Closed Thread

Old 09-05-2002, 07:15 PM   #1  

Smile Joined WW Today - Any Pointers Appreciated

Hi: I made the decision today to join WW again, and hopefully this time I will stick it out. I lost about 25 pounds a few years back, but stopped going because of the money, and of course, I've gained 18 of those pounds back. At least I didn't gain MORE. I know what I'm supposed to do - journal, exercise, drink water, etc., but if anyone has any pointers on how to stay focused, I would love to hear them. I know that 3fatchicks is a great website. I have at least 50 pounds to lose, but even when I'm good, it's so slow. So - any help or hints would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance and good luck to everyone on their food plans (I hate to say diet).
Old 09-05-2002, 07:41 PM   #2  

You hear this all the time, but it's true: focus on changing your lifestyle. Yes, you're doing this once again (as most of us have), but this time it's going to work because you're going to change your thinking about weight loss:

-Don't worry about how long it takes to get to goal. You'll get there when you get there. We all lose weight in different ways, so don't compare your loss to your friend's (or to that in a previous attempt). Just take it day by day and think LONG-TERM.

- Revel in your losses, but expect the periodic gain. Sometimes it's a gain for no good reason. Sometimes it's deserved. The key is to think long-term, dust yourself off and stick with the program. Learning this lesson will really help you in maintenance, too, because the process doesn't stop at goal but continues indefinitely. It's about minimizing the setbacks.

-Don't think of your last attempts at weight loss as failures. Instead, think of them as warm-ups for this final run. Think about what worked and what didn't work for you in past attempts and modify the WW plan to suit YOU. You don't have to follow the plan 100% to be effective. You do have to figure out how to make it suit you and your lifestyle. In my case, the WW points range was too low for me, so I ate more. I lost more slowly, but for me eating more on a daily basis was what I needed to do to stick it out to goal.

-Track your progress. Track weekly weight, monthly measurements, exercise stats and etc on a piece of paper. It can seem tedious, but it can also provide good inspiration when you're feeling unmotivated. I have a year's worth of data that I still from time to time pull out for motivation. When I find myself up 5 lbs, pulling out those old measurements and reminding myself that I used to have 47 inch hips really provides a good incentive to get back on track.

-Immerse yourself in good things about weight loss (and there are some). Read success stories, feel really smug and superior about how you can zip that pair of pants that you couldn't just a few weeks back, treat yourself to new fitness gear, try new foods/recipes and etc. Enjoy the process by focusing on what you can have through weight loss and not on the things you can't have. Conversely, remind yourself periodically how absolutely gross you felt being overweight (pulling out hideous snapshots as needed). Sometimes a negative shot of reality is just as motivating.

-I know you know this, but...If you don't do it already, figure out a way to love exercise. If you can't find a way to love it, at least learn to accept that it is a key to weight management and good health and something that just needs to be done.

I'm sure there's more to say, but I'll leave that to others. Best of luck to you. It's an achievable goal - just don't give up.

Last edited by Rupertsmom; 09-05-2002 at 07:53 PM.
Old 09-06-2002, 12:54 PM   #3  

Wow, Rupertsmom!! You gave ME a much-needed boost with your post too! I've been feeling really sorry for myself today, because over the past week I've gained nearly 2 lbs. and I've been OP and exercising every day. I actually caught myself thinking, "Why am I even doing this? I try and try and I'll never get back to goal anyway...." So thanks for the words of wisdom; I am going to hang in there until I see my much-deserved loss!
Old 09-06-2002, 05:03 PM   #4  

THANKS Rupertsmom, for caring enough to take the time to post such a helpful note. You're right. Past failures can't be thought about - just the new good successes. I made it past day one, which I think is sometimes the worst day, and am heading for a successful day 2, with exercise and all. I'm feeling pleased with myself for taking that step yesterday, which I did on the spur of the moment. I dug out all my old WW books,etc., and spent the night going over things, reminding myself of point values. I think you tend to forget how many points certain junk foods are. That is a dose of reality there. Thanks so much for your words of wisdom. And Chocolate, I'm glad my thread and the reply helped you too. I know that it can seem an unattainable goal, but I'm going to focus on my first 10% loss, which for me is 19 pounds, and that doesn't seem so bad. Then we'll go 10% more after that. Regards, Cher
Old 09-08-2002, 05:55 PM   #5  

Thanks rupertsmom
I was reading threw these post just to get some motivation to get back on track and your post helped me alot. i am starting back on track right this second. thanks again
Old 09-09-2002, 09:14 PM   #6  

Just have to add my 2 cents..

Supplements: I find that taking a good multi vitamin and EFA (like flax seed oil or fish oil) plus chromium picolinate (spelling???) really helps. Selenium and Zinc have also been shown in some studies to help thyroid function and metabolism.

Protein: I have a sluggish metabolism, and I notice I lose weight faster if I eat protein based meals at breakfast and dinner, and have most of my carbs in the middle of the day.

Weight training: If you aren't doing it, start! You can increase metabolism and lower your body fat dramatically with weight training. I started with the Body For Life program in June and have lowered my body fat by 7 percent already, and dropped 2 sizes. I did not do the diet plan, just the exercise portion.

Water, water, water!

I also downloaded Healthkeeper, a food journal program, to make journaling more fun. I isn't WW based, but is a good resource.

WOW! That was more than 2 cents, either a bargin or a rip off! Depending on how you look at it! :-)

Gina
Closed Thread