Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Closed Thread

Old 09-27-2004, 05:29 AM   #1  
Meg

Default LWL #172 - Week of Sept. 27 - Oct. 3

Good morning, LWL! (may I offer you a Milk Bone with your coffee, Mel? )

I stayed up all Saturday night watching the hurricane coverage on the Weather Channel and worrying about DS in Orlando. Come to find out the boy slept through most of the hurricane and thankfully still has power. So .... off to do cardio this morning and plan my menu for the day. My jar of peanut butter is going in the trash this morning -- I've been kidding myself with the "oh, but it's a GOOD fat" argument a little too much lately.

How's everyone doing? Any plans for the week?
Old 09-27-2004, 07:56 AM   #2  

S/C/G: 165/147/128

Height: 5'3"

Good Morning does anyone else feel like I work nights all the time?
I probably would have eaten that milk bone a couple of hours ago! But now I'm home where the good food is.
I agree about the peanut butter. Almost 800 calories worth in the last three days! Those fats aren't that good.
I did a little ab work on the obstetrical ball last night Just showing the other girls how, doncha know.
Since I decided to up my cardio, I guess it's elliptical machine day ... after I sleep. I'll do something about the fat ... after I sleep.
Old 09-27-2004, 09:15 AM   #3  

Yeah, been thinking about my diet too - I've been a bit naughty with the protein/calcium/iron element! Whoops! And could certainly also do with a few more carbs from grains (grainy bread) as all my carbs come from fruit and veg.

I was meant to have a big cardio session today, but life got in the way so I did a small one instead at home! Broke my mini tramp and now I'm sad at least I've still got an elliptical machine but I am pretty sucky on that (though I was always using it the night after a heafty arms/legs workout ouch) ... now that summer's on its way, I can also take up walking and swimming in the pool in our complex. Sweet.

I GET TO LIFT WEIGHTS TOMORROW YIPPEEE!!!!!
Old 09-27-2004, 10:38 AM   #4  

Thumbs up Morning Monday

Doctor's appointment was not motivating, scale put me 10 pounds over my weight at home. I know I was dressed but 10 pounds worth. My BP is down, how low can I go?? Since I was getting up there, I am glad to see the exercise is definately paying off and that is motivating.

NELIE - Sounds like you are doing some serious planning ahead for success with the chili cooking. PS, forgetting calves is probably the best thing to forget and remember, you can do those one legged lifts at the office for a break.

My allergies are abated and on hold or gone, I hope, so I got to the gym and I did UBWO today, nice soreness in the muscle though I need to work on my form more for my back workout, I can control the front muscles, and all the arm stuff but the shoulders and back need some form work. I am going to get DH to go to the gym with me and we can work on it together.

I also vote for leg day as my favorite, though my upper body is definately showing some improvement.

Big Happy Robin, hope you had a great day and have a great year.

LANAII - I know what you mean about Thai food and sugar, DH was up for chinese though on Saturday and I didn't resist. I really need to be in my groove foodwise, when I am really strong and way happy.

MEL - Picturing the poodle trim and all, glad it was at your house and not mine, we have enough excitment with the Australian Shepard in the tub. I did find a place where you can take your dog and use their sink and tub setup, that sounds promising to me, but DH is such a homebody. Was it a Scooby snack??

MEG - I have a jar of unopened Almond butter in the cupboard, and I feel like once it is open, it will become my slippery slope, so I think I will just leave it there for now. Thanks for the reminder.

Glad to say this week is calmer, only one evening of work for me, tonight, and then tomorrow curriculum night at DD's class, otherwise, all gym days in my future and really good food plan. I will end on Friday with a great dilemma, either apple picking with DD's class if my background check comes back in time, or a facial. (plus DD starts spelling homework this week, I am hopeful I can learn from her.)

I have planned for success.
Old 09-27-2004, 02:41 PM   #5  

Meg - glad to see that I'm not the only one who throws perfectly good food away before I can eat it all! (Of course, then I hear my grandmother rolling over in her grave 3000 miles away!) I actually went through our house and gathered up two bags of unopened shelf-stable foods that I'm taking to the local Food Bank tomorrow.

Liza - hope your allergies continue to get better!

Robin - happy belated birthday!

Today after work I'm doing a fitness assessment that's offered through work. So I'm prepared to be told I'm fat and need to eat less and exercise more. Thanks, I knew that! This week is crazy at work, so workout times may be moving all over the place. But I have my new dumbbell set, so I'm raring to go.
Old 09-27-2004, 03:54 PM   #6  

Hi all! I figured there was no better way to start off the next year of my life than with a challenging lifting session, so I trotted over to the gym at lunchtime to see how a lLBWO might feel at my advanced age. As I trotted, I reviewed last week's threads on lifting to failure and said to myself, "So, self, let's see what you can really do." Well, the good news is that I discovered I can lift much more than I'd given myself credit for. I have no idea how I'll feel by dinnertime, but it sure felt good while I was doing it, and I made some significant gains.

Thanks for all the Happy B-Day wishes. It really was a lovely day, and I capped it off last night by finding a wonderful art deco-style pin of an Airedale made by a French jewelry artist on Ebay. (Good grief ... is there anything that *isn't* on Ebay?) It was my birthday present to me. Very French ... lots of panache.

Mel, now that you've whipped that poodle into shape, how 'bout coming to my house and doing the 'dales. Both need clipping the worst way, and I'm sure they'd share their favorite dried liver biscotti with you. They never met a carb they didn't like.

Greetings to everyone else ... hope your week is shaping up well.

Hugs,
Old 09-27-2004, 07:45 PM   #7  

Good evening all! I didn't sleep very well today so I have a short attention span I did what I call household circuits. I lifted for a few minutes ... hung out laundry ... did some pull ups and twisty things (very poorly I might add) ... used the elliptical ... did abs on the ball and on the floor and finished with a few minutes of aerobics. About 30 minutes in all. Pathetic, I know.
When I got out of bed, the scale said 122 lbs. Isn't that a pretty dream? (read here halucination undoubtedly cause by dehydration)
I'd really rather puke than eat however that will change at about 12:30. Should pack something to ward off the peanut butter blues.
See you all in the morning.
Old 09-27-2004, 08:00 PM   #8  
Lady Farrier!

Hi ladies,

Funny, I was sitting down to post while eating some organic peanut butter, and I was about to type, man, this stuff is heaven! And low and behold, like it was meant to be, there were the peanut butter posts. I am guilty too

Today was my first day on my new workout plan, back and biceps today. I finally met with a trainer a couple times since I'd been doing the same exercies for way too long. I worked HARD, harder than in a long time, and I've been starving all day ever since!! Can't wait to hit it again tomorrow.
Ciao for now!
Tammy
Old 09-28-2004, 08:36 AM   #9  

Morning! No peanut butter last night!
It's leg day ... yahoo! But I'm gonna sleep first.
I like squats and lunge walking. Single leg calf raises hurt me! What about you, all of you, what's your favourite leg exercise?
Old 09-28-2004, 10:23 AM   #10  

Default Drippy Tuesday

We have the leftovers of Jeanne storming past us today, of course, nothing like the damage down south.

SUSANB - Today was leg day for me, my favorite, the stiff legged ones. Or the presses, hard to say. I am just starting out on the presses, getting to weights that will work, right now I am just pressing the machine and bar. But I know I am going to make progress. Already with my new card system at the gym, I am tracking some serious improvements and upping the numbers.

My arms, bi and tris are achy today, so I am doing something right. Tuesdays at my gym are funny, it is really empty, also on Thursdays. I am beginning to really like the Tuesdays though, no crowds though at 5:30 am not too many people on a good day.

Off to schedule some appointments.
Old 09-28-2004, 04:40 PM   #11  

Hi all.

Today was something of a surprise -- I was pretty sure I was going to be fairly sore after increasing the weights substantially yesterday, but while I was dead tired last night, I'm not especially achy today. My back was sore last night, but even it's OK today. So, next time I'll see if I can increase 'em again. This is fun.

Unlike most of you, I don't like leg day one bit. It may be because my hips usually ache, and I find the exercises really hard to do. And it may also be that I absolutely love chest, back and arm exercises. I don't know if there's anything that feels as good as chest presses and flies -- opening up the chest and rib cage always feel wonderful to me.

Tomorrow night's yoga class (oh boy oh boy) then just a day to go to get-away day and our long weekend in the Brandywine. I hope we'll get a lot of walking in.

And on that happy note, ta ta for now.
Old 09-28-2004, 06:52 PM   #12  
Mel

Robin- bring SCUBA gear. The Brandywine just burst it's banks and the whole area is under water. I'm just glad it's not snow!

Mel
Old 09-28-2004, 07:28 PM   #13  

Hey Robin? Nothing feels like a lat pull-down. Strong, shapely! Awesome!
When I got up this afternoon my left knee hurt. So today, I'm a light-weight
Old 09-28-2004, 09:48 PM   #14  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Hey all,

Yesterday I had a cardio breakthrough, I reached the point on the elliptical that felt like I could go forever, I haven't been at that point in many years, but I did 25 minutes total after I had done my weight lifting working.

Tonight, I took the Cardio Kickboxing class at my gym (2nd time I have gone) and I did jumping jacks, not just 1 or 2 but a lot of them. I was kind of amazed because I have always had trouble with those especially at my weight. I was sweating like crazy and having tons of fun.

Happy Belated Birthday Robin! I was kind of lax on posting that earlier, how does it feel to be 29 again? I turned 29 this year and I think I may just stay here. People tell me all the time I look quite a bit younger, so I could pull it off for a while

I had another person at work tell me today I look like I've lost quite a bit of weight, always good to hear. Hopefully my recent cardio additions will help me get there even faster

I hope everyone is doing well, keep lifting those weights girls! (and guys!)
Old 09-28-2004, 09:56 PM   #15  

Susan, interesting that you should mention lat pull downs -- I did a couple of sets of them yesterday, too, and if anything hurt, it was my back. But today's fine. Yep, I like 'em plenty. I think I like bicep work the least; couldn't say why. And I treat my shoulders like glass cuz they've been injured so many times.

Scuba gear, Mel? Wouldn't you know it -- we wait for years to visit the area, and manage to hit it at its soggy best. Guess we'll just have to find refuge in beautiful homes, great restaurants and maybe the occasional retail outlet And of course, there's the Airedale show on Saturday! (Geez ... I just thought of this: I hope it's an indoor venue ) Oh, I forgot to tell you yesterday ... we're staying in Wilmington -- everything looks to be very close. The dog show's in Montgomery County.

It's getting past my bedtime. Nighty night all.
Closed Thread