Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 04-27-2005, 02:20 PM   #1  

Default When to Add to Weights

Hey everyone, I was wondering if you all wouldn't mind giving a bit of advice. I've been lifting for going on three months now, and seeing pretty good progress. I was very weak to start, especially in my arms, and still am, but getting better. Just so you have an idea, I start bench pressing 20 pounds, and am now up to 50. I do three sets of 15 reps, 3 times a week.

I'm not sure I've been going about knowing when to up my lifting weights the right way. The way I have been doing it is that when I can get get through a set of 15 reps without having to rest in the middle of it, then it is time to add 10 more pounds.

It seems to have been working so far, but I'm not sure that this is the right way. The last time I worked out I was able to get through some of my arm exercises without stopping, so it would be time to up the iron. However, my arms today (Wednesday) are still sore from my workout on Monday. The idea of doing 60 pounds on my arms is exciting to me, but I don't want to damage myself by going nuts.

So, how do you all know when it is time to up the weights?
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 07:19 PM   #2  

Hiya,
I usually up the poundage whenever a set feels very easy. I think your approach sounds good - a lot of people talk about working to failure, which basically just means until you couldn't do another rep at that weight.

The other thing you might want to consider is that working the same body part three times a week may be too much. I know that many of the folks here only work each body part once per week, or perhaps twice in some cases. A day in-between lifting sessions isn't giving your muscles much time to recover.
LKTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 08:58 PM   #3  

LKTS is right, when you can do 12 reps it's time to change up a bit...

I also agree that you should be giving your muscles more of a rest... I do a 4 day split ...
1. legs, calves
2. cardio
3. shoulders, abs
4. cardio
5. chest, triceps
6. cardio
7. back, biceps

Or you can do cardio after your weights and go into the gym 4 days straight ... take the weekend off or do just some cross training like biking or hiking...

Whatever you do I think each body part when you are lifting to failure should get at least 3-4 days rest...

HTH, I have to go Survivor is on!!
3fcuser1058250 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2005, 02:17 PM   #4  

Thanks for the advice. I hadn't really considered that I might be lifting too often. I think I'll try giving an extra day between routines and see how that goes. I did decide to up my weight, so now at 60 pounds for my arms exercises. I can barely move the bar at that weight! But I can move it, and I wasn't in agony the next day.

I'm going to get real muscles one day, I just know it!
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote