Closed Thread

Old 08-09-2002, 09:27 AM   #1  

Default Cheerleaders ...

Let's try the flip side of the coin! I know we've all experienced the naysayers, and it sure helps to share those experiences so we know we're not alone, and that we can get past it.

But what about the people in our lives who have helped us in our journey? I would love to hear stories about supporting, tactful, kind people who said or did something that gave us a boost.

I'll start: I have two lovely sisters who never made me feel bad about being the only overweight person in the family, so many years. My older sister is a talented artist, and for everyone's birthday, she would make and decorate an elaborate cake. When I started WW, I asked her not to make one for me that year. (I could "sliver" a cake to death in those days!) Not only did she not bake a cake, though, she created an all-veggie (raw carrots, celery, etc. tied together) "cake" with candles in it! It was so thoughtful I just cried. My younger sister, a physical therapist and personal trainer, gave me workout gear, safety lights for my pre-dawn walks, and t-shirts with motivating messages on them. And my dh helped me buy a kayak and hauled it to all these neat places where I could use it. (Btw, none of this was done as a "hint" to get me losing; they all waited until they saw me seriously pursuing my goals.) And my friends ... the "real" ones, that is ... also gave me encouragement and compliments throughout the journey.

I reached goal last summer and have maintained as a WW lifetimer since then. Have lost 100 pounds, going from a size 24 to size 10, and am working on a personal goal to reach size 8. Life is good!

How about it? Would love to hear your stories ...
Regards,
Jan
Old 08-09-2002, 10:08 AM   #2  

Height: 6'0"

Good topic, Janet Mae.

My husband and I did WW together, so he was my big support (and I his). He keeps saying to me, "you've really lost weight and you look good."

My sister was also very complimentary. I had talked to her on the phone, but she lives 3 hours away. When she finally saw me, she was saying "Wow."

Some coworkers have made nice comments, too.

I did not have such dramatic weight loss as you, though. You are truly an inspiration.
Old 08-11-2002, 02:35 PM   #3  

Thanks, Domina! How wonderful that you and your husband did WW together; that must have been great for both of you! Congrats on your weight loss!
Regards,
Jan
Closed Thread