Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 01-11-2006, 10:40 AM   #16  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by shush
I'm another BFL newbie (started yesterday).Are any of you vegetarians? and if so how do you fit that around the BFL food programme.
I would think vegetarianism would be extremely difficult to do because you need quite a bit of protein at each meal. If you eat beans and tofu they still have more carbs per serving than protein. Adding a whey protein powder to each meal would be good but boring after a couple of weeks. IF you are strickly a no REDmeat vegetarian you can still eat fish, chicken, eggwhites...

Quote:
Originally Posted by shush
I also want to do more cardio , at least 5x a week but i'm not sure whether i should do the weights or the cardio first.Does anyone know which is best?
I always do weights first, and it's what is recommended... Make sure your cardio is INTENSE

Have fun!

Join us on the main thread too....

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2frustrated
Also what if you do arm weights, then running, does it matter which way round you do them since you're using different muscles? (Apart from the tiredness for lifting...)
I still do weights BEFORE cardio no matter what body part I am training, like you said you will still have the tiredness of lifting...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 11:38 AM   #17  

Thanks fo the advice Ilene.
Although i'm a non meat eater i do eat fish and eggs and I have been checking out the recipe thread here too, i'm amazed how versatile c.c is !!( I've always thought it was just something my mum ate with a salad when she was dieting).

I tried doing the upper body workout for the first time today and i found it 10times more difficult than what i've been used to . I'm not quite sure of which weight to use for my first set so by the time i'm on the second or third with the heavier weights i'm really struggling It hasn't put me off though I will just need to invest in some personal coaching till i get to grips with it.

P.S Happy Birthday Ilene
shush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2006, 03:31 PM   #18  
Ilene the Bean

Shush -- You're a quick study girl, CC goes with everything ... If you are non meat eater you should have no problem at all with BFL, I don't eat that much red meat myself maybe 1-3 times/week...Do you eat chicken?
Thanks for the BD wishes
Old 01-11-2006, 03:39 PM   #19  

Ilene, No chicken either (even though my nan used to try and tell me it wasn't like real meat ).

I've already tried the cc. cheesecake with lemon and lime jelly and tonight I switched the mozerella in my veggie lasagne with cc it was a bit watery but it pretty much tasted the same. I love sour cream and chive dip and i've read that blended cc with chives and spring onions (scallions??) is just as good so that will be my next experiment.
Old 01-12-2006, 03:37 PM   #20  

Question Which version

BFL!!!
OK. So i've read the books, i've checked out previous threads and now i've booked some personal coaching at the gym. BUT i'm more confused than ever the more i learn the more questions i have .

For example :Some people have said they need cardio at least 5x a week.My PT said that was too much (as does Bill Phillips) 3x 20 mins is enough.BFL for women says 30 mins of cardio.

When to eat ? 2hrs before workout.1hr before workout. Within 45mins of finishing a workout or leave at least an hour after a workout.

Use the protein shakes or forget about them and concentrate on low GI foods

I've either read these or been told them from a PT.

To all those that have been there and done it. What worked for you?

Or is everyone different and i've just got to experiment with all the different ideas?
Old 01-12-2006, 04:28 PM   #21  
Mel

If you are just starting out, my advice is pick a plan and stick to it. We are all an experiment of one. BFL cardio wasn't enough for me to lose weight, but I was already close to my goal weight and already exercising alot when I started BFL. It was actually less exercise than I was used to doing.

The same goes for eating. BFL says do your workouts on an empty stomach. I passed out the first time I tried to lift on an empty stomach. Not a good way to get stronger or fitter. I still have the scars. Some people get naseous if they eat too close to a workout, some (like me) get naseous or lose consciousness if they don't eat. Personally, I can eat while lifting. I can eat while doing just about anything

If you get everone's expert opinion (including everyone on this board), read every book, talk to different trainers, you will get so much conflicting information that you'll be paralyzed. "Analysis paralysis". There isn't only one right way. There probably are plenty of right ways for every person. And what was right for you as a beginner isn't going to be right for you six months from now. So...pick a plan and jump in

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2006, 07:57 PM   #22  
Ilene the Bean

Dang Mel, you said that so well Ditto what Mel said !!
Old 01-13-2006, 11:11 AM   #23  

OK, i'm going to stop reading about it, stop talking about it and

JUST DO IT (BFL Bill Phillips version that is )

One more question What is a considered a good ratio for carbs/protein as regards food and protein powders ?

Thanks

Last edited by shush; 01-13-2006 at 11:51 AM.
Old 01-13-2006, 05:49 PM   #24  
Ilene the Bean

The GNC whey protein powder I buy is 20g protein and 1g carb, I make a milkshake with strawberries, half a banana or whatever fruit I have... I aim for 20-25g of protein and carbs/meal doesn't always workout that way though...
Old 01-23-2006, 12:00 AM   #25  

http://www.bugsmack.com/bflveg.html

I found a link on BFL for vegetarians. Lots of information.
lulu777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2006, 06:46 AM   #26  

Thanks for that lulu, it's just what i've been looking for.