Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 02-09-2006, 03:13 PM   #1  

Default BFL cardio question

Well, I just bought the BFL & EFL books on amazon today - however, the more I read about the program the more I worry that it does not have enough cardio.

Is there anybody on here that uses bfl and has seen great results only using 20 minutes of cardio 3x's a week?

Also - supplements - are they a must?? Just wondering!

THANKS!
Charlotte
CharlottesCrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 08:13 PM   #2  
Mel

Supplements are not a must- I'm assuming you are talking about myoplex and the bars? They are a convenience, and don't forget that when he wrote the book, Bill Phillips owned EAS, the manufacturer of myoplex. I only used it ONCE because I thought it was just nasty. I think a good multivitamin is a great idea, and I do use protein powders, but other than that you can certainly do BFL eating real food.

Personally, I had to do more cardio, as do most women that I know who've done BFL. If you are new to exercising, it's a great start. If not, I'd do more. If you are on a book buying spree, I'd suggest Dr. Pamela Peeke's Body for Life for Women. She advocates more cardio and slightly different eating.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2006, 08:57 PM   #3  

I did a challenge and found that HIIT cardio three times a week was difficult to maintain over a long period of time. Now, not on a challenge, I do HIIT twice a week and moderate the rest of the time.

Some people swear by the 20 minute HIIT routine, and others don't. I think you have to do what works for you. If you have time and opportunity to do extra cardio later on in the day- go for it, but make sure it's moderate cardio, not more HIIT. The CV system also needs recovery time, and overtraining in this area can lead to less productive results.

You have to use one of the EAS supplements if you think you have a chance of winning. Otherwise, they are optional. I tried the Myoplex Lite and really liked it, so I still use it. I also use whey protein a couple of times a week. I do not use creatine etc. I am too old for that stuff anyways.
northernbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 10:57 AM   #4  

Hi Charlotte,
I'm just coming to the end of week 4 on BFL and i've been doing the 20 min cardio.I've lost 5lbs,which is probably a couple of pounds less than i have been losing per month (before BFL) but i think that's down to gaining muscle.
I've lost 1-1.5 inches each from thighs,arms,hips,bust (0 waist )

I think a lot depends on how much extra weight your carrying and of course number of calories you want to eat. I average around (1500) .

I have to say I feel FANTASTIC probably better and stronger than i've felt in a long time.

The advice i got from LWL was don't over analyse it just try it.

GOOD LUCK
shush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 05:27 PM   #5  

I am just finishing off week 2 on BFL, and i am one of those that loves the HIIT 20 min cardio!
i have lost weight (4-5 pound in 2 weeks) but i also have gained muscle (noticeably)
i like the HIIT method, but i really push it, in the last hard minute my lungs feel like they are burning! AND i have increased amazing in only the 2 weeks! from a high point of runnin 10km/h to 12.5 km per hour! so i have noticed a difference in my cardio strength!?

I do not take the myoplex (too expensive in australia) i just use protein powder to make my own shakes (ie banana/carb, no fat milk, a scoop of protein powder, and some sweetner)
I found one of the most versitile foods to be "cottage cheese" but i blend it to be smooth like cream, and i add sweetner, when i put it on cooked apple,or with any fruit, or i use it plain on top of mince like using sour cream. It really tastes nice when it is not lumpy! LOL

It is a must on this plan to eat your 6 meals, and make sure each has one portein of protein and one portein or carbs! that is a big key to get sucess!
whether you use shakes or suppliments, or just actually use a normal meal! it will still give you good results.

If you need a BFL buddy or need some suppost feel free to pm me!

sonja
icedragon6669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2006, 05:31 PM   #6  

Also check out the website bodyforlife-tracker ! it is a good place to find answers and get more info
icedragon6669 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2006, 10:26 PM   #7  
bigmamatita

I've been following some tips from BFL and I feel a difference in my body. I can lift more weight (stronger). My cardio has also improved. The 20 min HIIT method seems to work. I'm starting to see a difference in the way my clothes fit. Makes me real happy! So I decided that tomorrow I will officially start following the BFL plan more closely. I dont plan on using any of the EAS products simply cause they're too expensive. I use regular 100% whey protein. I have a shake every morning, it really keeps me full. 3/4c fat free milk/1 scoop vanilla protein/non-fat plain yogurt 1/3c and 3/4c frozen strawberries. I put items in blender and it is yummy!!!
Please keep in touch with me I want to know how you all progress on the program. Good Luck!
bigmamatita is offline   Reply With Quote