Closed Thread

Old 08-29-2007, 11:54 PM   #46  
HERE I GO AGAIN!

S/C/G: 182/182/130

Height: 5'3"

I just wanted to check in. I am studying and decided to take a break. I have noticed I am snacking on the RIGHT things, just TOO MUCH of it! It happens at night. I have to get it under control. Same habits, different food.

After readying about the burgers Paige almost ate, It really does make sense as to why so many people are overweight. Unless you read labels (most don't unless they go on a diet), you have no idea what you are putting in your mouth. It is really irritating. Even my DD's school lunches are supposed to be healthy......HAHA!!! I was looking at the menu (she hasn't bought her lunch, but I just wanted to see if there was anything she MIGHT could eat if she wanted to buy it). They had Chicken nuggets, Pizza, French fries, Moon Pies. Cake, etc. Things are just FULL of fat and calories.

Well, I vented on that one.....sorry.

Ok, sounds like everyone is doing well. Linda, Go shopping and enjoy yourself. You will probably be glad you did. I hope tomorrow morning finds you feeling a little less lonely.

Good Night!
Kim
Old 08-30-2007, 06:56 AM   #47  

S/C/G: 199.5/186/135

morning everyone. It's meeting day today. I am actually going to take a pass at WI but go to my meeting. I let my grocery shopping slide to the back burner and have not been making some good choices. So I'm going to meeting today, pretending I'm starting over and making meal plans and a GOOD grocery list today.

I'm planning on doing quite a bit of canning of tomatoes this weekend so I want to have my food plans in place.

I want to thank every one of you ladies for being here. You are my lifeline at this point. You give me hope and I know I can do this
Old 08-30-2007, 07:33 AM   #48  
newlifestyle

S/C/G: 250/200/177

Height: 5' 3"

Good morning ladies,

Linda I am so sorry you are missing your parents. I know my mom passed away 7 years ago in September and for some reason around the beginning of September I miss her so very much. I think it is because I have so many good memories and as the summer is coming to an end I am just reminded of her. I hope that today is a better day for you. I am just thankful that I have those memories of my mother. Linda you always give us such great advice and support here. I wanted to say thanks to you for that, I know I appreciate all you do here.

Haylo, yeah, 10,000 steps, you did awesome. Don't worry about going to dinner with your friend. We still have to live life while we are on this journey and I am sure it meant the world to your friend and her son. I see you are truly a great friend.

Tech, Cooperstown, are you going to the hall of fame? I think the fall colours are so beautiful. Last year we took my DS out of school 3 times for vacations. The teacher said, he learns stuff when we go places and he comes back and tells the other children where he went and what he did. So they learn a little about things they weren't planning to learn about. I get in my steps because I make myself walk when I want to drive. It isn't that hard once you start doing it. I am impressed by all the riding you do.

Kim 2 sorry about your gain. Remember the kids are back next week and then you can focus on you. Have a great weekend. It sounds like you are busy.

Laura, I hope your meeting goes well for you. I know I find when I don't have my groceries stocked it is more difficult to eat healthy. It takes more work when I haven't planned. Did you get storms last night? We got them this morning and it was a lot of lightning and thunder. I hope you have a great day.

Kim, Do you make you DD lunch or does she. I know I enjoy my own food rather than restaurant/cafeteria food. I think it tastes better. Have a great day and I hope you got all your studying done.

Hello to Paige, Paige 2, Erica, Barb, Erika, Phyllis, Ginny and Emma and anyone else I missed.

Have a great day everyone.
Old 08-30-2007, 07:59 AM   #49  

Laura, dear, my advice is to weigh in, face the music and deal with it. It's hard to get on that scale in front of someone else and weigh in, if you know there is a gain, but think about it. Then, you will know what you are at, and next week's weigh in will show a fabulous loss as you are already getting back on track!
I haven't been to a meeting as I have been away from home. But, I hope there would have been a loss this week. There is no scale here at our lake cottage, and that is a good thing. Up until yesterday afternoon and last night, I was VERY good up here. Today begins a new journal and I have all the best intentions for the next several days. I went down the wrong path last night, though. I had two beers with dinner, but stopped before I hit a third one! I was very sad and lonely and just feeling sorry for myself. Yesterday was exactly like the day my dad died, in terms of weather. He died on September 15th and it was right after Hurricane Katrina. All the stuff on the news about Katrina was really bringing back all the memories. It was a hard night. I kept wishing that somehow, from heaven, that mom and dad could contact me, but admonishing myself for being silly. It was always so nice to have them for comfort.
Those of you who still have your parents, do call them today and tell them you love them. Take the time to be with them and do something to show you care, if you can. Do it for me.
Kim, thanks for your suggestions. I probably will do some shopping "therapy" this morning, nothing feels better than spending a few dollars and getting out in the world. I shall try. Also, it does pay to read labels. If I have to buy anything, nowadays, and there are different brands to choose from, I read the serving size, fat and calories before choosing to buy something. It's really enlightening. I have shaved thousands of points off our foods over the last couple of years just by doing this one thing. It's amazing how things differ, that all appear to be the same.
Tech, I'm going to save the low fat peanut butter for baking and go back to rationing small amounts of the real thing on occasion. I look upon peanut butter as a luxury item, considering how high in points it is. It really bothers me that peanuts are so high, considering that they are somewhat healthy and have no cholesterol. Oh well. A little bit goes a long way and I always measure peanut butter, as my "eye" will allow me bigger serving sizes all the time, I'm afraid. Speaking of which, how many of you actually do measure portions?
Thanks for providing the link to the mac'n cheese recipe. It's awesome and tasty! I love it as much as I love those boxes of mac 'n cheese like Velveeta Shells and Cheddar. If you put on the pasta before you start the recipe and lay out all the ingredients ahead, it's a super easy thing to make. It's quite tasty and I have leftovers for lunch today! I told my daughter on the phone that I was making it and she begged me to freeze some for when she gets home, she is in love with it as well.
Well, today is my travel day. I'm feeling less sad and miserable in the light of day, so I shall not go home until this afternoon. I will savor the morning and shop for awhile instead. I will look up to the sky and appreciate the day. I may even stop at my son's favorite restaurant and get him a N.E. Clam chowder to go as a treat to bring home for him as we will be just two for dinner tonight. He'd love that, I'm sure!
So, today is a new day, the sun shines, the birds sing, I'm here and so are you guys..... what can we do to further our efforts towards succeeding our goals? Perhaps we all need something new, something fresh that gives us new perspectives? I'll be pondering that!
Now, I'm taking an "unofficial" poll, but I need your help.
We are going to a wedding on the weekend of 9/16 out of state. I've never met the couple. They are older (early 40s) and he is a business associate of my husband. What I know about them can only fill one paragraph. The love antique cars and own 4 or 5 of them, they were even going to have wedding rings designed with engines on them vs. a prescious stone of some sort. Interesting people. So, my husband says that we should shop e-bay or something like that for a car-related wedding gift. I've asked for what type of cars these people have so I can be on the lookout.
But, maybe a more traditional wedding gift is in order? But, this sounds like a very casual wedding, the invitation said to dress casual and bring your bathing suit. They said it's a BBQ.... so maybe a non-traditional gift is in order?
But, knowing this about the event and people, what would YOU personally get for a gift? How much would you spend? We've not been to a wedding or invited to a wedding for about 10 years, so I'm totally out of touch with things. I figured I'd ask you all!
Old 08-30-2007, 08:04 AM   #50  

Ann, our posts crossed. Thanks for your kind words. Labor Day weekend always has been a traditionally sad weekend for me, no matter what as it signifies the end of summer. I almost feel this time of year is our "new year" vs. January 1 as our calendar traditionally proclaims.
I'm sorry you lost your own mom this time of year. It's really hard, isn't it? No matter how much time goes by, I guess it's always going to be hard. For dad, it will be 2 years on 9/15 and I can't believe it's been that long. I do not want to change things here as he built this cabin, but our chimney is unsafe and we need to modify it, or risk burning the place down. I think that one thing kind of got me on the wrong path, in a way, and when you add missing my own immediate family and weather exactly like the day he died to the equation, I'm in trouble.
But, I will go home later, I will see my son for dinner and my husband will be home around 9 pm tonight and I shall get a bug hug! That will do me wonders!
Time to move on with life, put the past in the past, right?
HUGS to you all,
Old 08-30-2007, 09:07 AM   #51  
Lifetime Loser

Ladies, I have a question!

I started WW on Sunday....I weigh every a.m., I know I know....after the first 2 days I was down 1 lb. now after the last 2 days I am back up that lb.

I had a hard time yesterday eating my 24 pts. I know I am eating more carbs than I had been. Maybe it is just water?? It is scaring me being up so quickly.

The scales don't usually bother me, maybe I just need to wait and weigh at the end of the week?

Quess the question is has this happened to anyone else?

Thanks, Phyllis
Old 08-30-2007, 09:38 AM   #52  

Phyllis, can't help you with this question because I stay off the scale until WI days. It's just to depressing for me to watch the daily fluctuations. I don't even have mine out at home.

Funny you should post about weighing in Linda - my mind had already gone there on my commute in this morning! Thanks for the reinforcement from both you and Ann!
Old 08-30-2007, 01:50 PM   #53  
newlifestyle

S/C/G: 250/200/177

Height: 5' 3"

Phyllis, I really enjoy your quote on your post. I find that the scale sends me for a loop, I have gone down in close sizes but all I focused on was that number on the scale. I suggest just weighing yourself once a week at the same time. Unless you are attending meetings and then don't weigh yourself, let the ww staff do it. You need to focus on what is going well for you and not focus just on the scale. I know that I have had a two pound gain in a day and found out it was just sodium. I find mentally it makes you crazy.
Weight gain could be from not drinking enough water, exercising and your muscles retaining water, or any sort of thing.

Linda, don't forget about the past though, the past has made you who you are today. I think it is okay to wish your parents would come to you. I am sure your dad would want you to make the cabin safe. He built it and struturely you are not changing anything. He would rather you were safe. I think it would honour your parents to see that you are living your life and enjoying the cabin, I am sure that is what any parent would want for their child. Always remember how much they do love you. I do hope your shopping went well. That is a great idea to bring your son home some NE clam chowder. I am sure your parents thought of you in the same way you are always thinking of your children. You are blessed to be their daughter.

Laura, I do hope today is going well. I have been thinking about you all morning and thinking I should be out buying groceries so that I have healthy things here. I hope today is a great day for you.

Old 08-30-2007, 03:02 PM   #54  
HERE I GO AGAIN!

Phyllis, it may be hard to eat the 24 points, but make sure you are. You have to eat enough, or your body will do funky things. Also, put the scale up. Only weigh in once a week. I use to do that, and I would find myself upset and stressed because they didn't say what I thought they should. If you weigh 1 time a week, you will get a true picture without the stress. Hard, I know....I struggle about staying off the scale, but it really isn't worth what it does to you.

Linda, tell us what you got on your shopping trip!! I hope you got something for yourself! As far as the wedding gift....I would say get them something FUN...The car-related gift is a great idea. They are older, so they probably have what they NEED, and from what you said, it is a FUN, casual wedding, so I would get them something fun. Did I say "fun" enough??? Sorry..
I will for sure take what you said to heart about my parents. I live 35 minutes from them and haven't seen them in a couple months. Life gets hectic, and before I know it, it has been forever since I have seen them. They are both in poor health and I know if I don't MAKE time, I will regret it. My kids love them dearly and I think their grandkids are what keep them alive. I really am ashamed that the kids want to see them so badly and vise versa but I never honor that. Tomorrow we will go visit when the kids get home from school. Thanks for your words and reminder....sometimes I am more selfish than I ever thought.

Laura - I hope you decided to go to WI......That is the hard part of this journey, facing the difficulties and dealing with it and moving on. I agree with Linda, you can find out what damage you have done, then you will know what you have to do to make it right again. Good luck!

Ann, I usually make her lunches, but she tells me pretty much what she wants. I really hope the cheering will help move the scales. The last month has been so hot she hasn't been playing, swimming, or anything. Now the homework till 11 at night also puts a damper on her activities. She is normally so active, but not lately.

Well, I have decided that I have NO choice but to lose this weight. I have decided that I want people to look at me.....ask my age......and when they hear '40' say........NO WAY!!! YOU LOOK GREAT!!!! My theme is going to be "40 and fabulous!!!!"

Ok, my kiddos will be home shortly, so I am going to get my books and study till they get home.

You ladies are wonderful! Thank you for always, always being here. How awesome to know such great support is only a click away. Even when someone is down, it feels good to know everyone cares.

Have a incredible day!
Hugs to all!
Kim
Old 08-30-2007, 03:58 PM   #55  

Ooohhhh *that Was Painful!!!!!!!
Old 08-30-2007, 08:35 PM   #56  

Hello everyone, geez things have been crazy at work. I have been coming home with headaches everyday, but today regardless of headache I went to go workout and go WI and I was down .2 which isn't much but I usually go to WI in the morning and this time I went in the evening so not bad. Well I have been looking at computer screens all day which is probably why I have a head so I just wanted to stop in and say hello.

Ann: really quick 8000 steps today.
Old 08-30-2007, 10:10 PM   #57  
barb

Height: 5'7

Linda I understand how you are feeling...My dad passed away in Sept ,9 years ago and it seems like yesterday...He was buried on my moms bday to top things off. Which was sept.15th..Just today I told my story to a friend on how he died which was not fair at all. It is very hard and I still miss him dearly. My mom will be 80 this month. She is my best friend. I do cherish every moment I am with her. I hate the fact that I am 3 hrs away from her and I use to be 1 mile away. We shared a lot of special moments together when I was back in MI. Now she can not drive to see me and I need my family to bring her here. That is one reason why I want to move back...Just to be with her and my family ...Anyway, I just wanted to say hang in there and you are right about huggy and visiting with family cuz life is way to short.

I did well today still need to write a few things down.... I am staying in my range or at least a few over...I did walk again today so I am happy about that... Tom came today so I am hoping for a weight loss next week. Maybe I was up due to that?? I need to stay focused this weekend....Someone is calling better go I will check in later Barb
Old 08-31-2007, 06:47 AM   #58  

S/C/G: 193/189/158

Height: 5'10

Good morning everyone,
I can't keep up to these posts! It sounds like everyone is so motivated around here, that is awesome! Well we brought DD's to the fair last night, and I wasn't as good as I was when we went last weekend. Today is a new day, I shall not get hung up on my poor choices last night.

Paige-thanks so much for that chocolate chip recipe. We tested them on Tuesday, and what a huge hit! In fact, I ordered all the ingredients in bulk yesterday, so I think they're going to be our signature choc. chip cookie! It must be the vanilla pudding that keeps them so moist? How are they with semi-sweet chips? That's pretty cool that your dad is still "farming it". I grew up on a dairy farm as well, and my parents still make their living that way. I will send you our website address. It's a fun place, but I'm sure there are some great pumpkin farms around you aren't there? I just don't want you to drive all that way, and then be let down by our place. We are popular around here, but that's because our pumpkins are only $2.00/each no matter the size. For 20 years, they were only $1.00/each, and that is how we got so famous, but then last year, we had to raise the price.

Tech- sounds like you have a great vacation planned... I remember the days before we had kids, to be able to just pack up and go wherever, was a lot of fun. Cooperstown isn't that far from us, maybe like 2 hours east of us? Such a nice town.

Linda- it sounds so peaceful at your cabin in the woods, on the lake. Whenever you are there, I always envision it.... and you with your laptop .

Ann- What grade is your son going into this year?

Laura- so I gather WI was painful?

Well, I should go for now, Hello to everyone else!
Old 08-31-2007, 07:42 AM   #59  
Donna

Hello All,

Didn't do to well yesterday. I had all the best intentions but then developed a huge headache and came home instead of riding farther, then didn't feel up to cooking so we ordered pizza Oh well, today is another day. I will update my tracker and move on.

Laura - Did you make it to the grocery store? Sorry about what I assume was a gain.

Linda - glad you're feeling better. Did you have fun shopping? I agree something fun for the wedding present. When DH and I got married we were already established each had our own home, we didn't need the traditional wedding gifts, in some cases we ended up with 3 of stuff (mine, his, wedding gift...)

Ann - yes the Hall of Fame is why we are going there. I've always wanted to see it and it was easy to make it on the way for this trip.

Kim - Too bad about the school lunches for your daughter. Did you happen to watch the Jaime Oliver series on making over school lunches in England? It was very enlightening and then Shaq had Tyler Florence do the ones here for his special series this summer. Although I have to say I ate milk shakes and fries for lunch in high school and I wasn't over weight. Of course it didn't teach me good habits for later.

Haylo - Yea on going to the gym even when you don't want to.

Erica - Your farm sounds like fun. Don't worry about last night we can only change what happens today.

To everyone else, Hope you're doing well.

I've gotta go. Have breakfast and get dinner in the crockpot. That worked well last week so trying it out again with a different recipe.

-Tech
Old 08-31-2007, 08:48 AM   #60  
HERE I GO AGAIN!

Hi Rennie, I hope your headache goes away! Sounds like you may have migraines! Good luck with that!

Tech - I hope your head is feeling better too. My husband had one the other day and he really had a hard time shaking it.

Erica, you are making me want to go get fall decorations...but it isn't quite time around here. Oh.....how I long for fall!!!! And $2 pumpkins?? That is great! I bet you guys do stay busy!

Haylo - What is it with all these headaches around here? I hope yours is better too! But good for you working out and even for the small loss! Sure beats the heck out of a small gain!! Since we always weigh more in the evening, you probably lost more than that! You go girl! Excercising with a headache is motivation! Good for you!

Barb, I always either gain or stay the same when TOM comes. Good for you walking..I hope in the next few weeks the weather here is where you can at least breath, so DD and I can start to walk!

I hope in my last post about not seeing my parents doesn't make everyone think terrible of me. Linda just brought home alot of stuff I had been thinking about anyway. I think the main reason I am so bad about going to see them, is that it depresses me and I avoid it. My dad was very sick 2 years ago. He had colon cancer. We thought we were going to lose him a few times when he was in the hospital. I was the caregiver. I stayed at the hospital every day, every night. My mother could not do it. She has emphysema, terrible arthritis in her back, diabetes, and other health issues (my brother was helping take care of her). I was dealing with her guilt also because she could not be with my dad. They have been married 53 years. My dad is ok, actually he is the one taking care of my mom. She tells me all the time she wants to die because she is so miserable. She wants to be in a nursing home. My dad said as long as he can, he will take care of her. She sits in a chair all day. She NEVER gets out. She goes to the restroom, and to bed, and that is the extent of her getting out of her chair. Sometimes I feel like it is more than I can take, so I just stay away. That is selfish and I realize that. They are the most caring, loving people in the whole world. They were the parents that all my friends liked to be around, so everyone was ALWAYS at our house. I even had a few friends tell me they wish they were their parents. My brother lives 2 doors down from them, so he helps them alot. I guess I am looking for advise or words of wisdom. Linda........are you out there???

I am getting emotional, and I need to get ready for school. I am sorry I am laying this all out here on the board. The subject of parents came up and I guess I need help. We are going to see them today if we can....if not, we are going FOR SURE going tomorrow. My son is so excited.

Ok, sorry for taking up a whole page. Any advice from you ladies would be much appreciated.

Gotta go get ready for school.
Kim
Closed Thread