Closed Thread

Old 01-13-2002, 11:42 PM   #1  

Default 12 Week Challenge -- Week 6 -- Jan. 14 - 20th

HEY THERE GETTES!

Our leader brought up this topic last week and I thought it might be a good one for us. Why lose weight to get back to goal? Why -- if you're a lifer at goal - maintain?

She said for each of us it's different. We each have both general and pretty personal reasons why we either - are trying it for the first time, are coming back, or are working at keeping it off.

So she asked us to list 10 to-the-heart reasons why?

What will make it easier and more fun to do it? What specific results do you want? What to die for article of clothing are you dying to get into? What reward will keep you focused? What attitudes are you looking to improve? What will emotionally uplift you - when you are faltering?

One gal about 55 said... I want to have sex with the lights on!

So what keeps YOU focused and committed?

Kena -- and whomever else might have already posted... it seems 3FC is having "technical difficulties" and has deleted your info/ Grrrrrrr/ I loved what you said Kena - come back and post again.

Last edited by patch30; 01-15-2002 at 12:55 AM.
Old 01-15-2002, 09:14 AM   #2  

Wow - week 6 already.

Weighed in Saturday morning for a one pound gain . However, I'm not really that discouraged cause I'm looking at it as a normal weight fluctuation.

Why maintain? For me, the reasons for keeping weight off are the same ones I had for wanting to lose the excess in the first place.

1. To feel better.
2. For health reasons - not having any problems right now and I want to stay that way well into old age.
3. To look better in clothes!
4. To look better out of clothes
5. To make running easier - it's hard to run with 25 extra pounds.
6. To be less self-conscious.
7. To make hiking easier (see #5)
8. To get "lose weight" off of my life's to-do list.
9. To have one wardrobe - in one size - instead of two or three.
10. To eliminate one of the reasons for not participating more fully in life.

There are so many benefits to being at or near goal weight, and so few to being overweight. I can't even say that there is anything that I don't eat anymore - it's just that I perhaps don't eat it in the same quantities or at the same frequency.

Who else wants to have a go?
Old 01-15-2002, 10:14 AM   #3  

Ah, trying to remember what I said yesterday. My response was along the lines of.....I joined WW a year ago on Jan 23 and one of the main reasons I went was because I almost didn't fit my size 16 jeans and I had enough. I hated going out because I didn't have anything comfortable to wear - I couldn't wear sweats all the time! Over the following months I succeeded in losing the weight and I am proud of how I look and feel now.

I work very hard at maintaining that weight loss - why? Honestly, mostly because I know I look better - what a blast to buy size 8 jeans at The Gap. I mentioned yesterday that perhaps this is superficial, yes I feel better, no doubt, but that is not the primary reason I work so hard to maintain. I really enjoy buying the latest styles and looking good in them. My confidence level has jumped 10 fold from where it was a year ago and it's fun. I used to be jealous of thin people - I don't have to be jealous anymore.

I am going to start posting points and exercise details this week. (I don't subtract points for exercise, I just note the exercise completed that day)

Monday 25 (30 min. walk at lunch, 30 min. run in the evening)
Tuesday 24 (no exercise)
Wednesday 22 (35 min. run)
Thursday 26 (35 min. walk home from work, 20 min. run)
Friday 32 (no exercise)
Saturday 22 (no exercise)
Sunday 24 (25 min. run)

Have a successful week everyone!

Kena
Old 01-15-2002, 01:08 PM   #4  

At 45, and 5'5"... the bod ain't what it used to be and effort is needed to keep it the way I want it. So why maintain?

"Superficial" as some of these may appear to be - these are my to-the-heart reasons.

- My hubby loves the new me, and I love hearing his compliments. I don't want to lose that.
- I love wearing a size I never thought I'd fit into again ( 6/8 )
- Like Kena, I love having size 8 jeans, that I can put a pair of long johns under and they're still comfy.
- I want to try out new fun recipes that are culinary feats and low in calories - and have a couple of fun low cal dinner parties.
- Like Seasaw, and probably the rest of us... I want this off my to do list! To be able to internally be happy with the way I am - which is darn good!
- I love the fact that I can climb stairs, or walk 5 miles without feeling exhausted.
- I have and I want to keep the tendency toward getting diabetes at bay. Through WW and exercise I have. Major miracle.

What's left to do?
- I want to be able to bend down and not see my stomach hang
- I want to see if there is any way to smooth out my thigh side saddles... I know I may never get rid of them, but I'd like to see if I can resculpt a bit. Pilates anyone?
- My DH wants to see me in a bikini this summer. Yikes! I've got to think on this one...
Old 01-15-2002, 07:33 PM   #5  
Lifetimer

S/C/G: 183.6/173/140

I guess mine would be:

1) I want to be able to look in the mirror without grimacing

2) I love the way my husband looks at me and holds me when I am at goal weight

3) I just feel better

4) I'm a better example for my son

5) More energy

6) Can go shopping without getting depressed.

I think I lost this week and might even have gotten into the 140s (my home scale said 14.9.5 this morning). I'll let you know after my WI tomorrow.
Old 01-16-2002, 10:53 AM   #6  

Myra good luck with the weigh in. Thanks for writing the one about being a good example to your son. I want to do that as well for my DH and my stepson.
Old 01-16-2002, 01:07 PM   #7  

Myra: How did it go? Are you into the 140s??

Patch: I liked #1 under What's Left to Do. Actually, I don't really like it, it's just that I suffer from the same maladie...Sigh, another one for my life's to-do list.
Old 01-16-2002, 08:21 PM   #8  

Hi all--just wanted to let you know I'm still with you--have had a terrrible time getting the site this week--very very slow or down every time I tried. Have kept my points at the mininum all week except last Friday so I'm really looking for a loss tomorrow. I'll let you know. Our leader last week had us list our top ten reasons for wanting to lose weight in 2002 last meeting too--only we are supposed to make the list then check it when we're about to eat something not "point"wise and ask ourself which is more important--the food or the list. I don't have 10 things listed yet but I'll add to it as reasons come up.
1.Be at a healthy weight.
2.Have a better self image of myself
3.Have a bigger choice for shopping
4.Be able to tie my shoes without turning "blue"
5.Wear shorts next summer without my thighs rubbing together--we just bought a lake home--so bathing suits will also be involved--AAGHHH!
I know my prioritys will change as I lose weight--but this is how I'm feeling now.
I'll post my results tomorrow.
Jo
Old 01-16-2002, 09:17 PM   #9  
Lifetimer

S/C/G: 183.6/173/140

Yep! Here I am in the 140s again. It scares me because of the lower point range but mainly excites me a whole lot.

Here was my last week in the 20-25 point range:

Thurs: 23
Fri: 24
Sat: 25
Sun: 22
Mon: 26
Tues: 19.5
Wed: 22

I lost about 1.8 lbs. for the week (2.6 since the last official WI two weeks ago) and am now 149.2!
Old 01-17-2002, 06:26 AM   #10  

Myra - WAY TO GO, GIRL!!!

Back into the 140's - you must be on cloud 9!

Congrats,
Old 01-17-2002, 08:50 AM   #11  

Height: 5'7"

Myra: Woohoo! Welcome to the 140's!!!

Patch: I enjoy the questions! I'm soon-to-be 40 (June) and I've been really evaluating where I'm at in general and I have to agree it's taking extra effort to maintain/lose weight than it did before.

Like Kena I joined WW on January 23, 1999 because my weight had climbed to 161 (almost my top pregnancy weight) and I wasn't happy with it. I felt lethargic and disgusted with myself. Anyway, I joined WW and am proud to maintain my loss. So here's what I have so far:

1) To be able to pull clothes out of the closet and know that they'll fit.

2) For my health.

3) To be a role model for my family and for new members.

4) To be able to feel good shopping for clothes.

5) To be at my goal weight/comfort zone when I turn 40

6) I'm able to take long walks and steps without getting tired or out of breath.

I'm sure I'll think of others but these are the ones that pop in mind first.

Here's how my week went:

Thurs: 25
Fri: 21
Sat: 30.5
Sun: 22
Mon: 22.5
Tues: 20
Wed: 23

I lost .8 this week bringing me to 143.2; I'm slowing getting down to my comfort zone (138-140). Yoga starts on Monday and with that I'm planning on getting more walking in. This time of year is typically good for me in my weight loss efforts so I'm going to use it to my advantage Have a great day everyone!
Old 01-17-2002, 02:20 PM   #12  
si, si signora

myra- way to go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

lala
Old 01-17-2002, 02:30 PM   #13  

WOOHOO MYRA --- YOU 'DA (WO)MAN!!!

Here are my daily points / activity so far...

M -- 25 (track workout earned 5 Act. pts)
T -- 25
W - 34 - 5 act = 29 --
T -- 25 (hill work ernd 2 pts)
F --
Sa --- (group racewalk) - football party at home
Su -

gotta really plan for this weekend

Last edited by patch30; 01-18-2002 at 12:26 PM.
Closed Thread