Old 11-06-2010, 04:11 PM   #31  

I just want to say that I wish those of you who are doing this on your own
the most success...I have found that when I am in charge of my diet and doing it on my own, I have the most success...I am not tied to a meeting, a group or accountability...You CAN do it...On your own and with limited resources...When you do accomplish your goal, it will be sweeter because you did it...
Should you decide that WW is not the answer, there are thousands of diets and groups and people who are willing, glad to help you..
crutcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 09:51 PM   #32  

S/C/G: 230/148.5/145

Height: 5'6''

I am not here to brag but to tell you that it can be done. I did ww on my own..didn't pay for meetings either (seriously could not afford it). I did ww a few yrs ago and had all the info. I got to the point where i said ENOUGH is enough. I knew it worked for me. I also walked a LOT and eventually joined a gym. I lost 90 lbs (ten back on now, lol) so this can be done!!

Good luck!! If you have any questions feel free to PM me
Angela
angelanicole23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 01:49 PM   #33  

I get $1,357 a month SS so I live on less than a lot of you, have house payments etc. and I still find the money for my monthly pass because that is a priority.
QuilterInVA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 04:36 PM   #34  
Marianne

S/C/G: 310/285/135

Height: 5'4"

Well...personally...I don't care how much money anyone makes...how they do weight watchers...whether they pay for it or find the information on the internet. I wish everyone the best possible success in their weight loss goals. That's what this forum is supposed to be about...support.
mmel3283 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 06:12 PM   #35  

S/C/G: 163/150/132

Height: 5 ft 5 in

I agree
veggiemama is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 08:01 PM   #36  

S/C/G: 210/209/174

Height: 5ft 10

I agree too.

I did it at home 2nd time around, although I was using the materials I'd already paid for. I had the money to pay, but I simply didn't want to go back to meetings. Having been to a few highly variable meetings in different areas for a few years, on the whole I found I don't enjoy them. I always had it in mind that if I truly felt I needed a meeting, I would go back, but ultimately I got back to goal and past it on my own.

It's good to see others who have done it that way too because on the official WW boards, good though they are, I see people telling others time and time again 'you can't go it alone' and I feel obliged to pop up and say 'well, actually some of us can, and do.'

That said, I do think it could be worthwhile going to that one meeting if you can afford to and picking up the course materials yourself.
lora m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 08:23 PM   #37  

S/C/G: 203/157/120

Height: 5' 2"

can i just say you DO NOT get the materials at the first meeting. Says so clearly on the website. You have to sign up and no, you can't just attend one meeting a month it is a weekly deal...if you don't go-you still pay. I do ww's at home. I bought the materials on ebay. Yes, there are plenty of sites to find info at online-google! Kudos to you for wanting to do this. I love ww's. I am not a 'meeting person'. I am thinking about joining online after the new plan hits-we'll see.
jess jp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2010, 09:18 PM   #38  

S/C/G: 132

Height: 5'1

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by angel eyes View Post
FitbyForty: I definitely will see if I can find some cheap books though...any suggestions on good starter ones??

Thanks!!
I'm actually new here too and I am thinking about either paying for the 3 months for $60 they have no for the online program, or doing it on my own. Still haven't decided, so going to try and start on my own and see how it goes!

As for calculating points, depending on what cell phone you have, you could download an application to calculate points (so you can take it with you anywhere!). There are also apps you can download in your computer (go to www . downloads . com and just search weight watchers points)

I'm not sure if I missed any post (I tried to read the whole thread), but, is there any book anyone recommends to get started??

ETA: I would actually hold off on buying any book or materials until the new program comes out (I read somewhere Dec 2010).

Last edited by laurums; 11-11-2010 at 09:32 PM.
laurums is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 06:58 AM   #39  

S/C/G: 210/209/174

Height: 5ft 10

Quote:
Originally Posted by jess jp View Post
can i just say you DO NOT get the materials at the first meeting. Says so clearly on the website. You have to sign up and no, you can't just attend one meeting a month it is a weekly deal...if you don't go-you still pay.
I was speaking from personal experience, in my country. I didn't mention anything about attending one meeting a month. I was talking about attending one meeting, ever, and not coming back but it seems I didn't make that clear enough.

In the UK you could turn up once, pay the registration fee and the meeting fee for that meeting only, get the course materials and never ever go back. However if you wanted to attend meetings and skipped some you would have pay for those missed meetings unless they were counted within a holiday allowance (can't remember how many weeks that covers). Alternatively if you returned after a long time you would need to pay another registration fee instead.

But that's how it works in the UK.

Last edited by lora m; 11-12-2010 at 07:02 AM.
lora m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 09:45 PM   #40  

Lora-a couple other posters mentioned what i was trying to say wasn't going to work. But you can buy the materials ON weight watchers.com...it is something like 99.00 which is steep if you already can't afford meetings or online.
Old 11-12-2010, 09:50 PM   #41  

oh and also lora-you're right. you CAN go in, pay registration and for the meeting, get the materials, and never go back. i wonder though how much that will run someone, because you can buy the lot on ww's website. can you just pay for one meeting? i was reading somewhere that if you miss a week you still have to pay...so i am wondering if they get bank/credit card info and still charge for up to one month? interesting. now i'm curious lol.
all i know for sure is if you go to a free meeting you don't get materials unless you sign up and pay registration, ect.