Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Closed Thread

Old 10-06-2003, 09:52 AM   #1  
Uber-Moderator!!

Thumbs down LWL #123 - week of 6 Oct 2003

Well, since no one else has started up a thread (other than the Menu Thread that Meg started today and which I think is a pretty cool idea...) I figured I would...

I'll be in Dreamweaver class today and tomorrow but will pop in as much as possible

Here's to a great week for all of us!
Old 10-06-2003, 03:28 PM   #2  
Uber-Moderator!!

Lunch break - yippee!!!

I guess we're *all* busy today?!?

Just have to share this with y'all - our backyard has been TAKEN OVER by a black-and-white kitty - dunno if it's the same B&W kitty that's been here before or a different one (not as friendly as the other one was...Jim thinks this one is a stray). Anyway, he has picked OUR BACKYARD as his Happy Hunting Ground - we have LOTS of birds (and a squirrel or two!) hanging around.

Late yesterday afternoon, Mr. B&W came waltzing through the patio, and Chalupa Boy saw him and got all excited...he jumped onto the top of the entertainment hutch (which is right next to the window) and started chattering. We didn't see the outside cat, so we figured he'd gone to the other side of the house. A few minutes later, there was a HUGE ruckus out by the feeder and the birds flew away in a burst of feathers - except for the one that Mr. B&W had in his mouth! Needless to say, both of our indoor kitties were quite excited!

(actually this was the FIRST time that I had ever seen a cat catch a bird...except on TV of course...)

pretty exciting stuff for an indoor cat to witness - ya think?
Old 10-06-2003, 04:47 PM   #3  

heya

Im on plan again after a free day yesterday

I need to get the intensity of my workouts up more, so thats something to work on.

I am meeting my trainer tomorrow for flexibility testing so I hope my stiffness from leg day is gone by tomorrow hehe

Hope everyone is having a good monday!

Tidey
Old 10-06-2003, 08:04 PM   #4  
Crazy Candian in Aus

Default Naughty cats!

That is a funny kitty story Mrs Jim! ha ha ha

Our cats are indoor/outdoor critters and I have had a mouse brought to me as a pressie once from our shy guy. He was so proud but I was disgusted!

Good day so far... but I need to get back to work.

Last week had some fantastic posts.... I am out of the loop when it comes to Dr Phil. I left Canada before he was popular on Oprah and was not much of an follower of hers, the show was on in the late afternoon and I was a habitual late worker who lived 4 blocks from the office I agree with JC, bloody Australia, you would think we lived at the other end of the planet!! We are late with the movies, most books never reach it here and when they do they cost a small fortune! Ok... I never have to shovel snow or invest in a good set of snow tires, so I will quit my whinging now! ha ha ha I will check out his website, it sounds interesting.

Have a great day girls!
Old 10-06-2003, 08:50 PM   #5  

Phew, just got back from my first run in almost 3 weeks. My first 5K is coming up in two weeks (but did not realize the date had been moved up - it was supposed to be at the end of the month - that was enough to get me back on the trails!).

Eating was not superb today, but I can't say I feel too badly about today. I got in two great workouts, and ate basically on plan (just too many processed carbs instead of natural ones).

Karen: I learned Dreamweaver about 6 months ago, and it is 'da bomb'! If you've ever had to use other programs to layout webpages, you will appreciate the program doubly so.

Ilene: EDT workouts are kickin' my bootie! By far the best workout scheme I've used in a LOOOOONNNGGG time. I ripped my chest to shreds in the gym last night... very much feeling it today!

Off to grill some chicken!
Old 10-06-2003, 09:18 PM   #6  
Ilene the Bean

Colleen ~~ I'm soooo happy you like it too... I love it... In a few weeks you'll see a difference in your shape too, it's amazing...
I will also post when I get a chance to type it, another EDT workout I found in a magazine, which really kicks a**...
Old 10-07-2003, 12:31 AM   #7  

Hello everyone!

Mrs. Jim: That was a good story about the kitties. I'm sure that your cats were quite excited about the goings on outside the window. Sort of your own version of crocodlie hunter, or some other nature show. We had an incident a few weeks ago, where the 4 neighbor dogs got a little kitty. My two boys, and 4 other boys were in the backyard and witnessed it. They thought it was pretty cool. The neighbor whose dogs it was felt terrible, and one of the boys mom's was sort of bugged by it. It sure opened up some good communication about how animals are animals!

Tidey: I'd be interested in finding out what the flexibility testing is like. Have you had it done before, or is this your first time?

I have to report a huge milestone for me. Tonight was my shoulder and back workout, definitely feeling the effects of less rest between sets and the killer box, BUT...after I finished lifting, I RAN for a full mile on the treadmill, without stopping. I have aspired to this for quite a while, but have not ever managed to get there. I was so excited tonight that I almost flew off the treadmill! I just found a stride, and in that stride, it was easy to just keep going!

Not much else here...had a great day today, excellent food-wise too!

TTYL,

Lois
Old 10-07-2003, 05:34 AM   #8  
Meg

Good morning LWL! I woke up way too early and STARVING! The “way too early” is because I need to get ready to go out of town and I’m guessing the “starving” is due to leg day yesterday. I usually try to stall myself on eating for a while after I wake up but today I had oatmeal and PP first thing, so I’ll have to play with Fitday and see how the rest of the day’s calories work out. Our menu thread was really helpful to me yesterday, both to read what everyone’s eating and to keep me on track. When I was tempted to eat something that I hadn't planned on (like everything that I saw when I went grocery shopping while hungry! ), I thought about having to go back last night and edit. And I didn’t want to have to ‘fess up here! For me at least, it helps to have accountability to others to keep me on track. Do you guys want to keep a menu thread up? What do we do about all the LWL in Oz who start the day when we’re going to bed? Do one of you guys want to start a menu thread?

Leg day was very frustrating for me. My leg strength is not coming back as fast as I hoped. I know this is only the fourth time I’ve done legs since the surgery, but I’m still SO weak, even though I pushed myself as hard as I could (without a spotter — I was solo yesterday). I did squats, hack squats, leg press, side lateral lunges (squat lunges) and stiff-legged dead lifts. I sure hope I can feel it today!

Tomorrow DH and I are off to NYC for five days — he’s there for business for a few days and then we’ll stay on our own for a few more. We’re trying to get tickets for a show ($$$) and we’d like to see the NY Philharmonic one night and there’s some restaurants to try. If we do end up at a five-star restaurant one night, I’ll take a free meal for sure — don’t want to miss that opportunity! Everyone’s been filling me in on where the expensive little boutiques are — I'll have fun looking but not buying!

I’m worried about the food since I won’t have control over some of the business-related meals (although I ultimately have control over what goes in my mouth, of course). I’m taking whatever portable food I can think of — I can always do the “eat before I go” trick (or when I get back) for some of these business functions. The hotel has an exercise room (those are usually pretty lame) but there’s a health club next door that I’ll check out. Cardio can be walking around the city — I love to walk when it’s flat like that. Here in Pittsburgh everything is hills, valleys, and rivers, so it’s tough to go for a long fast walk in a straight line! My goal is to come back weighing what I do now.

Karen — of course you got that old “Dreamweaver” song going through my head after I read your post! Gary someone? A one-hit wonder? I saw him with the Beach Boys and Peter Frampton in a stadium concert way back when … One of our kitties (the 20 year old) started off life as a street cat (she was an unwed pregnant teenage mother) and always was the mighty chipmunk hunter until she got too old to go outside. Our other cat has been strictly indoors his whole life. We found him as a three-week old kitten on the sand dunes at the Jersey shore and he never learned to hunt. Apparently it’s not instinctive — the mother cat teaches the kittens how to catch and kill prey. I read that if a kitten is never taught how to hunt, it will play with a mouse but not kill it. They both love to sit at the window and watch the squirrels and chipmunks (though the old lady isn’t seeing so well any more). But she sure can hear the cat food being opened!

I bought the new Dr. Phil book and am taking it along to NYC. Perhaps we can get a discussion going if anyone else reads it? Now I’ve got to get my clothes ready to go — always a dilemma with these business/social functions — how on earth do you figure out what “casual” is when a big bucks Wall Street lawyer is taking you out to dinner? In Pittsburgh, “casual” is a Steelers sweatshirt and jeans with a blown-out knee but I don't think that’s going to fly in Manhattan!

See you all on Sunday!

Meg
Old 10-07-2003, 07:04 AM   #9  
Chick

S/C/G: 257.5/239.75/155

Height: 5'7 1/2"

Meg, I hope you have a lot of fun on your trip! I like the thread you started yesterday, I think it is a good idea.

Dip - how is it going this week? I was back on track yesterday. I'll be working to make this week really count towards my weight loss goals!
Old 10-07-2003, 07:29 AM   #10  
Crazy Candian in Aus

Default :)

Meg, Have fun in NYC.... wish I was going there too! Someday I will make it there..... but first one must visit the Hockey Hall of Fame right?? ha ha ha

I dusted off the digital camera today. I have a friend over from Canada who is backpacking all over Australia for 4 months. We are catching up this weekend before she begins to make her way to Sydney and then I have the big weekend with her there in a few weeks. Her visit has motivated me again to start taking photos, my family back home has sent some complaints for lack of updates, so I will try to get some on the photo site, I just love seeing landmarks from all over the world!!

Well... almost done my oatmeal, need to pack the gym bag, and get some sleep. Ok... 9:30 pm is not late, but when you get up early it is!!

take care!
Nola.
Old 10-07-2003, 07:45 AM   #11  
Ilene the Bean

Oh Meg you lucky duck!! But I can surely feel your delema on the clothing issue... I would be very nervous and excited at the same time...

I had a very good day yesterday too, food and exercise wise and actually the whole day was a positive one... I stayed in and puttered around cleaning and doing stuff with the new kitty Bob following my every move.. He's such a cutie and I think Chloe is getting used to him...

I really like the food thread also and it kept me quite accountable...

Today I had a good workout, it started out so-so but ended very good...My partner who has come back from her maternity leave is NOT as ambitious about weight training as I am, she never has been, but now for some reason I am really noticing it, and it slows me down!... So when she left I did some more leg stuff and my leg workout ended up quite good after all....I was able to stay longer at the gym because I don't work today so I was happy for that otherwise I would be very disappointed...

Anyways I'm going to head over to the Food Thread and post my daily menu...

Later!
Old 10-07-2003, 08:01 AM   #12  

Good Morning! Grrrrr!

Hi, ledom! Back on track, feeling strong and confident, the Grrrr is because I feel like a tigress this morning. And in control, thanks to our new menu thread. I see a loss this week coming on!

Meg - Can't wait to hear about NYC! I have finished, and now reviewing Dr. Phil's book. IMHO, it's a goodie. And it's been beneficial in helping me discover and rememdy certain emotions that I need to deal with, especially anger. I have been participating in the Book Club forum above, but feel I am ahead in the process than the other gals, so a thread here at LWL would be neat.

Lo - Congrats on your run! I still can't run other than sprints on the treadmill. I still have too much flopping around, even girdled. But yesterday I did hit a 10, caught a pace and kept going. If I hadn't been time constrained, I would have stayed on longer because it was fun as well as fulfilling.

One of my cats, the one pictured in my photos, prefers eating out. He was a baby stray that walked up our driveway and claimed my husband and son. He was not a 'wild cat" but definitely a domestic. In Spring, his preference is fresh, lean baby rabbits, along with his regular diet of birds, moles, field mice, chipmunks and an ocassional humming bird. Too many times he has sneaked in the door with a live critter, and I'm always cleaning up remainders on the front porch and deck. He thinks the bird and hummingbird feeders are there for his entertainment. Although fixed, he beats up on our other cat, the sweetest feline ever, and a talker. Anyone want a cat? I will be happy to FEDEX him to Australia! Dan the poodle will just have to find another 'mate.'

Well, on with the day, and I hope you all have a good one!

dip
Old 10-07-2003, 09:03 AM   #13  
Brand New Mrs 11/1/03

Meg, have fun while your visiting over here. I'm not scheduled for any city clients this week . PM me if you find you have time on your hands and want to come out to the suburbs. We're out at the beach, just a 50 min train ride from Manhattan.

Dip, I think you had posted about what to do with the chatterboxes at the gym... I used to put my headphones on before I went into the gym, but leave the player on off. NO one knew, and they tended to leave me alone more. <g>. The neighborhood gym seems to double as a singles place and I was there to work out. With out building gym, I find it's easier to get things done if I go at off hours, cause its a small gym. SO I don't need to "hide" as much. Also, we have a few folks that seem to LOVE sharing all their ideas with everyone so its more likely that I'll be given pointers (groan) than asked for advice. The scary part is the guys who are so big on these pointers have the worst form of anyone in the gym.. plus their routines are rather strange. I'm all for sharing the equipment and working in if it's crowded, but I've NEVER had someone ask to work in on the treadmill before. hello??? I'm doing cardio here.. It was empty, and you can have it back when I'm done, I'm not doing a minute on, 2 off so you can do intervals with weights and running. That stuff is better done at 3 am when the gym is empty.

I'd better get moving.. today has 2 clients on it, some wedding details to do, 2 cardios, quads/chest and a dance lesson.

btw Karen, I loved your kitty story. My guys are having fun watching the seagulls out the windows these days. Course most of those birds are bigger than the cats so it's just as well they are indoor-only. Outdoors to them means helping Brad take the trash to the incinerator room.
Old 10-07-2003, 05:18 PM   #14  

hi all

well my 2nd meeting with my new trainer went super. We did strength and flexiblity testing, and heart rate as well.

Reality check. I am still not in good shape (eh?). I manged ONE measly pushup! (ok, its my first ever so thats not bad heh, I ALMOST did 2 hehe) I did fine on the ab test (what? I hate situps lol), I caved after 1 minute of wall sitting (DAMN! knew I should have started doing those ages ago! heh)

As for the flexiblity testing, since he is also a massage therapist (god smiles upon me! woohoo!) he did the regular stretching moves (me lying on table, him trying to pull my leg to my ear lol). It was really good, because I found out that not only am I out of shape (no WAY! really?) Im not as flexible as I should be. He did caliper testing as well, with left me with an urge to pass the pinch on to someone else *PINCH* :evil: I dont know my bf%, and I dont WANT to know at the moment. I'll ask in 6 months what my progress was. Less depressing that way.

On a GOOD note, he's very nice, and knows what he is doing (bonus!). I think this will really be the boot in the butt I need to really make serious progress.
Old 10-07-2003, 06:05 PM   #15  
Lovin' Zumba!

Well girls, I'm off - I have business in Atlanta until the the 14th, and then a road trip from Detroit to Asheville, NC for the four days after. Keep your fingers crossed for me that I'll be able to keep my eating pretty clean and will find ways to get psuedo-workouts in. Not a great way to start a Challenge, but that's life! Have a great couple of weeks, and I'll check back in with you as I get a chance. I will have my laptop with me for the first half of the trip, so may be able to get online occasionally.
Cindy
Closed Thread