Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 02-14-2006, 01:36 PM   #1  

Smile Muscular Failure???

When weightlifting how many of you lift to muscular failure? If so, do you lift to failure every time you lift?

Oh Sorry, HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY, EVERYONE!!

chiarij
chiarij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 01:49 PM   #2  
Mel

I do most of the time. I know there are certain body parts on me where the muscle is stronger than the joint, so I don't for those. It also depends how I'm feeling in general and if I have a spotter. I won't do overhead lifts (bench, shoulder presses, dumbbell presses) or squats to failure without a well trusted spotter. Very well trusted in the case of bench presses and squats!

"Failure" is a pretty vague term. Do you mean muscle fatigue where you probably couldn't do another rep, or actual failure? True failure with free weights is pretty dangerous if you lift alone or with an inexperienced spotter.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 01:53 PM   #3  

More advanced lifters like Mel, need the extra stimulus of training to failure to make gains.

I avoid training to failure in the bigger lifts (Incline press, squat, deadlift etc.) because it is so taxing on the recovery. Instead I end the set while I still have a rep or two "in the tank". In my current 5x5 scheme I am using single progression (increasing weight), while varying intensity by decreasing the rest time between sets until the next scheduled weight increase.

On lighter exercises, such as concentration curls and triceps push-downs, i will go to failure. I think I can get away with training these exercises to failure 2xweek, even while dieting.
RobertW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 02:04 PM   #4  

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mel
I do most of the time. I know there are certain body parts on me where the muscle is stronger than the joint, so I don't for those. It also depends how I'm feeling in general and if I have a spotter. I won't do overhead lifts (bench, shoulder presses, dumbbell presses) or squats to failure without a well trusted spotter. Very well trusted in the case of bench presses and squats!

"Failure" is a pretty vague term. Do you mean muscle fatigue where you probably couldn't do another rep, or actual failure? True failure with free weights is pretty dangerous if you lift alone or with an inexperienced spotter.

Mel
Yes, I mean muscle fatigue.

chiarij
chiarij is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 03:17 PM   #5  
FiferJanis

S/C/G: 237.5/237.5/175

Height: 5'10"

Default Muscular Failure

I give it my best shot... But I've only recently gotten back into it (after about a 3 year hiatus). Since I'm just starting back into it, I'm only doing 2 sets of reps, which really isn't enough to give me failure (at the right weight settings). Most weeks, I just concentrate on keeping the same weights and making it through the reps. If I can then easily make it through 2 sets, I'll add a 3rd set. In the 3rd set, I might reach failure.

Your muscles can lift a certain amount of weight repeatedly, but after you do so many repetitions, they get tired and just won't work any more. (It's not so much the burn, but they just won't move). This is failure, and this is why it's dangerous without a spotter on things like bench-press & squats. It's not a matter of pushing through the burn - the muscles have quit on you! At this point, it's not a mind over body thing, so don't think you can be superman and lift that bar off you if you think about it hard enough.

The last time I truly reached failure was in Iaido class. This is a Japanese martial art dealing with swordsmanship. Almost all the positions start from "Seiza" or sitting/kneeling Japanese-style. You raise your butt off your feet, put a leg out in front of you, and essentially do a lunge to stand up. Repeatedly. For an hour and a half or more! Ouch. the muscles would shake, and doing the motion was more and more difficult. During the last 10 minutes of class or so, my legs just wouldn't work in that motion any more! I had to roll over on my side and use my arms to help me stand up.

It's the same idea, though. You should be doing a motion/weight that is a challenge, but you can do (under normal circumstances). But you should be approaching failure around the end of the 3rd set. If you're not, and it still feels really easy through the first 2 sets, (and not too challenging or approaching failure on the 3rd) you might try increasing the weight.

--Janis
busker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2006, 03:33 PM   #6  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Pursuant to this thread
http://www.3fatchicks.com/forum/showthread.php?t=52021

I set the weight on my leg press thingee waaaay up. By 15 reps my thighs were quivering. I had to wait before I got up and went someplace else.

I don't know what you call that but it was good enough for me!
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote