Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 09-10-2006, 01:32 PM   #1  

Default Hiring and using a trainer

I would like advice about finding a helpful/qualified personal trainer and setting up a good working relationship. I am pretty clear about my goals: get someone to check my form on what I already do, teach me some new routines so I don't get stuck in a rut and do a monthly check-in for, let's say, 3 consecutive months.

Any thoughts?

Thanks.
Elanajel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2006, 01:57 PM   #2  

I just hired a personal trainer and I am glad I did. I have specific issues and I talked to each one that I was considering and wanted to see how they were...just a few conversations with each. First I chose only trainers who were certified and had good reputations, then I proceeded to talk to them either in email or on the phone about me. Then I whittled it down to a few that I met with in person.

I tried to give them all very specific information about me and see what they said. One guy simply said, "You need me, that's what you need." NEXT. The next guy said it was my HRT causing all my problems and I needed to go off of it. Really? That's the exact opposite recommendation for someone with osteo...lack of estrogen is a big factor leading to osteo and because I started perimenopause so early (about 34) and didn't take ANY hormones for almost 10 years, that was probably a contributing factor...okay so take my estrogen away? I don't think so. NEXT. Another guy rambled on about this stuff that I thought he had to be kidding. Another woman again on the get off the HRT thing and go on "natural" supplements. Sorry but I don't have the luxury of screwing around here. Another woman seemed very regimented in that all her clients did the same thing.

The woman I finally chose is just wonderful. Patient, knowledgeable, designs my diet and exercise to ME and only me. She knows osteo and has worked with people with joint issues/bone issues etc etc. and she was a world class body builder. She knows her stuff. She's great and I'm very comfortable with her. We haven't defined goals except for building my core and slowly building my cardio so that I will someday run (yes even with these knees and osteo, her goal is for me to run someday which I would love -- haven't done so in years.)

It was not easy finding her but I'm glad I did. Again, do your homework, talk to a few, take the time to really think about it and go with what feels right to you.
susanje is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 03:05 AM   #3  

having a trainer is great! it makes you realise your full potential and you are able to lift weight that you would never dream of by yourself!!!! i know i wouldnt lift too heavy on a chest press in fear of killing myself but knowing that they are there to help you is GREAT!!

if you go to a gym i suggest that while you are doing your normal workout that you watch some of the trainers interacting with their clients. you will get to know what type of person they are (talk, quiet, have a laugh etc), type of trainer (focus on core based exercises etc) and then you will be able to match this for what you are after. also wether their clients are getting results or not (i know a clients results arent totally reliant on the trainer but it does help)

Of course make sure you get their creditation and ask them their specialities etc but observation goes a long way

if you arent a mbr of a gym then maybe someone else might have some ideas.

either way a good trainer is def worth their $$$$!!!!
bellakat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 04:54 AM   #4  

S/C/G: 268/268/143

Height: 5"9

One of my friends is a personal trainer and he is great. He really knows his stuff. I think they're good to have coz they really motivate you and encourage you. They push you pretty hard though but thats all part of it. You'll be thanking them at the end!

MINI GOAL
[/url]
babygirl008 is offline   Reply With Quote