Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 02-21-2005, 09:47 AM   #1  
Ilene the Bean

Default LWL # 191 Week of February 21-27

G'mornin' LWL . wakie, wakie, I can't believe I'm the first one here...

Today is going to be snow cardio, more snow during the night, later DS and I will go to the gym, I will do legs... Food has been good ALL weekend, can't believe that one! It does happen to me once in a great while ... The only thing is that I had some wine, but just a couple of glasses to me that's no big deal...

I'm off to do errands....

Let's be careful out there this week! TTFN
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 10:36 AM   #2  

Today is a late day with my trainer - we will meet at noon instead of nine, so I have a few minutes. Today is my last day on the bike and then I spend a week on the treadmill on my new cardio program. I am glad - I am not to fond of the bike. But it is only for a week 3 more times in this 12 week plan - pump up my book on tape, and I should get through it. It is only temporary. These next couple of weeks seem overplanned (and it is only Monday). I need to remember to take time for myself or I will be frazzled by the end. I know my fix - 15 minutes of jazz and a cup of tea every day between 3 and 4. It is a promise to myself. Hopefully I have learned to see this and beat the stress before it beats me.

Hope you all have a great week!
ellenuw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 11:13 AM   #3  
Queen of Wishful Thinking

S/C/G: 230/216/150

Height: 5'6

Today will be a UB workout. I did manage to do legs on Friday and back on Saturday. My lower back was feeling quite a bit better yesterday, but sitting in this horrible chair at work seems to be undoing its recovery. I should bring my balance ball in to sit on.

Eating was not great over the weekend - two "latte meals" yesterday, and munchies on Saturday night - but onto better things starting today.

Best wishes for a wonderful week!
2sw33t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 11:56 AM   #4  

S/C/G: SW175/CW159/GW145

Getting into scary territory now...dropped another pound, and am close to my low of 154. After that it will be virgin territory. Am amazed that the weight is coming off in spite of my curtailed cardio, due to my knee injury. Think eating Ilene's pancakes (thank you so much!!!) every morning, plus eating alot of the steamed cabbage to fill me up, with sauce and various proteins (tofu, salmon, chicken), then a salad for dinner, has helped enormously. At first it was hard to keep my meals simple...I love to cook...but this is working, and I will stick with simple and effective for now.

I know myself however, and am afraid of the self-sabatogue (sp?) I do...as though I am afraid of success. This time is going to be different...I am determined!!!

It helps so much to have a trainer working with me. I had a great workout today in spite of my knee...she finds ways to work around the injury. Sweated a ton.

Hope everyone is doing ok. JCH, glad your back is a bit better. Ellen, good that you know what you need to do to keep sane. Ilene, thanks for starting the thread.
artmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 01:19 PM   #5  
Mel

Ilene, thanks for starting the thread. I woke up this morning to no internet so I couldn't get us up and running or get my computer time
Oh well, got my workout done early and I'm not sure I would have fit it in any other time today. I have this hour off, but the rest of the day is booked solid. I shouldn't complain because the rest of the week is pretty light. I really need to find a few more clients!

Did chest-heavy this morning. I STILL cannot bench my weight and I'm getting really frustrated. I've pulled out every training trick in the book (except eating more or banned substances!) but I'm just stuck. My weights are going up in every other chest exercise, but I'm stuck, stuck, stuck on the actual bench press. I'm getting very frustrated.

Food has been good, cardio on track....

Artmaker- Good for you on getting back to your low. Don't even think about self-sabotage! Keep the thoughts positive

Ellen- Way to go on identifying the stress before it happens and having a plan. I'm sure you'll make it through the week.

JCH- At least take a chair break from time to time and stretch. I do know people who take a balance ball to work.

OK, back to the gym!

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 01:28 PM   #6  

Hey, I can hardly BP 1/3 of my weight! You sound like superwoman to me Mel!

How are your triceps? They are engaged in the BP right?
julesrules is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2005, 03:11 PM   #7  

Good afternoon LWL,

I certainly didn't eat clean this weekend, my daughter was begging for pizza by noon on Saturday and I didn't give in until Sunday evening but what a party we had then. But I'm focused and doing just fine so far today.

I meet with a new PT this evening. I've had a heck of a time getting rolling with these guys. Out of 6 appointments I've had 3 where the trainer didn't show up and one where he was late and one that he gave me a free abbreviated session. That means I've had 1 where he was on time and I got his undivided attention for a full 30 minutes. I spoke with the manager this Saturday, changed PT's and told him if there was even one cancellation this week they had better be prepared to give me a full refund. There are 4 gyms within 8 miles of my house, this is the closest one but the others aren't all that far enough away to really matter.

I'm really disappointed because I'm going to need to meet this trainer in the evenings and I much prefer working out in the morning but dependability is far more important. When they get to the gym late that means I've got to cancel or end up being late for work. Anyway I'm cautiously optimistic about meeting with this new trainer.

Mel, I would LOVE to be one of your clients, have you ever considered relocating to sunny AZ. It gets pretty hot during the summer but it's a dry eat.

TTFN,

Last edited by EofAZ; 02-21-2005 at 03:15 PM.
EofAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 06:48 AM   #8  

hi LWL,

Just checking in to report. Week started well yesterday with LBW and 20 mnins row, 30 mins jog, 30 mins bike. Today had an appointment that I kind of dreaded. Did 20 mins row, 20 mins jog and 20 mins bike AND made it in time to the appointment, which is over now.

To make up for this I went on a shopping splurge...but in the local thriftshop to buy some light reading.

have a good week all,
rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 11:41 AM   #9  

Good Morning LWL,

Just a quick note to let you know that my PT worked my butt off last night. She had no mercy and it was wonderful. We did a good leg workout and she pushed me farther then I thought I could go. I'm still walking funny this morning but it feels sooooo good.

TTFN,
EofAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 12:37 PM   #10  
mox

Default I'm bummed

Hello everyone: Well, the results of my MRI are back and ... I have a torn ACL and a sprained MCL. The tear isn't complete, so the first step will be physical therapy, but I'm pretty bummed out. I find it hard to maintain enthusiasm to work out (or walk extra which is what I've been doing), when bad things like this pop up. But, I guess it's good to know what's going on and to deal with it. Just another sign that I need to treat my body more gently -- I've been able to get away with a lot of bad stuff, but as I get older, that's just not cutting it any longer.

My food intake has been good -- I've been focusing on calories (my goal is around 1400 cal/day, give or take 100) with about 20% fat. I had previously lost a great deal of weight (about 75 pounds) on a low cal/low fat diet, so it's kinda hard for me to keep my fat intake up without going overboard. But, I'm trying to make adjustments and take it day by day.

I hope everyone has a good week. I know I'll get over my bum-ness once I know the actual plan of action.

Mox
mox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 12:51 PM   #11  
Working My Way Back Down

Good morning. Had a good legs workout last night, and for a change a fairly high intensity cardio (on the elliptical). I was dripping when I finished. I now have two rest days, mostly because I have evening meetings for work, though I'm thinking I could cut out of the office early and hit the gym and shower there. The main drawback is that their showers are like a spring shower - no pressure, or even much water. Takes me forever to rinse my hair. But it would let me keep my workout schedule. Hmmm. think I'll at least put my stuff in the car so it's an option.
WaterRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 08:00 PM   #12  
Ilene the Bean

Drive by post for Mox -- Hang in there girl !! We know you can do it!! on the good eating eventhough you are in a slump, that is something to be very proud of!!
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2005, 08:44 PM   #13  
Mel

Oh Mox! Hang in there! Really sorry to hear the MRI results. Hopefully hou can rehab it. As Ilene said, good job on sticking to the eating despite the physical set-backs

Evangeline- LOL! Glad you finally hooked up with a trainer who treated you properly I'd love to move to Arizona to train you You just need to find me about 10-12 more regular clients and find my dh a job, too. I wouldn't mind some now at all.

Jules- I'm certainly not superwoman, I've just been at this a looooong time. I think you are right, it is my triceps that are failing, not my chest. I do lots of tri work, tho, and have been consistently upping those weights too. Unfortunately, after yesterday's session, I'm feeling some shoulder twinges so I may have to take a break from this rather silly goal.

Despite shoulder twinges, I did shoulders today, paying special attention to actually do all the annoying rotator cuff exercises. I used to hate shoulder day, but I've gotten a lot more inventive with cables and playing balance games while I lift, so I don't find it horribly boring any more.

Cardio was split between the recumbent bike and the elliptical. After Pat's description of her session, I have to admit I don't push myself all that hard. I was NOT dripping.

Tomorrow is leg day! Wahoo!

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 11:18 AM   #14  
Queen of Wishful Thinking

S/C/G: 230/216/150

Height: 5'6

Mox, sorry to hear about the MRI results. I also have a torn ACL, though I'm not sure if it's a complete tear. I had surgery on my knee to fix a meniscus tear, and my doctor talked to me a little about the ACL tear, but he didn't recommend surgery or physical therapy - maybe because the injury was over 5 years old at that point. (The original doctor I saw following the injury told me there was nothing wrong with my knee.) I hope you're able to get full function back. Good job keeping the food good, and I'm sure you'll overcome the bum-ness.

This week is going pretty well for me so far - except for having a doughnut last night. The scale was down this morning, though - go figure. I'm sure it'll show up tomorrow or so.
2sw33t is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2005, 02:51 PM   #15  

Mox - sending you hugs and hoping for the best.

Evangeline - great news on finally finding a trainer who actually shows up. Hope you can both figure it into oyur respective schedules. I know my workouts are so much better with a trainer than on my own.

I am not sure what it is, as I made too many changes last week (preparing for 5K, new cardio program, started recording in Fitday again and saw my calories were too low (!), off diabetes medication) but I have broken through my "shingles" plateau from Dec and dropped 1.5 pounds. On;y 2 more pounds to get back to the pre-Shingles weight of 178 then I get to move back into "virgin" territory. Woo Woo!!

Mel, come train me in DC if you want humid, wet, stinky heat instead of the dry Arizona heat
ellenuw is offline   Reply With Quote