Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 01-06-2005, 10:11 AM   #1  

S/C/G: SW175/CW159/GW145

Default Question re dizziness

This morning when I worked out with the trainer (from 8-9)I got very dizzy, a few times, and I was wondering whether this has happened to any other LWL. I had a protein shake with banana and blueberries about a half hour before working out with her...we focused on lower body with alot of cardio thrown in inbetween. This happened once below, on an upper body day. Could it be that I didn't have enough to eat? If so, what was missing? I drank alot of water during the session, but I was sweating perfusely (sp?). Could it be because my body was shedding poundage? I remember in the past being aware that I had lost weight on a specific day because I felt a little shakey. What do you all eat before working out? I hate the stuffed feeling a full breakfast gives me, espec eaten right before working out.

I would appreciate any help you can give me.
artmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 12:07 PM   #2  
Warrior of Grace

I can only speak from personal experience. I need a small amount of solid food before my workout with some good protein. I wait about 15-20 minutes after I've eaten to let my food settle a little.

It's just my opinion, but it sounds to me like the workout may have been a little over the top. If I ever get shaky or dizzy I know I'm working just a little too hard. I don't know that over-doing it is the problem, but that would be my first suspicion.
Qadira is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 12:56 PM   #3  

Hi Susan- If you were "sweating profusely" than water is not going to cut it. The dizziness could be caused by a loss of electrolytes - maybe try drinking Gatorade or Propel, or some other "fitness water". Most importantly be sure that you tell your trainer IMMEDIATELY if this happens again. She should have some ideas and answers, and if she doesn't it may be time for a new trainer. Good luck -Ruby
therubyslippers!! is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 02:01 PM   #4  
Ilene the Bean

Hi Art

This dizziness happened to me once with a trainer also and I had been training for years before so it isn't like I wasn't used to working out. What I chalked it up to was firstly, because the trainer made me do a whole series of different exercises that I wasn't use to doing, using different muscle groups and muscle fibers that had never been used before. Secondly, because I was with a trainer I was working much harder maybe to impress her? She was also making me work hard because she knew I could handle it. Also with a trainer I find they only have a specific amount of time to show you so they move you along quickly to be able to incorportate a lot exercises in the alloted amount of time they have with you. I was dizzy and shaky all over after this workout. It soon passed though and I wasn't sorer the next day than I usually am after a good workout.

Foodwise I eat fairly close to a workout. I usually eat oatmeal and eggwhites this combination, for me, is the best pre-workout meal. It keeps me satisfied without feeling overly stuffed. I eat and get ready to go to the gym and by the time I get there a good half to 3/4 hours has passed enough, for me, to be digested but not long enough to be completely gone from my system, I stay at the gym for 1.5 hours usually, then when I get home I have another post-workout meal... Sometimes, again I have oatmeal and eggwhites, I know I'm boring , but it works ...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 02:40 PM   #5  

S/C/G: SW175/CW159/GW145

I did tell the trainer as soon as I started feeling light-headed, and she was very attentive...slowed me down until I recovered, made sure I kept drinking water, paced the activities a little more leisurely. She felt I hadn't eaten enough of a balanced breakfast...and Ilene, suggested next time I should have exactly what you have...oatmeal and egg whites. I think you are also right in that I am trying to please the trainer and working harder than I would normally, resting less than I need. Ruby...I also questioned the possibility of electrolytes...gatorade or something similar is a good suggestion. My system just seemed to get "off-kilter", since going into the session I was feeling great, then all of a sudden I wasn't, but as I indicated, I was sweating profusely, and was really red in the face.

Thanks for the suggestions.
artmaker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 05:07 AM   #6  

Hi artmaker,

Just a thought on your dizziness: It may be that because of a better lifestyle your bloodpressure has gone down a little. In my experience if that happens and you move rather quickly from a horizontal to a vertical position you get dizzy. Apparently it has to do with the blood taking a bit longer to reach the brain or something. So if this dizziness is associated with quick movements like when you get up from a sitting position, this could be it. I once asked my docter about it and she said that in that case I should move a bit more slowly untill my body had adjusted to the lower blood pressure.

bye,
rabbit
4rabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2005, 09:07 AM   #7  

Wow, rabbit. I never thought of that. Isn't it funny that rather than thinking "something is happening" (like the dizziness) we automatically think "something is wrong". Good insight!
ellenuw is offline   Reply With Quote