Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 12-03-2005, 09:59 AM   #1  

Default waiting 3 hours

Do you have to wait 3 hours after you eat to lift weights or is that just for cardio?
momX3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2005, 12:12 PM   #2  
Mel

It's totally dependent on YOU. If I don't eat before I exercise (cardio and weights), I pass out. Other people do fine working out on an empty stomach. Some studies and anecdotal evidence indicate that doing cardio on an empty stomach is more effective for fatloss, but there are no hard and fast rules.

You can't do anything effectively if you are passing out.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2005, 12:27 PM   #3  

You will know if it is a problem. My wife feels really weak immediately after eating, but I am not bothered unless I am stuffed. Some people (HIT'ers especially) get nauseous when lifting, so eating soon before a workout doesn't work for them.

I do find that I am a lot stronger and more energetic first thing in the morning during a diet. Maybe my muscles have more glycogen in the morning? Or it could be the coffee, but I usually get up and hit the gym by 7AM and have breakfast afterwards. When I lift in the evening I feel alot weaker.

I would tend to try to train when you are feeling your best, if it is at all possible.
RobertW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2005, 11:39 AM   #4  
Ilene the Bean

If I would wait 3 hours after eating before going to the gym, I would be hungry again... I usually eat just before going to the gym, something light, oatmeal and a protein shake. By the time I'm at the gym a half hour has gone by, then by the time I come back at least 3-4 hours have gone by and I'm ready to eat again...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 11:02 AM   #5  

I do the same thing as Ilene. I usually have 1/2c cottage cheese or yogurt (both plain, non-fat) or 1/2 c oatmeal (made with water) with 1/4 apple or 5 grapes (or such - you got the general idea?) a couple of TBS of pumpkin (if I have it in the house), cinnamon and 1/4 c Uncle Sam cereal before I go to the gym. If I do the yogurt or oatmeal I add protein powder to up the protein. And a cup of coffee. I also have about a liter of water from the time I wake up until I leave for the gym (2 hours or so). I have about the same amount of the above after I get home and showered (2-3 hours later) without the coffee but with the water. If I don't eat after I get home, I find myself eating lunch (and I do mean EATING) from about 11:30 until 2:30 pretty non-stop, so I've learned THAT lesson ...
ellenuw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2005, 12:08 PM   #6  

If I go to gym in the morning I have oatmeal, play on the internet for half an hour, then walk to the gym, so about an hour has passed by the time I workout. I eat an apple on the way home, then have a snack on my return. Usually cottage cheese or something like that.

If exercising in the evening I do the reverse, eat an apple on the way to the gym and eat when I get home. I usually have something ready or I will eat anything when I walk in the door, not even the cat is safe!!!!

There is no way I could wait three hours between eating and exercising, a) I would feel too weak, and b) I think I would probably eat very unhealthily afterwards. I have never worked out why my gym has a vending machine full of chocolate and chips. My gym instructor often has a spare banana just for me!!!!
kykaree is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2005, 06:18 PM   #7  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by kykaree
I have never worked out why my gym has a vending machine full of chocolate and chips. My gym instructor often has a spare banana just for me!!!!
I think that's an awful thing to do to people!! I would definitely complain and kudos to your instructor for havin a banana for you
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2005, 11:57 AM   #8  

S/C/G: 198/see ticker/140

Height: 5'7"

I was seeing a personal trainer and she advised against working out on an empty stomach, say first thing when you get out of bed. She told me that the body needs to have something to burn. Even if you just eat some oatmeal or fruit. She also told me that you should eat again within 2 hours of exercising/weight training because you body is still in that burning mode. (I don't know how true all that is but to me it makes sense.)
Jaaaacki21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2005, 05:39 AM   #9  
Aussie Chick

S/C/G: 99/86/65

All I know is that about 20 minutes after a workout, I'm starving. I have to eat. And I learnt the hard way that diet coke when you are hungry does not cut it.

Kathy
kathyhegg is offline   Reply With Quote