Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 04-15-2006, 08:05 AM   #1  

S/C/G: 165/141/125

Default Whey Protein

Just a quick question about protein powder. I finally picked up some whey protein powder because I am having such a hard time getting a sufficient amount of protein. On the label it says :

NOTICE: USE THIS PRODUCT AS A FOOD SUPPLEMENT ONLY. DO NOT USE FOR WEIGHT REDUCTION.

I am sure this has something do with legal issues but I was just wondering what exactly this means. I am trying to lose weight but is it just basically saying "Don't use this like Slim Fast"? Or what? Also, I'm not lifting a lot of weights, maybe 25 minutes 3 or 4 times a week. Should I still be drinking protein shakes or am I overestimating my protein needs. I weight 148 and I've been getting around 100 grams of protein a day on around a 1200-1400 calorie diet. Enough...too much? Would very much appreciate opinions on the topic.

Guess that wasn't a quick question. Thanks!
KriWes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 09:51 AM   #2  

That warning is a disclaimer for liability purposes. Whey protein is not a meal replacement as it does not contain the micronutrients needed in a good diet. It is to be used as a supplement only.

As for your protein needs, this is an individual choice. Body builders try to get as much as 50% calories from protein. General dietary guidelines say 15-25%. I lift fairly intensely (for me anyways) and try to get 25-30% protein. I also drink a whey protein drink during the week to supplement the protein. I don't want to spend all my time in the kitchen cooking up meals.

100 grams protein on a 1200-1400 calorie diet is good, a fair amount of protein. I get anywhere from 90-125 grams a day on a 1500 calorie diet. The low days are the days on which I cook a non-meat meal for dinner. While tofu and beans are a good source of protein, they aren't as good as meat, chicken or fish.

Hope this helps...
northernbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 11:42 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

I also wondered about this for awhile, and the most I could ever find on it is that it's not a "meal replacement", it's a supplement. There are some out there that are protein MR's, and I guess they don't want to confuse things.
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 02:07 PM   #4  
Mel

Meal replacements have more carbs and fats added.
You'll get endlessly different answers on how much protein is enough. I try to aim for about 50% because that's how how feel best, and I lift heavy five days a week for my own workouts as well as tote weights around for my job. But you'll also find body builders who swear by protein ratios of anywhere from 30% to 65%.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2006, 05:55 AM   #5  

S/C/G: 165/141/125

Thanks, that answers my question, sounds like I'm on the right track.
KriWes is offline   Reply With Quote