Closed Thread

Old 01-16-2002, 06:11 PM   #1  

Default Question...

Hello everyone I'm new to these boards. I wanted to ask those of you who are on WW program what do you do - meaning do you attend meetings or use the E tools. I want to use the E tools as the meetings never seemed to work for me (joined and rejoined about 7 times). Can you let me know reasons why you do one over the other? Also for those using the online tools ($14.95 per mnth subscription) would you recommend it? I am 5ft 2.5in. Weigh 185lbs - highest ever! WeightWatchers to me right now means I am just watching my weight go up and up -
Old 01-17-2002, 09:45 AM   #2  
yagottawanna

first of all, good for you in realising it's time to regain control!
As for the meetings vs online question.... I'm sure you'll get people who swear by both. Personally, I just started following the programme and going to and staying at meetings a week ago. I had lost a lot of weight this way about 5 years ago, and gained most of it back when I fell off the wagon. Over the past couple of years, I have tried countless times to do it on my own, to no avail. I realised this time that I needed to be accountable to someone else. I'm so glad I did. I've stumbled into a great group with a fantastic, energetic leader, and really feel that with their support, I can do this.
Weighed in for the first time last night === down 3.5!!

Perhaps your failure in the past had less to do with the group but with your readiness to do this.

let us know what you decide

jess
Old 01-17-2002, 11:47 AM   #3  

The FDA published the findings of a study they did a few months ago that showed people who attend meetings for weight loss actually lost more and maintained it better than those who tried to do it on their own. I always find something I can take to heart at a meeting. There is something to be said for accountability.
Old 01-17-2002, 11:55 AM   #4  
Life Time 2001

I like the meetings myself. Maybe you didnt have the right meeting when you were there before.
I always come away from the meetings with new ideas from othere people and the leader to.

I also need the acountibility for my self also.

I use Etools and it is nice but it just doesnt replace the meetings for me.

If you think you can be accountable to your self by using ETools or WW Online, then I say give it a try. If it doesnt work then go to a meeting. If the first one isnt good then find one that you do enjoy. A good meeting does make a big difference.
Old 01-17-2002, 12:50 PM   #5  
Turtle Buddy

Hi,

The main reason that statistics show that people who attend meetings do better is due to the positive support of other people. They haven't done studies comparing people who go to meetings with people who get their support from other sources like the Internet forums or through family and friends. Or just a buddy.

There are a lot of people who do WW without attending meetings, but we are not "alone" in our journey. We get support from other people and do just fine. The difference is what you need to help you stay on your journey.

I needed to be accountable to myself, and myself only. So, I started with the At Home program when they came out with it in the 123 Success days. I get my support online and from the people around me.

A lot of people need the meetings for other reasons, and those people need to go. Maybe they need to learn the skills they will need to lose and keep off the weight. The lectures and discussions are very helpful for those people. Maybe they need a face-to-face group to belong to who are all in the same boat. Maybe they need a time and a place to go to just focus on their weight loss journey. A break in their routine that can help them stay focused.

You need to assess your own needs and decide if you need what you can get at meetings or if you're needs are better served online or from buddies, family, and friends.

Good luck!

Lin
Old 01-17-2002, 07:22 PM   #6  

I've done both, gone it alone and am currently attending the mtgs. If you can attend, it is well worth it. You get such energy and ideas and accountability.

Michelle
Closed Thread