Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 10-21-2004, 09:46 AM   #1  

Default L-Glutamine?

Hi all. I am hoping some of you will have information about this.

Let me start by saying I somehow have an intrinsic dislike of taking any medication or supplement. Obviously, I do supplement vitamins, but otherwise it just makes me nervous, so my natural bias is NOT to take anything extra.

That said, my trainer highly recommends (that's putting it mildly) L-Glutamine supplementation. He swears it will help me build muscle and stop muscle loss.

I went on the 'net and read what I could find about it, but sort of feel I am getting a "biased toward" view from the fitness community. I would love to read something more balanced about this.

So, first, any ideas where one can get truly balanced views of nutritional supplements (if that is the category this fits into). And second, does anyone have information about this, take it, not take it, and why.

Thanks,

Dawna
Dawnajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 11:46 AM   #2  

Hi, Dawna,

I am biased on using supplements too. I personally only take multi-vitamins and iron supplement as I am extremely anemic. That's it. I have degree in natural sciences and I always think - if animals do not take supplements, why should we? I also sometimes feel aftertaste, bloating, constipation after adding new supplement to the diet. Anyways, I tried L-glutamine about 2 years ago. I did not help me build muscles (I was going to the gym 3 time s a week and I could not see muscles thru the fat than - after I've lost weight I could see muscles without adding L-glutamine). The other thing which I had taking it was constipation and rectal bleeding, so I stopped after about 1 week.

In whole if you will eat enough vegetables and fruits, it will contain all nesessary minerals and amino acids. If you are restricting your diet on veggies and fruits, as well as on proteins, probably taking L-glutamine makes sence. There is a book "Eat right 4 yopur type" and "Live right 4 your type" by D'Adamo which gives a good overview on supplements. In whole, my opinion, unless you are preparing for a competition whenre having bigger muscles will bring you to the reward, don't supplement something you are not sure about.
Sashenka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 12:26 PM   #3  
Uber-Moderator!!

I used to use L-Glutamine, up to a couple years ago. Nothing wrong with it, I just decided to simplify things a bit - right now I just take a multivitamin. For me, it assisted in muscle recovery and eased the 'day-after' soreness considerably.

Here's what SupplementWatch has to say about Glutamine (I didn't include the numerous references which were at the end of the article - if you want to see them, then go directly to the link: http://www.supplementwatch.com/supat...pplementId=150 )

Quote:
Description Glutamine is the most abundant amino acid in the body – comprising approximately half of the free amino acids in the blood and muscle. As a non-essential amino acid, glutamine can be produced in the body by conversion from another amino acid - glutamic acid (primarily by the skeletal muscle and liver. Glutamine’s main functions in the body include serving as a precursor in the synthesis of other amino acids and glucose for energy. Cells of the immune system, the small intestine and the kidney are the major consumers of glutamine.

Claims Boosts immune system function
Maintains muscle mass
Prevents muscle catabolism (breakdown)
Enhances glycogen storage
Aids recovery from exercise

Theory Intense exercise training results in a well-described drop in plasma glutamine levels. Chronically low glutamine levels have been implicated as a possible contributing factor in athletic overtraining syndrome as well as the transient immunosuppression and increased risk of infections that typically affects competitive athletes during intense training and competition. Under conditions of metabolic stress, the body’s need for glutamine may exceed its ability to produce adequate levels – meaning that a dietary source is required to prevent catabolism of skeletal muscle – the primary source of stored glutamine in the body.

Scientific Support A significant body of scientific literature exists to support the beneficial effects of glutamine supplementation in maintaining muscle mass and immune system function in critically ill patients and in those recovering from extensive burns and major surgery. When plasma glutamine levels fall, skeletal muscles may enter a state of catabolism in which muscle protein is degraded to provide free glutamine for the rest of the body. Since skeletal muscle is the major source of glutamine (other than the diet), prolonged deficits in plasma glutamine can lead to a significant loss of skeletal muscle protein and muscle mass. Very little specific work has been done, however, to address the primary target population for the majority of commercially produced glutamine supplements on the market today – competitive athletes

In recent years, at least a half-dozen studies have been conducted on glutamine supplementation in athletes and a strong basis exists for the efficacy of glutamine supplements in athletic populations. For example, glutamine’s role in immune system support has been shown to prevent infections following intense bouts of physical activity – which tend to reduce plasma glutamine levels. Glutamine supplements have also been shown to play a role in counteracting the catabolic (muscle-wasting) effects of stress hormones such as cortisol, which are typically elevated by strenuous exercise. The function of glutamine in stimulating glycogen synthase, the enzyme which controls the synthesis and storage of glycogen fuel storage in muscles and liver, may provide a mechanism by which glutamine supplements promote enhanced fuel stores. Glutamine supplements cause a rapid rise in cellular glutamine levels and glutamine stores in muscle. Glutamine is also thought to increase cell volume, where it may stimulate the activity of enzymes in the liver and muscles involved in glycogen storage as well as those involved in anabolic activities such as protein synthesis. Glutamine supplements have also been hypothesized to increase levels of growth hormone, which may be expected to help stimulate protein synthesis and encourage gains in muscle mass and strength, but reliable evidence for this effect of glutamine supplements has not been demonstrated by clinical studies.

Safety Glutamine supplements are well tolerated at levels up to at least 20 grams per day and intakes of as much as 40 grams per day should induce no significant adverse effects outside of mild gastrointestinal discomfort. As with any isolated amino acid supplement, consumption in divided 2-4 divided doses throughout the day should increase total body stores without posing significant absorption issues.

Value Glutamine supplements are relatively inexpensive compared to other amino acid supplements. For anybody exposed to heightened levels of stress, such as those recovering from injury, surgery, or intense exercise, glutamine supplements represent an economical way to promote tissue repair, reduce muscle catabolism and help prevent infections.

Dosage For the immune system support and anti-catabolic actions that are of interest to most athletes, recommended doses range from 1-10 grams.
If you decide to take it, I'd suggest going the cheap route and getting a powder version rather than the capsules. I used to buy Labrada Glutamine from Vitaglo and a tub would last FOREVER. The first time I used glutamine was in an EAS supplement called CytoVol - which is just glutamine powder with Tang mixed in, and a hefty price tag attached. After learning that the hard way, I just bought the much more economical Labrada brand, and mixed it with some Kool-Aid or juice (not a lot - just a 4 oz glass worth, enough to kick the glutamine into the cells).

This is actually probably a better question for the LWL forum IMO - I'm probably going to move this thread there, so you get some responses from those ladies. I don't think the Megster will mind...
MrsJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 01:18 PM   #4  
Mel

I use L-Glutamine regularly, especially after leg day. I find it reduces muscle soreness, but I doubt it has any "muscle building" effect. I've also read several studies indicating that it reduces respiratory distress after intense physical stress. Many endurance runners use it, because bronchitis is very common after running marathons. There have been several clinical studies done showing that it is effective at preventing or lessening the severity of bronchial problems.

When I had surgery in May, glutamine was one of the supplements that my surgeon suggested I take for 2 weeks prior to surgery and 2 weeks after.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 01:24 PM   #5  

Hey Guys,
I'll just throw out my own experience.
I have taken numerous supplements over the years that I have been training seriously and competing, including L-Glutamine. I personally beleive it can help prevent muscle atrophy during workout recovery and dieting, however like all things, it isn't a magic wand , nor an overnight cure, so to take it for awhile and say "it didn't work" would be like drinking milk for a few weeks and saying "my bones aren't any stronger" or eating carrots a few times and saying "My eyesight isn't any better."
If I took anything that gave me side effects like the ones mentioned above, I would stop using it. Having said that, all supplements and all people are very differant. Think about the fact that some people can't drink milk without getting ill. It doesn't make milk bad, it just means that person shouldn't have it.
I don't currently use a lot of supplements because well.... frankly my diet hasn't been 100% bang on in the recent past and because I know (as stated above) that there is no point if I am not going to be consistant for at least a few months (sans any bad side effects). It behooves you to be careful, though, and I think that is a good idea. I am fortunate to have access to a couple people who specialize in sports nutrition and specifically bodybuilding nutritional strategies so it's a short cut to "that's garbage" or "yes, this is safe and effective" or "it helps a little but. not worth the bother"
Absolutley, Excellent nutrition from whole foods is a must and certainly supplements can never replace good nutrition but ,in my lil' one persons opinion, smart supplementation can enhance a good diet and results from muscle gain and/or or weight loss efforts.
To each his/her own as it were. It is true that YMMV on anything you put in your mouth.

I don't consider my view "biased" since I am certainly not out to sell anyone supplements, but I am a competitor who has tried numerous differant supplements... some for months or years at a time.
Ok thats all I got FWIW
XOXO
L2L
luv2lift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 01:40 PM   #6  
Ilene the Bean

I've taken L-glutamine and it does help with the muscle soreness, but decided to stop because it's just another expense and I really don't mind the muscle soreness at all when I don't take it...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 01:58 PM   #7  
Uber-Moderator!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lanaii1
I've taken L-glutamine and it does help with the muscle soreness, but decided to stop because it's just another expense and I really don't mind the muscle soreness at all when I don't take it...
That pretty much sums it up for me too...also I'm (intentionally) not lifting as heavy as I was, say, a year or two ago - not because I was worried about 'becoming a manly woman' but because I just needed to change up a bit. So I brought the poundage down for the time being, although I'm sure in future I'll be bringing it back up again - at that time I might consider using glutamine as a supplement. Again, I don't see any harm in it - the studies and everything I've read haven't shown any ill effects, and quite a few studies have shown very, very GOOD effects, especially for athletes. And since it's an amino acid, I'd assume it shows up naturally in some foods anyway...yes?
MrsJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2004, 11:21 PM   #8  

Thank you all for your replies. I knew several of you were likely to have had first hand experience with this, as well as probably a better understanding of the language used in the studies. I have a medical background and work in lab/pathology and still find some of the studies very hard to follow!

I am interested in the pulmonary benefits. I had not read that, and as an asthmatic that is a bonus I am very interested in.

I am thinking, because of the muscle I lost from losing weight quickly (and therefore really needing to add muscle simply to get to baseline), and seeing no real negatives about this, I will add it to my regimen, along with my vitamin supplementation.

Thanks again for all your help!

Dawna
Dawnajoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 09:42 AM   #9  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Since I got my barbell set and am therefore lifting some heavier, I'm sorer too. And for longer. In fact I'm sore long enough that I've had to spread my workout days out further than I'd like. I guess I'm afraid I'll take two days off and it'll turn into two months. And the sorenenss is affecting my work.
I take ibuprophen but I'll have no stomach lining left if I do that every day for a while.
I found l-glutamine in a store last night and was a bit put off by the price.
I thought I'd run it past you folks. I suppost that I could lift lighter and more reps but I kinda like how quickly a workout does some good if I struggle a bit.
srmb60 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 12:17 PM   #10  
Mel

Susan- I'd go for the heavier workout. What type of split are you doing? Do you do a full body workout or are you giving muscle groups more than 2 days to recover? If you are lifting to failure, you really need more than 2 days for recovery.

How much was the glutamine? The capsules are the most expensive. I get it on the net in a big tub that lasts forever, but I'm not sure of availability in Canada. Ilene would know.

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2004, 12:54 PM   #11  

It was a small jar, maybe not quite two cups of powder for $22. I figured I could put the recommended tsp in my shake. I have been doing a three day split and if I felt like it just a walk or cardio day inbetween. But I'm finding I need two days and then sometimes still wish I could skip a day.
I did legs on Tuesday so I'll be fine for back and biceps today but then it's gonna take time til I can do chest and triceps again.
Old 11-04-2004, 01:15 PM   #12  
Ilene the Bean

Susan B -- I use the cheapest L-glutamine I can get at GNC... I know it's not the cheapest place but it's the easiest... I have never ordered on line from any supplement company, so I can't help you there... A jar lasts me several months so for about 22$ it's less than 40 cents/day really not that bad, and I don't take it every single day, although I will start in the winter season because it is suppose to help with colds too I've heard...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2004, 05:16 PM   #13  

I've been doing a little research and came up with B vitamins and calcium, which are supposed to help too. I have them here at home so I think I'll try upping the dose a little to see if that makes a difference.
And maybe I went a little to gung ho with increasing weight. I'll use a bit more discretion this week
Thanks everyone for your in-put.