Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Closed Thread

Old 11-10-2003, 07:25 AM   #1  
Mel

Default LWL # 128 -- Nov. 10-16

Wohoo! I get to start the thread

Finally back after my whirlwind trip to meet Meg in Pittsburgh, then on to Columbus to visit my dd. Both visits were way too short!

Meg and I had a wonderful time together, when she's already described. I just wanted to add that the sushi tuna shake she sent me off with was delicious

I ate faily cleanly until yesterday when I nibbled trail mix and coffee for 7 hours while driving to stay awake. Ugh- I paid for it with little sleep and a stomach ache. Didn't set foot in a gym at all, but Saturday we did a lot of walking both before and after the VERY long, cold football game. Dip, you are right, it's quite an experience. Especially being in the "student" section". About 105,500 people in the arena, most of them already warmed up with beer and whatever by noon.

Meeting Meg was just as she decribed it- we talked like old friends, not people who had just met. And she's much tinier than me, and looks younger.

Got to go, just wanted to check in.

mel
Old 11-10-2003, 11:22 AM   #2  

Happy Monday!

Not much going on other than the usual all fired up Monday go getums. Big burn cardio is out of the way, and I'm ready for meal 2. Just wanted to stop by and say HI! and have a Great Day!

dip
Old 11-10-2003, 11:40 AM   #3  
Ilene the Bean

Hello,

Just poppin' in too... Working all day suck! Back later!
Old 11-10-2003, 02:44 PM   #4  
Meg

Welcome back Mel and happy new week, everyone! I’m sitting here typing because my legs don’t work (how do you think DH will react to “sorry sweetheart, but no dinner tonight and the house is a mess because I did legs today”?) Hey Ilene, got a new one for you — squats while balancing on half a ball. The new gym toy is a ball that looks like a resist-a-ball that’s been cut in half. I stood on the flat surface and tried to do squats (while praying that I wouldn't fall on my face or butt). My legs shook uncontrollably — there are all sorts of little stabilizing muscles you need that obviously I haven’t used for awhile. Then for squat funsies, the trainer set the bars on one of the squat cages really low and I had to touch the squat bar to the cage bars at the bottom of each rep. And then two kinds of lunges, dropsets on leg press, extensions and curls, etc. Dysfunctional legs. Love 'em.

Our Sunday paper yesterday had an article about super sizing the world for large people: http://www.post-gazette.com/lifestyl...dies1109p3.asp It’s an interesting article and I’m conflicted about the issue, but the reason I bring it up is this line:
Quote:
"Once your [body mass index] is over 40, your stomach is stretched to the size of your head," Friday said. A normal stomach is about the size of the fist. "What's critical for people to understand is that once you're over [a BMI of] 40, every diet will fail. And it will have nothing to do with willpower."
He flat out says that you can’t lose the weight with diet and exercise if your BMI is over 40 and goes on to tout weight loss surgery as the only effective treatment for obesity. That really jumped out at me since at my high weight of 257 at 5’4”, my BMI was 44 and Karen’s was even higher at her high weight.

Well, guess what, Dr. Friday? We’ve lost the weight and are keeping it off and so are a lot of other successful losers here at 3FC. That really got me steamed — he’s TELLING people that it’s impossible for them to lose the weight. How many people will read that and believe that it’s useless to even try? I’m writing letters to both him and the paper, but it’s getting tougher and tougher to get people to listen with “experts” making those kinds of irresponsible statements. Weight loss surgery is just snowballing in popularity — I think the rates are doubling every year. One of our local hospitals just opened a big center for bariatric (weight loss) surgery — not a center for weight loss that includes other methods like diet and exercise, but just surgery. I was sorely tempted to crash their gala opening night reception. Don't get me wrong -- some people need WLS -- but I believe that most of us can permanently lose the fat without surgery.

Rant over -- hi all — don’t have time for more now but I have to add that Mel’s full of baloney.

Meg
Old 11-10-2003, 04:05 PM   #5  

Baloney? Did I hear baloney? I think I'm full of it, too. At least I'm full of something; maybe just old-fashioned angst.

I've had the most frustrating couple of weeks. To begin with, I *think* I was sick -- either ailing, or having the most hellacious arthritis/fibromyalgia flare I've ever had. Lasted for days and days. Not only did my aches and pains become Aches and Pains, whatever I had did a number on my head. And now that I'm feeling better, my head is still not screwed back on right.

I hate it when it gets like this. Having trouble eating clean. Not doing much exercise. Feeling out of sorts and out of control.

But I must tell you all -- although I haven't posted, I've been reading WHL religiously, trying to keep my consciousness here, if nothing else. Thank you all for sharing your lives. It has made a huge difference in mine. I may not have had the energy or the gumption to post, but I absorbed everything you all had to say.

I'm wearing a new suit that I particuarly like today. I would like to be wearing it after the holidays as well. So I think I'll take this one day at a time. I know what to do; I just need to do it. To begin with, I'm going to fill out my log for today, which will be the first time I've done so in more than two weeks. And I will have a clean dinner tonight. And so it begins again.

Best wishes to you all.
Old 11-10-2003, 04:43 PM   #6  
Mel

Default Must be the weather!

Oh, Robin! So sorry to hear about your flare-up. I had one that started about a week and a half ago, and lasted for about a week. It was the first in so long that I'd forgotten how miserable it can be. I FORCED myself to do light full body workouts and moderate cardio, because I knew if I stopped exercising, food would go right out the window with it, and that just makes it worse. Today was my first "regular" weight session and I'm feeling much more tired than usual.

I hope you're feeling better

mel
Old 11-10-2003, 04:43 PM   #7  
JEC
Aussie and proud

Hey guys,

From the other thread - Anita - The power of now is a spiritual book about focusing on the present and not the future or the past. It's also about learning to recognise and surrender to your inner self and recognising the difference between who you are and what your life situation is. From that you can draw inner peace and truely enjoy this moment for what it is.

It's sound airey fairy and kinda is but the mental game was getting on top of me and this is helping me block out the mental chatter so that I can focus on the inside. It's a very enlightening book.

JC
Old 11-10-2003, 08:05 PM   #8  
Searching

Talking Good Evening from Nebraska

JEC-That's almost exactly what I have been trying to tell people. Ever since I gave up the BS of the diet/binge cycle, since I surrendered I feel so much better. Its actually coming together.

Mel and Robin- Sorry to hear about your flare ups. I cannot imagine your pain. I hate pain, and I tend to ignore it when its probably telling me something.

Meg- I couldn't believe that article. So are they going to make special airplanes to carry PLUS size passengers. I already knew they fiddled with the sizes. BUT THIS IS RIDICULOUS. When is the wake-up call? I remember when I was 265, I walked around clueless. It took me a new job and a physical to have the shock of it. And you know I have a **** of a time getting my bottoms below an 18/20 when I weigh 200 lbs, but at 265 I wore a 24, hmmm something seems wrong with that picture.

Lanaii and Dip- HAPPY DAY! And yes working all day SUCKS!

I had a pretty good day, besides trying to amuse myself at work for 9 hours. Day 15, no sugar, and I actually watched someone eat a candybar. I was a little jealous that they could eat it, but truth be told I wasn't really interested. I like cooking for myself all the time it feels like I am treating me!

WO was good. I actually felt the burn and was about able to get up to where I was with my legs. WISH ME LUCK AT PHYSICAL THERAPY TOMMOROW! I want a straight arm and the ability to lift weight for my UB soon!. (Can your boobs start to sag in 3 weeks? )

Chris
Old 11-10-2003, 08:34 PM   #9  

IN Robin and Mel, Sorry to hear about your flare-ups. I have a friend who has it also, AND has also been miserable the past 2 weeks or so. I don't know that much about it, but does the change in weather, or colder dampness have anything to do with it? So sorry for your pain. I can't imagine what you all go through - it has to be pure ****.

I just came from the grocery store, and sure enough, the old tum started gurgling again. DH was with me, and I told him we had to check out and fast. Of course he was totally confused because I hadn't shared this IBS thing with him. In fact, I didn't even think about it until the tum started churning. I got home and it's still churning, so I suspect an 'attack' will happen any minute. Geez. He did laugh at me as we walked swiftly by the bakery section and I gave the ol' LWL salute.

Ate very clean, low-carb, low-fat today, did super cardio and UBWO with abs. Back on track and feeling great about it. Hope to have a recent pic up by tomorrow evening.

JC - glad to see you post.

Meg - I gleaned that article, and I agree that Dr. Friday sounds like he's found his pot of gold in WLS surgery. Back in the 70's, I worked for the only GP turned bariatric dr. in Chicago who did Optifast. People came from all over, driving hundreds of miles every week to be starved into weight loss. There were some remarkable cases, and I was wondering just the other day how many of those people kept if off. The dr.'s wife who shared the practice with him was a nutritionist who re-taught the protein-sparing patients how to eat again. They had a nice little gold mine too.

Good evening to all, and hope you had a good day too.

Edited for - Hey Chris, I must have been writing while you were posting. Sounds like you've kicked the sugar, chickie, and a big GOOD FOR YOU. You will feel so much better, and stuff won't taste as good as you thought it would if you do take a taste now and then. Good luck with your PT tomorrow, and get that arm back into shape soon.

dip

Last edited by diphthong; 11-10-2003 at 08:40 PM.
Old 11-10-2003, 09:05 PM   #10  
Lovin' Zumba!

Well I did it - got up and did my LBWO today before work. I'm pretty proud of myself for saying I'd do it, and then actually following through and doing it - I'm just not a morning person. I was dragging by noon today, but I know it will get better. Tomorrow I'll have the fun of showering and getting totally ready at the gym, which I'm not too fond of, but it's got to be done!
Cindy
Old 11-11-2003, 08:01 AM   #11  

Happy Tuesday Ladies! Look at the new smilies they've added! What Fun!

First of all, Thank A Vet. And if you are one, or currently serving, Thank You! for your sacrifice and the job you do. Also, thank you to the families of our military for their sacrifices.

We overslept by an hour this morning, so I'm running behind and need to get my cardio out of the way. Sore this morning for sure, and was last night trying to fall asleep, but once I did I was a goner.

Hope you all have a safe and healthy day! Check back later!

dip
Old 11-11-2003, 08:47 AM   #12  
Ilene the Bean

O-M-G ILENE LUVS NEW SMILLIES Sooo much to choose from sooo little time...

*~ Meg ~* I had a terrific w/o... I tried this doodad at the gym that reminds me of that half ball you were talking about it’s called a Reebok Core Trainer, I think... Well I did some squats on it me thinks me gonna be some sore tomorrow!! I did a whole lotta legs today...
1. – 6 sets -- Leg presses
2. – 4 sets -- Leg extensions
3. – 4 sets -- Leg curls
4. – 4 sets -- Squats à la Meg
5. – 4 sets -- Wall sits
6. --4 sets -- One legged squats or back lunges (one leg at the back on a bench sort of thingy) –
I think I’m gonna be sore tomorrow!!

Meg, we are 8.6 hours away from each other if I should ever go south...
And Cindy we are 4 hours away from each other....

No big plans today except I’m going to get my Mom and we’re going shopping today...

Later all...
Old 11-11-2003, 08:50 AM   #13  
Ilene the Bean

Hi Dip Girl!! Missed your post there!!
Old 11-11-2003, 12:01 PM   #14  
cookies are for browsers

Hey all!

Sorry I've been missing for a while, I'm still on plan, plugging away, losing at a healthy rate and just really busy at work.

I had a couple of thoughts about the article:

I'm six feet tall and am always hitting my head on things like airplane ceilings, cabinets, and car roofs. I truly hope they DO make cars and airplanes bigger - I am tired of hitting my head and having bruised kneecaps every time I fly.

Also, Dr. Friday is a psychologist so I don't know if he's making direct cash from surgery. Why a psychologist is quoted about surgery I don't know.

I have some issues with the other doctor - the ethics one - I mean, if we all WANT to be super sized then why are we spending billions on weight loss plans every year? I must have missed my "subtle clue" that I'm too tall for this country and I should have stopped at, say, 5'4" so I could be comfortable with car and airplane sizes.... I mean really, don't people have a right to be safe no matter what size they are? Some of the article was about how to accomodate fat but the height issue is in there, too, and no matter how much weight I lose I'm still going to be tall. So for what it's worth, there's a tall girl's perspective.

Hope you all are doing great!!!!

Last edited by jennifa; 11-11-2003 at 12:10 PM.
Old 11-11-2003, 12:20 PM   #15  

>>"Also, Dr. Friday is a psychologist so I don't know if he's making direct cash from surgery. Why a psychologist is quoted about surgery I don't know."<<

The article states that Dr. Friday counsels baraitric surgery patients. From my understanding, that is one of the pre-qualifiers for a WLS candidate. He is more than likely attached to a bariatric LLC or partnership, beside his seat at UPMC Shadyside.

Jennifa, I understand what you are saying about tall and large-boned people. My son is one of them and I know what he goes through, poor guy. His dad is large too. When DS started his growing spurt, I used to tease him that it was from eating cereals fortified purposely for the past 30 years to create a civilization of Amazons and Giants (conspiracy theory joke.) But if you look around, it seems there are defiitely more large young adults than ever before. I agree it's time to do something about those minimized seats on planes. Not necessarily for the obese, but for just the larger population and us folks who need to stretch out our legs to avoid blood clots. Glad to hear you are still OP and doing good!

Hi Ilene! Have fun with Mom and shopping today!

dip, former 39
Closed Thread