Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 03-29-2005, 12:13 PM   #16  

Weebles wobble but they don't fall down, Susan!

Teapot - congrats on the loss, that's wonderful. I too would love to be 10 pounds down. I used to split my upper body workouts into "push" (triceps, shoulders, and chest) and "pull" (back, biceps, and somethign else I've forgotten) days, but I recently switched to a shoulders/arms day and a chest/back day, which works out more evenly for me. I find the workout menus at exrx.net really useful as a starting point.

Leg day went well yesterday - still feeling the deadlifts and good mornings in my back more than my legs but I'm hoping that's just adaptation. Have a wonderful Tuesday, everyone!
LKTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 02:05 PM   #17  

Hi all, thanks for the input. This is my second time to do the BFL. First time around, I had like no muscle tone at all,or to say the least very little. I did have good results the last time losing many inches and losing alot of fat. That was in 2000, i continued and kept the weight off for about two years but the gym I went to closed, I went back to school and many excuses later lost the good habits and the bad ones came in slowly putting me back in the same position (only heavier).
So here I start again, now remembering back to the first time around, I did get good muscle results in my upper body but did not really like the results of my lower half. And I was hitting the weights quite hard for upper as well as lower body. And I was reading different things about training for different shapes of woman (pear, apple etc)
and thought maybe I should change it.
I will say that I do very much beleive in all that BFL can do for you. I have seen it in the past and have great faith that I can do it again. I KNOW I WILL do it again.
But I do agree and maybe i forgot that I probably have lost alot of my muscle strength I had previously and so heavy for now will not hurt .
thanks for the help, always nice to have you guys around to bounce things off.
I must say I really like it around here.
new in town is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 02:16 PM   #18  
Ilene the Bean

New in town -- Welcome to LWL BTW !! I lift heavy for legs and UB. I am pear shaped also, I have found since I have been running in the last year that my hips are much leaner as are my thighs. From Jan 04 to Jan 05 I have lost 2'' on my hips...3'' on my thighs...3.25'' on my waist... 2'' on my chest (like I needed to loose there ? ) and only 14# in that year... It may be a little more inches now, I will be measuring on April 1st... I measure every 3 months... I can't wait to measure again to see if there is any difference I sure feel like there is ....

Teapot -- 10# loss in a month is awesome!! As I said above I lost 14# in a whole year ....

Art -- I hope you knee is feeling better soon, darn those knees!!! and shoulders as Mel said, they just aren't built right...

Tiki -- I've missed your posts, welcome back

Hi Rabbit, Mel, EofA, tealeaf, Pat and LKTS (what does that stand for anyways? )

Gotta run, I have a date with the tanning bed... I know, I KNOW, it's not good but my legs are so dang white!!

TTFN...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 03:01 PM   #19  
Jennifer

Before you go envying me, lovely LwL, just remember that I have quite a bit more left to lose than you do. I'd gladly trade!!!! Any takers?
teapotdynamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 05:43 PM   #20  
Ilene the Bean

teapotdynamo - Jennifer, still 10# in a month is awesome girl!!!!!!
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2005, 08:01 PM   #21  

thanks Ilene for the encouragement and I too have been sticking to the treadmill for my cardio to try and slim down, however I cannot jog for too long or too fast just yet, have to work my way up. But I am walking 3.5 mph for 1 min. and jog for 4.3 for 3 minutes and interval. I was doing it three days per week for my first two weeks and now just upped it to 6 days per week to increase my fat burning and trying to increase my speed each week a little bit too. On my cardio days I walk and extra 10 minutes at the end on and incline of #5 to give my legs, hips, and butt a good workout too. Every little bit helps I guess. I have to remember to baby step it. Two more weeks and I get to measure and weigh in. I do that every 4 weeks so I don't get discouraged.
Congrats Ilene on your losses and Congrats on Jennifer's 10 lbs too

Eats clean today and I did not manage to get to the gym but going to do a double cardio tomorrow to make up for today.
Well over and out for now chicks...see you tomorrow
Old 03-30-2005, 03:25 AM   #22  

Hi LWL,

Glad to see so many people back at the forum!. Apparently we all came through easter reasonably well. Except I have to get rid of those extra pounds, they are stillsticking with me but I refuse to believe you can have 4 pounds gain over easter weekend !!!

So clean eating for me, went reasonably well yesterday except for 1 dish of icercream with whipped cream & 1 bonbon. My husband gave me a box for my birthday & I really LOVE bonbons.

Excercise sofar today: bike my daughter to school & back 40 mins, 40 mins jog, UBW. Will bike again to fetch my daughter, so anothe 40 mins bike coming.

Jennifer..I too would kill for 10 pound loss in a month, I seem to bestuck st this weight now for 2 or 3 months.

have a great day all,
rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 08:54 AM   #23  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

Rabbit,

You bike your daughter back and forth? That is so COOL! How much does she weigh? That's got to be an awesome leg workout.

Ilene - I took measurements this past weekend. It is always a good feeling to see the numbers go down. Helps me to keep the scale up/ down thing in focus.

Jennifer - #10 pounds is AWESOME. Shows you are really putting in the work and are serious about what you are doing.

I am trying to get off coffee altogether. I usually drink 3 cups of decaf a day. Last night I bought some decaf green tea with mint. We will see if I like that better. The ultimate goal is to wean myself off of tea and coffee. Don't want to stain the choppers

I got in a 35 minute walk yesterday afternoon and then an hour of intense cardio last night. Tonight is bis and tris (i hate them) and 30 minutes on the bike.

Tiki.
tikanique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 10:35 AM   #24  

S/C/G: SW175/CW159/GW145

Funny how different people like different exercises. I love bis and tris, Tiki, but hate shoulders.

Rabbit, how cool to be biking your daughter...wish that was available to me when my kids were small.

Jen, sounds like you have a good cardio workout going. Those inclines really work your whole lower body....

Well, I am still resting my knee. Did 35 minutes of isometrics, then about 40 intermitent pushups. I am trying to do full body, but get lower, and I find it very hard. I can do it with my legs resting on a big exercise ball, but just on the matt can't get those arms to bend.

Yesterday I was so busy I forgot to eat...am back down to my lowest weight. Busy is good. Gotta keep busy.

Ilene, you are so good at encouraging us all. Thank you.
However, word of warning...Do you really need the tanning? Can't you use one of those liquid tanners for your legs? Don't want to be a nudge, but having gone through it, cancer is not a fun disease. It is UGLY!!! OK, now I will mind my own business.

Oh, I really miss my cardio. Hope the orthopedist has ok news tomorrow for me...I can't stand this inactivity. I'm starting to wake up in the middle of the night again...I need the cardio to keep me snoozing.

Have a great day all!
artmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 11:08 AM   #25  

Good morning chicks;
I did not do my cardio yesterday, pooey for me, but I did go this morning and did my cardio, which is getting easier so I increased my jogging to 4.4 mph, my legs must be getting stronger...yeah! ,
Then I did an awesome UBW, of course was crunched for time so I superstetted back with chest, bi's with tri's and got a really good burn as well as a good sweat so I was pleased.

I am going back to the gym this afternoon before supper to do another cardio to make up for the one I missed yesterday as well as work my abs. Eating is good today so far and I intend to keep it that way.
Decided today that I am going to buy myself a new pair of nike runners when I hit my 140 lb mark as a reward. (My sneakers are starting to feel old.)
Anyone out there drink green tea, and do you find it makes a differenc. I am drinking my 8-10 glasses a day but was thinking of taking out my morning coffee and making it green tea instead...
And just curious.....what is your favorite body parts to work? lately I am loving to work my shoulders, I love to do shoulder presses with free weights and then finish off with lateral and front raises to really fatigue them out.....starting to see some shape there and it is encouraging me.
I am liking my cardio everyday, I think because it is a challange to kick start the old fat burning....now for you guys, what is your favorite bodyparts to work and what exercise do you love to do for that body part?

Well have a good day all, will catch you on the flipside...over and out...
Old 03-30-2005, 11:35 AM   #26  
Jennifer

I love shoulders, too! I think I like them best now because I don't have a lot of fat there to cover up the MUSCLES. I used to do just the shoulder press machine and lateral raises, but I've switched recently to dumbells for both, and it's MUCH harder (and I feel it more!). Where I could do 50 pounds on the press, I can do only 30 with free weights (is this normal?), because my form goes awry with more. I think I'll get better at it eventually, but it feels really different.

Yay shoulders!
teapotdynamo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2005, 12:52 PM   #27  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

I love to work legs! Leg press, squats, calf machine, hamstring curl, anything legs. I also like working my back. Those are my two strongest areas so I enjoy working them and using lots of weight and looking like I actually know what I am doing.

Jen, I am also trying to DE-coffee myself by drinking green tea instead. I bought a box of the Celestial Seasonings decaf green tea with mint. It tastes pretty good and satisfied my craving for a warm drink this morning. We will see how it all goes.

Tiki.
tikanique is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 04:17 AM   #28  

hi LWL,

Tiki and Artmaker: thanks for the compliment but actually my daughter is on her own bike. It is about 4 miles to her school, and we have to step up bike practice because she will have a bike traffic exam in some weeks. My daughter is 10 years old, but she is small for her age (weighs about 50 pounds). In order for her to practce, I have to go the double distance of course: 2 x 4 miles to bring her, and 2 x 4 miles to fetch her. That should be an addition to my regular workout in the next weeks !

Tiki, glad to see you back
Artmaker: success with the bum knee, I admire your motivation

Teapot & Jen: sounds like you are doing great!

My workout today:
26 min pilates video (Do you guys count this as cardio ? Since it did not bring up my heart rate I think this must be just to get more flexible)
45 min jog, of which 10 mins outside
15 mins stationary bike.

Have a great day all,
rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 08:03 AM   #29  

S/C/G: SW175/CW159/GW145

Good morning all you wonderful people!!! Got a good night's sleep, in spite of no cardio, and amazingly, seem to have dropped two pounds. All this with no cardio. Don't really think it's poundage, must be water, but if it readjusts itself up a pound (please, please!) it will still be a new low. I have to try to be super careful today eating wise to maintain it. It is such an exciting feeling to get on the scale and see a number you haven't seen in years. May it continue.....

Did my isometrics this a.m., and would love to work again on pushups, but am thinking I'd better leave those for every other day. Won't have time to work out tonight, as I have my painting class. If I have time, however, I will do some floor leg exercises, which don't seem to aggravate my knee.

Have a super day. Oh, and rabbit, I think you are right about pilates being for flexibility...and, of course, building your core strength.
artmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2005, 08:55 AM   #30  

It seems like everyone is doing well this week. I, however, have fallen to the other side. I guess I over did it with some tree poses in my last yoga session on Sat, jogging and walking on Sun and some balance and stabilty moves on Monday and have really hurt my ankles. I pretty much woke up screaming in pain at 4:30 Tues morning. So I have been off things since then. Today is more gerneralized pain than specific so I must be getting better. I will meet with my trainer to lift tomorrow and he will ease me back into cardio. DH is certainly hoping this is sooner rather than later, as I have become quite snarky and otherwise grouchy. I never thought I would feel this way about exercise, but I want to get back out there!

Good luck on cutting the caffine. I have gone from 6+ cups a day to 1. I make sure it is a really GOOD cup (I roast my own - check out http://www.sweetmarias.com/ for more info). I also drink a cup of green or herbal tea with 15 minutes of jazz every afternoon as a "treat' to myself and a cup of green tea with mint, jamine or black decaf chai after dinner.

Sorry to be lurking so much - DH has rebuilt my computer but not re-installed the wifi, so I have been using his - not as comfortable or 'perfect" as mine, so it will be a few more weekends until I am back up and running. We have plans on Sat and tickets to the National's exhibition game on Sun. I am so excited about baseball in DC! We have a full season with seats just to the right of home plate - it should be a fabulous summer! Of course, after all we spent, we are doing NOTHING else this summer.
ellenuw is offline   Reply With Quote