Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 04-20-2005, 03:31 PM   #1  
I need more coffee.

S/C/G: 280/259/170

Height: 5'9"

Default New to the LWL Board

Hi everyone. I am returning to weights after a loooooong layoff. I am a 44 year old SAHM with 3 boys (11, 10 & 7). I am 5'9" a weigh 267 (gasp!) I enjoy weights and hate cardio. I do plan to add walking starting Monday.

A neighbor of mine offered to set up a meal plan for me (she is a former trainer) but I told her that I know what to do, I just have to get off my but and DO IT!

I am glad to have found this group.

Dennise
DixieAmazon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 03:38 PM   #2  

Welcome, Dennise!
LKTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 05:18 PM   #3  
one fat penguin.

Hi.
I am in the same boat as you. I know what to do. Just to lazy to actually do it!
Are you going to follow a program or just make up one yourself?
Welcome aboard.
penguinbella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2005, 06:35 PM   #4  
I need more coffee.

Working on my own plan. I am starting gradualy so I won't get too sore and discouraged. Kinda hard when I can remember what I used to lift. The first feew weeks I am doing a simple 2 day split of the upper and lower body. Staring Monday I will start walking 3 days a week for a few weeks and then bump it up until I am walking 5 to 6 days a week.

Dennise
Old 04-20-2005, 09:02 PM   #5  
Mel

Hi Dennise

Welcome to LWL! I'm sure Ilene will be along to give you her official greeting

Don't compare yourself to even your former self You'll get there, and it sounds like you have a workable plan.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 03:45 AM   #6  

Welcome aboard!

I'm pretty new to lifting, and pretty weak. One thing that helps me is to keep telling myself that any improvement I make in myself is worth is. Others will always be stronger and fitter than me, but I'm at least a little better than I was before. It's been a good motivator for me.
Tealeaf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 04:26 AM   #7  

hi Dennise,

Welcome to the group !
Good for you to make the actual start !

rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 07:37 AM   #8  

Hi Dennise - glad to have you here with us.
ellenuw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 08:28 AM   #9  
Ilene the Bean

Hey Dennise !

Welcome to LWL .... We LUVS NEWBIES ....
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 08:51 AM   #10  

Hi everyone,
I am 23 years old and overweight!!! I started out last summer weighing in about 192 (acch!) and have slowly lost a few pounds. I am now at 180. I joined ediets a few months ago but just like Dennise, I basically know what I have to do to lose weight, its just getting motivated to do something about it that is the hard part. I stumbled across stumptuous.com a couple of weeks ago and started lifting at my gym. I go to a ladies gym, so of course all the dumbells and body bars are pink and purple (barf). Last weekend I decided to go out and buy myself a bench and a weight set at WalMart and have been doing it on my own and I absolutely love it. I am a little sad at how little weight I can do, but just in the 3 weeks I have been weight training, I have seen a dramatic difference in my arms and chest. What plan are you all doing? Anybody have any success with one in particular? I have not read the Body for Life book and am just trying to find the most info on the net that I can. I would love to replace all this fat with muscle and have some ladies to talk about it with.
PS I hate cardio!

Thanks! Leslie
Girlie245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2005, 09:37 AM   #11  
I need more coffee.

Leslie, you sound like my kind of gal. stumptuous.com is one of my favorite sites too. No nonsense weight training advice. There is nothing wrong with womens bodybuilding and fitness competions but some of the boards are so caught up in contest prep it is hard to gather practical information.
Old 04-28-2005, 05:13 PM   #12  

S/C/G: 235/see ticker/175

Height: 5'9

Default Newbie here!

Hello!
Iam new to this board also, but have been reading for a couple of days and sure like all the great info and "transforming" stories about you all!
I am trying to get back into my weights/cardio routine after having about a month off because of moving and a 2 week vacation to Mexico.
I find it hard to workout some days because of my almost 2 year old son, but now that the snow has finally melted we are walking daily.
Anyone have some fresh triceps exercises? Im bored of the cable pulldowns and behind-the-head extensions.....
Thanks
wkgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 06:06 PM   #13  
Ilene the Bean

Hey another newbie!! : WELCOME wkgirl we LUVS newbies !!

I love to do kick backs or dips without a bench or with a bench for more of a challenge....
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2005, 08:26 PM   #14  
Mel

I like high cable extensions with a double rope, skull crushers, dips, close grip presses, close hand position pushups....

Welcome

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote