:30 PM   #7  

Just noticed I'm a junior member! First time I've been a junior anything for years! I'm going to like it here!
Old 01-24-2003, 08:33 AM   #8  

Welcome Sally! Of course you can join us! I've been at Lifetime since July 1999 and have been able to maintain my goal weight. At times it can be rough and most of us here are sharing ideas of how we're doing, our stresses, ideas, etc. I work at a university and have 2 sons (18 & 11). My older son will be graduating in June and will be going to college in August.

We're actually supposed to get a little warmer today...meaning the temps are in the teens! Anyway, I bought a pot of mini daffodils and plopped them on my desk--I figure if it's not Spring outside I can at least have a little bit inside

Busy weekend for me--Saturday our usual bowling in the a.m., a lunch meeting, and then a banquet for the rugby club. Sunday I'm working at WW and the afternoon should be on the quiet side and I'll use it to get housework done before the game. Hubby is excited that the Raiders are in. So what do you have planned??
Old 01-24-2003, 09:11 AM   #9  
Ready to Offer Support!

Hi, all!

Looks like great minds think alike - Sally and I both showed up yesterday!

Weclome, Sally! I am a lifetimer that is also, like you, working my way back down to goal. I just returned to this forum after a very long absence - but the folks on this thread are just so supportive and fun that you can't stay away!!

Today it is cold here, in Texas terms - in the 20's. It is not often that you see ice around here, but we have it this morning. Brrrrr!!

I am going to meet friends for lunch today at a Noodle house. I am not sure what the menu looks like - hopefully I'll be able to make a wise choice for my entree.

Melissa, as far as weekend plans go, we have the usual busy Saturday - tae kwon do for my son, finishing up a school project with my daughter, groceries, dry cleaning -- the usual! Sunday, I leave for a business trip California - I sure hope it is warmer there than it is here!

Tootles, all! Thanks for making me feel so welcome. Welcome again, Sally!

AustinGal
Old 01-24-2003, 05:52 PM   #10  
si, si signora

hey all and welcome sally!

I'm not going to boast and tell you that I saw my first snowdrops and crocuses in our garden today. However, it is raining pretty hard and looks like it will all week .

No big plans for the weekend. Gardening, work, gym, market, clean up back bedroom to make it workable.

I weigh in tonight, so hopefully my brussels trip didn't do too much damage.

Austin- where in Cali are you going?

lala
Old 01-25-2003, 01:16 PM   #11  
Zoe
I see the SON in Texas

Height: 5'6"

Default Soon-2-B-Lifer

Good Saturday Afternoon ~

Can I join in your group? I am not at maintenance/Lifetime yet but soooooo close. Of course, I don't know what y'all consider "close" or "almost". I just got home from my meeting and although I do not have an "official" goal with WW yet (they said wait till I get VERY close), I am about 12 lbs from my personal goal of 148. I have lost 38.8 lbs as of today. (3.4 lbs today!!! Woo Hoo!!)

I am 40-something, married with 2 children (1 boy, 1 girl) living in Texas. I have been doing WW for about 5 months and this is the most success I've had in all the times I've joined. As a matter of fact, this is the first time I've stuck with it and not thought that I could do it on my own. I'm walking on a cloud, being so, so, SO close to goal.

I am leaving 2 weeks from today for a cruise which has me nervous but hey, I think this past 5 months has taught me something so I think it will be okay.....

anyway, can I join in or should I wait until I'm closer to my goal? I'll understand it if I'm pushing to soon.

Have a wonderfully blessed Saturday.
Old 01-25-2003, 07:47 PM   #12  
si, si signora

hi everyone and welcome zoey.

I am in your position weight wise, close but no cigar. I did a great two years of maintenance at this weight and trying to lose the rest.

Boring day here, went to an early WW meeting, gym, running around, went out to brunch with DP and had oatmeal (the lowest point thing on the menu) and now I'm at work for a bit having just taken mr. jacques for a long periambulation. He is asleep on my office floor and he is just adorable.

Gained 1 lb from Brussels, but to my credit, I was wearing my normal work clothes, we'll see what next week brings.

How about we bring the bio thread up from the depths?

have a great weekend ladies,

lala
Closed Thread