Old 12-28-2010, 08:42 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 195/180.2/165

Height: 5'9"

Default Daily Weight Tracking - Whacky Findings

I've been tracking my weight daily since Nov 21 and just noticed some interesting things. I weigh in the mornings, so these aren't fluctuations due to time of day.

My weight goes down for 6 days or so, and then goes up. Then goes back down for 7 days, then up. Then down for 6 then back up.

Basically, it started at 187.2, went down for 6 days ending at 185. Next day, back to 187.

Then down for 7 days to 184.8, next day back to 187.

Then down for 4 days to 185.4, back up the next day to 187.

Down for 6 days to 184.4, back up the next day to 186.8 (progress!)

Down for 6 days to 183.8, then back up to 184.2 (more progress!)

Down for 2 days to 183.4, back up to 186 (eek!)

Down 2 more days to 182.8 (dehydrated, but still).

And so it goes.

Hoping the highs continue to get lower, and the lows do too. But this is why I track daily, to see what is happening. Otherwise it would look like I wasn't losing anything! But really, my body is experimenting with taking the weight off. My "official" weigh in day at WW is tomorrow morning.

Does anyone else notice similar trends in their weight?

Last edited by seagirl; 12-28-2010 at 09:19 PM.
seagirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 10:27 PM   #2  
MELTIN' MY BUTT-ER BUNS

S/C/G: 199.6/139.4/135-140

Height: 5' 4.5"

I just started weighing myself about a week ago. (I bought a scale). I was a bit afraid that I would feel defeated with fluctuations, but I think I prepped my mind that this was going to happen and in the long run the scale would show a drop in lbs. I did notice that my weight stayed the same for 3 days (within 0.2 lbs) then dropped almost 2 lbs. So I'll have to see if I have a trend for my ups and downs

Very interesting
MadamButterfly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 10:27 PM   #3  
Persistance loses weight

S/C/G: 216/177/136

Height: 5'7"

My weight goes up and down ALL week long, although usually by Saturday (my WIs) it is down. I drive myself crazy all week though constantly weighing myself.
skinnycow126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2010, 11:24 PM   #4  
Jillian stole my abs!

S/C/G: 195.8/138/140

Height: 5'5"

I like to weigh daily. I log it in my tracker and total it up at the end of the month. I don't worry about fluctuations.

Another good use is that you can go back and look at the fluctuations and the trends in losses or gains and see what you were eating, drinking and your exercise. It's a great tool that can give you insight to what works and does not work for your body.
shcirerf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 05:38 AM   #5  

The fluctuations don't drive me crazy. I'm sort of fascinated by them, especially since I took the time to notice the pattern. And it's interesting that I can come home dehydrated, have a bunch of soup and water and see that my cells are holding onto 5 pounds of water, then wake up and see that they've released most of it.

Just plugged my weight into the WW tracker, down 2 pounds from last Wed. and got my little 5 pound star!!
Old 12-29-2010, 05:43 AM   #6  

S/C/G: 178/see ticker/113

Height: 5'3

Those fluctuations ARE interesting!! I weigh daily too and sometimes the UPS will get me down for sure when I know I've been sooooo good, lol.. I try really hard for it not to but maybe I need to actually write them down so I can start to see my own bodies pattern? this made me think twice about it for sure! thanks for letting us see yours, it has helped me for sure feel more comfortable with my own, guess it's normal, LOL
spryng is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 05:46 AM   #7  

Quote:
Originally Posted by spryng View Post
Those fluctuations ARE interesting!! I weigh daily too and sometimes the UPS will get me down for sure when I know I've been sooooo good, lol.. I try really hard for it not to but maybe I need to actually write them down so I can start to see my own bodies pattern? this made me think twice about it for sure! thanks for letting us see yours, it has helped me for sure feel more comfortable with my own, guess it's normal, LOL
Write them down. It is really helping. I gave up on calorie counting after the first couple of weeks and joined WW. It turns out I was still eating too many calories when left to my own devices. Now I can just trust the process, and trust the pattern. You realize the little ups are just normal, and nothing to panic over. If I just weighed once a week I'd think nothing was happening, or that I was gaining weight and it wasn't working.
Old 12-29-2010, 05:07 PM   #8  

Hi all. I too weigh myself daily and have those kinds of fluctuations. I am trying to wean myself off doing this because it drives me crazy. It is good advice to trust the process. It's not easy, but coming to this forum is sooo helpful. It is comforting to know that there are others experiencing the same issues.
brookelynne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 10:48 PM   #9  

S/C/G: 250/217/150

Height: 5'4"

Alright, I"ll add my two cents...I weigh first thing in the am and right before bed, so yes, twice a day...but I don't obsess over the numbers and infact, just in the last week have I started to write them down. I find it interesting to see how my body responds day by day.

Last edited by JenB77; 12-29-2010 at 10:48 PM.
JenB77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2010, 11:39 PM   #10  
Strong is the new thin!

S/C/G: 178/152/close enough

Height: 5'9 1/2"

Yes, I weigh daily and don't worry about the small ups and downs. It's never a constant down, there does seem to be a pattern like you mention but it changes all the time for me. It's the overall trend that matters.

I find daily weigh ins help to keep me on track, but I think that's a personal thing, it does freak some people out.
river is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 08:08 AM   #11  

Quote:
Originally Posted by seagirl View Post
I've been tracking my weight daily since Nov 21 and just noticed some interesting things. I weigh in the mornings, so these aren't fluctuations due to time of day.

My weight goes down for 6 days or so, and then goes up. Then goes back down for 7 days, then up. Then down for 6 then back up.

Basically, it started at 187.2, went down for 6 days ending at 185. Next day, back to 187.

Then down for 7 days to 184.8, next day back to 187.

Then down for 4 days to 185.4, back up the next day to 187.

Down for 6 days to 184.4, back up the next day to 186.8 (progress!)

Down for 6 days to 183.8, then back up to 184.2 (more progress!)

Down for 2 days to 183.4, back up to 186 (eek!)

Down 2 more days to 182.8 (dehydrated, but still).

I've been at 183.8 for 3 days.

I also haven't been exercising...

Getting out the snow shoes today to see if we can continue the downward trend.
Old 12-31-2010, 08:49 AM   #12  

I weighed this morning and lost another 1.8 lbs since Tuesday so went in to etools to record it and it won't let me since Sunday is my weigh in day . I sort of understand that but I had to write it on paper. Would prefer to be able to record daily weight
TexNurse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 08:53 AM   #13  

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexNurse View Post
I weighed this morning and lost another 1.8 lbs since Tuesday so went in to etools to record it and it won't let me since Sunday is my weigh in day . I sort of understand that but I had to write it on paper. Would prefer to be able to record daily weight
I track on Sparkpeople, too. They let you record your weight daily.
Old 12-31-2010, 11:06 AM   #14  
Yoyo Master

S/C/G: 182/175/130

Height: 5'5"

There's an awesome site for daily tracking and you can see so easily whether or not you are gaining, losing, or maintaining.

It's called Physicdiet, just google it and you'll go right there.

With just a few days of entries it will start showing the line you are currently following. If you are "in the green" you are loosing.

My favorite feature is where it shows your "average" weight. I go up and down a lot, feel like I'm not losing, but I just look at that average daily weight and it just continues to go down a bit at a time. The moment it doesn't change,well that means I'm maintaining.

Won't that be AWESOME when I'm finally maintaining?

Try it out. I think you'll be happy.
Alright is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2010, 12:58 PM   #15  

i weigh in daily too. it doesnt drive me crazy. just gives me an idea of how i am doing. and use the weekly weigh in number as my official for the week. i have also noticed slight gains and then a couple of days later,, a loss.
Happy New Year everyone.
julie
auntj is offline   Reply With Quote