Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 07-26-2004, 08:00 PM   #1  

Question Can I follow weight watchers and build muscle?

I'm new to the idea of strength training. I have a Weider Platinum Crossbar and I have been following the exercise plan for the bowflex. I am, however, doing weight watchers. Is it possible for me to lose the fat and build muscle using this combination along with Walk Away the Pounds?

I am open to constructive and honest criticism, because I am totally lost.

Thank you,

Deborah
Deborah1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 08:44 PM   #2  
Super Student Nurse

I asked this question a year or so ago (under the nick mellywelly) and the answer was no, because WW doesn't really allow as much protein that you need to do serious muscle building. I think Mrs. Jim can answer this better and will probably be dropping in any time on this one
nurse2bmelanie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 08:52 PM   #3  
Meg

Hi Deborah and welcome to LWL! Don't feel lost -- just ask away and someone will be glad to help, I'm sure.

I'll take a stab at your WW question since I did WW for many years and am fairly familiar with the program. I think you can combine WW and weight training IF 1. you make sure to use enough points for protein AND 2. if you avoid using your points on processed diet "junk food".

See, WW is basically a shorthand method for counting calories, right? Each point is worth roughly 50 calories, tweaked up or down a little for fat and fiber content. So if you use your calories (points) wisely, you should do just fine. Maybe you've seen bodybuilder type diets that are expressed in ratios? Like 40/40/20? What that means is that 40% of the calories come from protein, another 40% from carbs, and 20% from fat. You could divide up your points in a similar way -- spend 40% (or whatever percent you pick) of your daily points on protein, 40% on carbs, and 20% on fats. My opinion is to keep your protein points above 30% of your daily total.

You may have heard the phrase "eating clean" -- it means eating a diet composed of lean proteins, complex carbs and good fats. The reason that protein is emphasized by bodybuilders is that it's essential for building and repairing muscles. That's why we eat much more protein than the food pyramid or some diets might recommend. Carbs are important too, but the good kind of carbs -- low-glycemic, complex carbs like oatmeal, brown rice, sweet potatoes, veggies, low sugar fruits etc. Good fats are oils like olive, peanut, sunflower etc. In addition, eating clean means avoiding sugar in all forms and eating foods that are as minimally processed as possible (the way it comes from the ground or is grown on trees). So you can see that you can fit this style of clean eating into WW points with a little thought.

I actually was following WW when I joined a gym and started lifting weights three years ago. Unfortunately, I was doing WW the wrong way for muscle building -- I was spending my points on way too many carbs and too little protein. And I was eating all sorts of processed diet junk food, like WOW chips and FF hot dogs and Skinny Cow ice cream sandwiches instead of nutrient dense foods. After about two weeks of trying to combine lifting and WW, I gave up on the points and just starting tracking my calories and protein/carb/fat ratios in Fitday (www.fitday.com) which I still do today.

But I think it's possible to combine the two if you focus on getting really high quality nutrition and lots of protein for your points. I sure hope your meetings are better than mine were -- unfortunately, mine were devoted to discussing how much junk food coiuld be squeeeeeezed out of a day's points.

One more thought -- you might find that you need to eat more than your alloted points/activity points. WW doesn't emphasize exercise to any great degree and isn't really designed to sustain intense weightlifting and cardio. If you find yourself starving or not losing, you may need to eat a few more calories (points) than they recommend.

Hope that helps a bit! Please come over and join us on our main weekly thread if you'd like and tell us some more about yourself.
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 08:59 PM   #4  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Since you can tailor the WW program any way you want, you can increase the protein if you choose. I am a Weight Watcher and also strength train. I'm not looking to compete in body building, however, but want a toned (51 year old) body with muscle definition. I weigh 187 and wear a size 12, which I attribute to the strength training. I do cardio every day and lift weights two or three days a week.

So if what you're after is a toned body, then it's my opinion that you can do WW, lose fat and develop muscle as long as you're eating the right kind of foods. So many people do WW and eat junk points, filling up on simple carbs instead of using points wisely.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 09:01 PM   #5  

S/C/G: 261/158/below 160

Height: 5'8" (Dang, I shrank an inch!)

Looks like we were replying at the same time, Meg. I think we said basically the same thing, but you said it so much more eloquently

I love my meetings, BTW. Frankly, I think that having a good leader and finding a good group is almost as important as following the program.
Sheila53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2004, 09:05 PM   #6  
Meg

Hey Sheila! Let's hear it for toned 51 year old bodies! (I'm almost there ) And size 12s at 187 pounds! Woo hoo -- gotta love that muscle!
Meg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 09:08 AM   #7  

Thank you for your input and the information. I feel as though I have so much to learn and I'm so afraid of 'messing up'. I need to lose about 75 lbs and I want to make sure that it's not muscle that I'm losing. I'm 40 years old and watched my grandmother suffer w/osteoperosis before she died so I really want to keep my bones and muscles strong.

I guess what I'm most afraid of is, even though I'm working out w/weights and cardio, that I'm just spinning my wheels and not accomplishing anything...no weightloss and no muscle building.

I've actually gained a pound over the past week and I have been completely op w/WW. I've been working out for 2 weeks. When do you notice weight gain due to adding muscle?

Thanks again. I'm really 'hungry' for information on this topic and appreciate any input that I can get!

Deborah
Deborah1963 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 12:14 PM   #8  
Uber-Moderator!!

What Meg said.

Obviously if you're gonna do WW and lift weights...I would say don't eat most of the foods they show on their TV commercials as 'okay' - marshmallows, pizza, birthday cake, etc. (of course, they want to make their diet as appealing to the Average Joe as possible, so they're not going to show WWers eating salad and chicken breast )
MrsJim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2004, 11:57 PM   #9  
Ilene the Bean

Deborah -- Don't worry about "messing up" as you say... Just enjoy the process of learning this new skill. Weight training takes alot of practice. For a while don't worry about the scale so much but measure yourself and see the inches go instead... Concentrate on your nutrition and exercise...

I did WW and weight training 17 or so years ago and it did work very well... a few years ago I tried WW again with very little success, for a full year... then I discovered this site and specially this LWL forum... My progress has been going much better than when I was with WW... I found the meetings at WW got stale eventhough I was changing times to get different leaders...

WW is a great starting point and I learned a LOT from them specially the portion sizes etc... I much preferred the older version of having 8 proteins/day with 4oz for lunch and 4oz for supper, rather than the points because like Karen and Meg said I spent more time looking for junky points than healthy ones, just so I could say I ate X with so many points...

Just my 2 cents ... TTFN...
Ilene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2004, 11:48 AM   #10  
cookies are for browsers

Hey all,

Sheila - I had to post - I'm about the same weight and wearing a size 12! It amazes me but wow, muscle really does weigh more than I thought it did. I'm about 30 pounds heavier than the last time I was wearing the same size. (but I look a lot better now)

Deborah, I spent many many years (and over $800) trying to get WW to work for me. Every WW meeting I ever went to was trying to foist their frozen food on me or telling me how I could get more snackwell crackers or other processed goody into my day. This is just my opinion and what worked for me - now that I've finished a year of body for life, I look at the WW exercise materials and I wouldn't even count it as exercise - it would be fun and definitely wouldn't hurt, but it would NOT count toward my weekly goals. That's just my opinion, tho, I know now that I need more exercise than a lot of other people do to maintain my weight loss.

When I started BFL I found my WW habits for portion sizes were quite helpful, but the points system - well, what Meg said. I concur. You know what healthy food is and you know what junk is. It is harder to say no to the processed and fast/easy foods available, but when you are pushing your body like you do lifting weights, you need high quality fuel.

Good luck!!!!

Jennifa
jennifa is offline   Reply With Quote