Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 04-03-2005, 11:10 AM   #1  
Delicious Microwaved!

Default How to take measurements

I'm not sure if this is the most appropriate forum to post this, but I have a few friends who lift weights hard core and I know that they're all about measurements. One's always showing me pictures of famous lifters and quoting their chest and waist measurements and such. So I was hoping maybe someone could give me some tips...

Okay so I've been actively pursuing my goal weight of 130 for over a month now. This is with a combination of calorie counting, cardio, and lifting. And, I haven't lost a single pound

In another thread some of the posters reminded me to take measurements to see if I'm shrinking without losing weight. I've always been really really bad about measuring myself though, largely because I don't quite understand exactly where I'm supposed to measure what.

For example, this may sound silly, but where is my waist? The thinnest part of my midsection is about halfway between my breasts and belly button... is this my "waist"? I have always been under the impression that the waist ran directly across the belly button And how do I measure my arms and thighs? Do I just measure at the thickest point or is there some other guideline? Hips... thickest point?

I'd appreciate any tips/education on the matter because if I'm going to rely on measurements as proof of my weight loss, I'd really like to know that I'm measuring myself properly. I hope this is an appropriate place to ask... and THANKS!

Luciole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 12:09 PM   #2  

well i don't know about anyone else, but i measure my chest right across my nipple
my waist is on my belly button,
my hips, i feel where my hip bone is and that is where i measure,
my butt is on the roundest part
thigh and arm, the thickest part of my bicep and top of my thigh
I do my measurements not after i have lifted since they will be a little bigger
That is the way I do it every time then i see the difference from one measurement to the next, it works for me but maybe i am not correct either
new in town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 12:23 PM   #3  

Hi,

Usually as rule of thumb your waist is located about 7- 8" above the widest point of your hips. For the chest I measure underneath. I also measure my thighs at the widest point. I wish you much success on your way to your goal.

Diane

Last edited by dmb1031; 04-03-2005 at 12:25 PM. Reason: correct measurement
dmb1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 12:37 PM   #4  
Mel

I really don't think it matters so much where you measure, but that you measure the same place consistently. I always take 3 chest measurements: the first is directly below the armpits, and the second is around the ribcage under the breasts, and the third is across the nipple line. Since breast tissue is mostly fat and water, it is the most sensitive to hormone and hydration changes and for most women, the first measurement to go down.

Your waist is wherever you are the smallest- usually an inch or two above your navel. Hip measurements should be across the hip bones. Usually two thigh measurements are taken, one a few inches above your knee (write down how far above and be consistent), and one at the widest portion, higher up.

Bicep measurement is taken at the largest portion of the muscle. Some people take both a flexted and unflexed measuement. Same with calf. Just be consistent

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 09:15 PM   #5  

I wanted to add a thought, I usually measure in centimeters as it show progress much faster than inches. To convert cms to inches just multiply by 2.54. It can be a great motivator when the scale shows no change.

Diane
dmb1031 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2005, 10:42 PM   #6  
Delicious Microwaved!

Wow, thanks everyone for your advice and tips! The overall concensus seems to be, "be consistent and you'll be okay" -- so I'll try not to stress so much and wonder if I'm doing it "right". And Mel, thanks for all the specific spots to look for measurement-wise!

Part of the reason why I wanted to clarify measurements is also for comparison to others when their measurements are given. For example, I saw a write up with Kate Winslet's (curvey actress) measurements the other day. After measuring myself I realized that I was only an inch or two off from her, and that made me feel good because I think she's an attractive woman. Of course, I had no idea if I was taking my measurements properly

It's hard for me to keep a realistic image of my body. Sometimes I think I'm so far away from my ideal...and then other times I wonder if I'm not a lot closer than I think and am just obsessed with myself after all of my years of being very heavy. Does anyone know what typical measurements are, or "ideal" measurements, or have any knowledge of a site where I could input my height and frame and get normal values for the various spots we measure? I have some idea when it comes to the three common ones (chest, waist, hips) but my thighs seem HUGE to me and I'd like to know how they compare to typical measurements.

The idea about measuring in centimeters is excellent! I know sometimes when I do try to measure I end up saying, "... Uh... that's 29 inches and... um... a coupla' lines towards 30 so that's... umm..." Not a very accurate way of doing things Plus, the conversions will help me practice math! Yay

Thanks everyone!
Old 04-04-2005, 08:01 AM   #7  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luciole
Does anyone know what typical measurements are, or "ideal" measurements,
I really don't think there is an "ideal" measurement for anyone, I am ME you are YOU, it's like comparing apples to oranges. We all have different body shapes and we have to learn to live with them and accept them. I love my larger thighs (most of the time ) they make me feel strong .... So don't compare yourself... If you are not obese, your BMI is good, just continue your healthy ''Lifestyle'' and you can't go wrong, although we are not 100% happy with our looks all the time, some days will be better than others....
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 01:35 PM   #8  
Working My Way Back Down

And next time you're in the grocery store look at all the shapes apples themselves come in!
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 02:22 PM   #9  

Also check out My Virtual Model (www.mvm.com) for a feel of how you look when you started, now and what your goal looks like. A picture is worth a thousand words, as they say (who are THEY and why do they keep following me around and talking?)
ellenuw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 02:26 PM   #10  
Ilene the Bean

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenuw
... as they say (who are THEY and why do they keep following me around and talking?)
Silly girl!!
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 02:46 PM   #11  
Working My Way Back Down

Gads, that was scary! It did look like me, well, like my body! Thanks (I think) for the link Ellen.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2005, 03:08 PM   #12  
Delicious Microwaved!

True dat... all of dat!

Good advice everyone! Thanks and I'll try my best to take it to heart