Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 09-05-2006, 02:01 PM   #1  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

Default Move Question: Dumbbell Pullover while Resting Upper Back only on Bench

So this is one of the back moves I do. Today though, I upped the weight, and felt my triceps (esp the right, and I am rhanded) helping out. It is not the most comfortable move to do and a little hard to get into position, but I love the way it feels - like I am strong. How can I keep my triceps out of the act though?

I checked my positioning, making sure only my upper back is on the bench and I'm not arching my back. Am I dropping the weight down too low, or is the tricep just a natural helper in this case and that's ok then?

Thanks!!
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 06:18 PM   #2  
Meg

Fran, I always feel DB pullover in my tri's! One of the reasons I this exercise so much is that I feel it from my elbows, up my tri's, then all the way down to my waist. Wow - lots of muscles!

Some people call pullovers a back exercise; others (like Exrx.net) call it chest because it targets the serratus, in between your chest and back. That's why you feel your tri's - which you don't in an ordinary back exercise (where you typically use your bi's secondarily). But I'm like you and include it on back day. It's my favorite back 'finisher'.

But I feel a lot steadier when my whole body is supported by the bench, not just my upper back (my feet are up on the bench). I see a lot of people with their necks and spines out of neutral position in the way you're describing - people's heads tend to hang down that way and they arch their backs. Just something to watch for.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 06:55 PM   #3  

Gosh I just love this site! Thanks Meg. Believe me, I will have no problem assuming a modified full bench position! Puhleez, that half on half off business equates to a game of twister for me, albeit a real good quad stretch while I'm down there in that position! I will start the "on the bench" work post haste! I didn't realize that the whole contortion of body really served no purpose, or didn't help to isolate the back muscle more. I'm so happy now!!!!
Old 09-05-2006, 09:04 PM   #4  
Mel

I find that if I'm feeling it in my tri's, I'm slightly bending my elbows, which really is a different exercise. To really tartget your lats (or chest as exrx seems to think) you need to keep your arms as straight as possible. Generally, you won't be able to lower the dumbbell or bar as far below your head (unless you are Houdini), but you can really isolate much more.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 09:19 PM   #5  
Meg

Weird, I feel it in my tri's even when my arms are totally straight. Maybe it's because you're using a heavier weight than I am (the most I've ever done is 50#) and/or your tri's are a heck of a lot stronger, so perhaps you don't feel it the way my poor weak triceps do?
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2006, 11:55 AM   #6  

Oh sheesh guys, I was feeling it on 15 yesterday! OK, I have a long way to go!! lol FIFTY!?!?!?