Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 08-21-2006, 07:38 AM   #1  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

Default LWL #269 - August 21st - August 27th

Morning all!

I have been to the doc's! My sore shoulder is a sore neck! I don't know if that's better or worse!! At least I know what kind of exercises to do, since it's similar to the whiplash I had about 6 years ago. I've been referred to a physio, so we shall see what happens.

Oh and the doctor asked how I'd injured it... I said "Hitting someone in the head with a right hook!" He was amused!
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 08:14 AM   #2  
Mel

Fru- I think that's actually good news, but also a re-occurring condition that you'll have to be careful of reinjuring. I have a client who suffered whiplash almost 25 years ago, and every once in a while has a flare up. Heavy overhead presses and pullups tend to makes hers worse. Glad to hear it's not a tear!

I'm back to lifting this week. I did legs yesterday and it wasn't even my usual crazy workout, but I'm SORE! I did my workout at a different gym without access to much equipment, so it was a very plain-Jane workout. No jumping on benches, bosu balls, stability balls, wobble boards....boring! But after a week off, effective

I'm also re-dedicating myself to 100% clean eating. This summer has been really hard, and last week I was a wreck. That has stopped! Back to weighing, measuring, and journaling. The good news is despite how lousy I felt about how I was doing, I maintained within my self-imposed range. (at the high end, but hey, I'm in it!)

Have a good one,
Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 08:27 AM   #3  

Hi LWL,

I managed !!! Again, i did a lot of things that i was in doubt i could do, and I ended up last week being ill but also with my house in order, and now with a very succesfull DDs birthday behind us. Apart from a tearing cough, i am on the mend again, and i am comitting myself to get back on track.

For starters I put the alarmclock 30 mins earlier, and did 15 mins treadmill, and 30 mins lifting & flexibility stuff. I feel very virtuous & I'll try to make this a habit.

have a great day all,
Rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 09:50 AM   #4  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Hi all,

I did a 5 mile hike this weekend (500 vertical rise) in 2 hours this weekend. I was very happy when my hiking book estimated that the hike would take 2 hours, 30 minutes. It was very humid and I was sweating like crazy. It was the longest and hardest hike I've done without taking a break. I also started doing yoga again twice a day. I know what I need to do is weights but I'm slacking. The past few weeks have been pretty busy but I have to figure out how to get myself and the BF to the gym. We also started looking into taking Aikido later this year when the weather cools off (and after we finish paying for the wedding).

My knee has started bothering me again where it hurts to kneel on it. I've started taking glucosamine again since that helped it last time. It is an old injury and it gets aggravated every once in a while. Stupid injuries
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 09:59 AM   #5  
aka Superwoman!

S/C/G: SW:226/16st - about 50lbs lost

Height: 5'8"

Ooooh Aikido - I used to do that. Twice! It wasn't violent enough for me!
2frustrated is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 10:49 AM   #6  

S/C/G: SW175/CW159/GW145

Morning all! Was a really good weekend. Attended an Arthritis Foundation Exercise Clinic...will get certified after I teach 6 sessions, so I found friends with arthritis and am going to work with them to get the certification finished. Also trying to set up small group Arthritis clinics at the gym...if they go, I will stay on. Made some good contacts at the clinic....one woman does pt on tour boats...now that would be a great way to do my retirement...doing personal training on ships...what fun! I'm going to look into it.

Worked out and ate well this weekend, dropped two pounds last week, no major aches and pains, life is good.

Nelie...did you do Sugarloaf again or another location? You inspire me to get out there...but with my weak knee I'm not sure its a great idea. Sugarloaf for sure has some really steep trails.

Rabbit, glad you got through the week. Hope you start feeling much better. Bet the kids were glad to be home.

Fru, sorry to hear about your neck...be easy on yourself.

have a good day everyone.

Susan
artmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 11:06 AM   #7  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Frus - well yeah maybe we upgrade to violence later

Susan (am) - No, I did Patapsco river which is part of Patapsco state park near Baltimore. It is a pretty nice hike but there was one killer hill and small hills.
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 11:21 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 165/152/123

Height: 5'1"

Hi ladies. Got in another full body WT day on Saturday. I am really liking it more than I thought I would. I was afraid that it would be a drudgery exercise, but I'm finding it a feel good. I'm currently at 3# db and doing 2 sets of 10-12 reps depending on exercise, so much growth anticipated. I lowered my reps on the back flys still using the 3# and was able to keep my form. My dh actually came downstairs to spot me to make sure that my form was kept - it was. I think I impress him

Mel / et al, I'm getting closer and closer to initial goal and trying to decide a demarcation line to not cross once I start maintaining. I was thinking a 3-5 pound range, what do you suggest? Example, if I get to 115 and find that it is suitable for my health and lifestyle, would 120 be too low to use as my red light to stop and focus back?
softballmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 11:37 AM   #9  

Hi SBM,

If I was near target of 115, yes, I would take 120 as the line in the sand. just try it to see how it works out. If after a while you find that it is easy to handle and you want to look more ripped ....you lower. If it is impossible to hold, you up.

Keep up the good work,
Rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 02:28 PM   #10  
Working My Way Back Down

Morning LWL! We have counted all the books in the library, and have clean carpeting and reopened for business. Now, maybe I can get back to a more routine life. Eating was so-so last week, but following a week of the same while on vacation, it's not good. Back to clean eats/whole foods this week. And more than that, back to the exercise routine! I have a new iPod Nano that I loaded up with music. Much easier for the gym than my big MP3 player (which I still love for the rest of my life though).

Today is DH's birthday - he's 61. I made him a small cake yesterday, and had a small piece for dinner last night. He had a great surprise treat - a friend of ours who moved away a long time ago, and who we haven't seen in person in about 8 years, is up here doing a job and called and came out for dinner. We had a great catch-up visit (and a salmon dinner - he doesn't get a lot of Alaska salmon in Ft. Worth, TX )

Glad you got your shoulder looked at Frus, and know what to do.

Rabbit, glad you're feeling better. It is a virtuous feeling to get all your exercise done first thing, isn't it.

to all of you. It's NOT raining here today (yet, anyway) so we're all happy about that. Lots of flooding north and east of us, and some friends who went camping in Denali Park are stranded on the wrong side of a washed out road. At least they're all together so no one is home worrying.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 02:40 PM   #11  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Ah here you are! I was afraid since I finally, finally got a couple workouts in ... that I'd have nowhere to tell it! OK technically they were on the 19th and 20th but ya know????
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2006, 06:19 PM   #12