Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 01-24-2006, 01:13 PM   #1  

Question Best cardio?

Hello,
I'm looking for suggestions for the 20 min cardio segments on the BFL challenge.I only started 2 weeks ago and I've been jogging on a mini trampoline at home as it's not practical to go the gym for those sessions. I want to find something to mix it up with and i was thinking about investing in a rowing machine as the one at the gym really gets my heart rate up (exercise bike doesn't) but before I splash the cash i was wondering what you folks think would be best.

P.s Please don't say running as:
A. I live in a very "small" neighbourhood and i'm not ready to be the talk of the street.
B. I'm built for comfort not speed.

shush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 01:23 PM   #2  

I REALLY like the concept2 rowing machine and think it is an excellent choice for larger people.
RobertW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 02:17 PM   #3  

If ur big the rowing machine is good but proper form is very very important. I would suggest a gazelle if it gets ur heart rate up personally, as I use it and it does get me sweating (and I do push it some cause I'm younger and a little less impatient, the last not a result of my youth). I like this thing and use it daily. If u don't like a bike which is also good try an elliptical besides the gazelle cause they are really good. Form isn't as strict to keep ur eye on as on a rower, for the ellipticals. If ur in good enough shape try jump rope which is a high impact one but burn a heck of a lot of calories. Good luck.
tobetheman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-24-2006, 02:23 PM   #4  

Step routines are inexensive and I find them low impact and challenging. I have an evileptical and I use it, but I am finding myself veering toward stepping. Not because it's easy, as I sweat more doing it than the eliptical. But it's so much more fun and I'm done before I know it. I hate being on the eliptical and watching the clock. The step routines just fly by and I can always buy a new workout if I get bored. Of course I stopped trying to get enough cardio in 20 mins. That just never worked for me. I have to do at least 30-40 mins 5 times a week to see results. Dang!

But if you go step don't get the shorter step like I did. The ab routines end up emplementing the step and the shorter one doesn't work so well. The longer one is a bit more expensive, but I would do it if I could.

Old 01-24-2006, 03:05 PM   #5  
Working My Way Back Down

My advice is if you go for DVDs is to get a few - I get really tired of them really fast. I have a lot of home equipment that doesn't get used. We have a bike, a trampoline, a rowing machine and about a dozen tapes. I do much better going to the gym - once I get there there's no distractions and a variety of things to choose from. But that's me - if you are disciplined enough to do it a home, my recommendation would be variety!
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 08:32 AM   #6  

Hi,

I got a bike, a rowing machine and a treadmill. of these 3 the treadmill gives the most of a workout, if I look at my heartrate. The rowing machine is next, but I have to be carefull with it as it gave me a tenniselbow. You have to switch the grip on the handle often. My best bet would be to invest in a good heart rate monitor. The BFL cardio workouts are really short, and IMO they do not work unless you really have very high intensity, which I monitor with the heart rate meter. I bounced on the minitrampoline also, but this was noway as intense as compared to the rowing machine or the treadmill.

good luck,
rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2006, 05:06 PM   #7  

S/C/G: 266 / 179 / 165

Height: 5'7"

I've always heard that weight-bearing exercise where you are standing is more of a workout than when you are sitting, like a bike or rower, so you may want to factor that in. I would vote for an elliptical or treadmill. Elips are cheaper, and no-impact. But if you think you may want to run someday, a treadmill would be good for working toward that goal.
sportmom is offline   Reply With Quote