Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Closed Thread

Old 07-26-2003, 08:15 PM   #1  

Default BFL Questions

Hi, I've been reading a lot of these threads about BFL and I've just about finished the book, but I still have some questions for those of you who have done the BFL challenge.

I've already lost 130 pounds just since January of this year by eating a very low calorie diet (doctor supervised) and doing LOTS of cardio every day. Of course my body has adapted to it and the scale is not moving much any more. I've decided to start BFL on Monday, but I'm a little bit worried about a couple of things.

This is a lot more food than I've been eating. Did you eat all of the recommended food when you did this? Were you actually able to lose weight and change your body with only an hour of cardio each week? Right now I do an hour and a half of cardio each day, but no weight lifting.

Knowing what you know now, what would you have done differently? I know I've read that some of you have said that you would have controlled your free day more, and I plan to do that, but other than that, what else would you have done differently?

I know I've also read from some of you that the pictures shown in the book aren't entirely realistic from only 12 weeks. What kind of results did you see in your 12 weeks?

Thanks a lot for your answers and support. I'm looking forward to getting started, but I'm also a little nervous about it.
Old 07-27-2003, 08:03 PM   #2  
Meg

Hi Mothergoose and welcome to LWL! I haven't done BFL so can't answer your questions but wanted to let you know that some of the experienced BFL'ers will surely be by to help you out. It gets a little slower on weekends, but should pick up tomorrow.

I CAN tell you that adding weights to your exercise program to build muscle is a terrific idea and you will love the results -- both in how the muscles will rev up your metabolism and help you finish losing the fat and how they'll make you look as the "new you" emerges.

Congratulations on a fantastic weight loss! You have done an incredible job so far and I think that BFL and weights will take you to where you want to end up.

Come on over to the weekly thread and post with us -- most of the action tends be centered there (and then Ilene can give you her "special welcome!").

Meg
Old 07-27-2003, 09:52 PM   #3  

Meg, Thanks for the welcome and great info. Should I be afraid of the "special welcome"?!?!?! LOL

Thanks again! I'm sure I'll be posting over here more as I learn to lift and have even more questions.
Old 07-27-2003, 10:31 PM   #4  

Hi mthrgoos68,

Welcome!!!! We luvs newbies!!!!

( I sure hope your not disappointed in the "special welcome" )

Please come join us on the weeky thread...

P.S: OMG , congrats on the fabulous weight loss!!

About BFL, I love the program, but because my free day is long winded at times, I don't "loose" any scale weight... I have done 2 challenges....BUT I have gained some major muscles and I love those results....

Oh and Please Please : "THROW THE SCALE FA' FA' FA' AWAY!!" is my best advise, because it will move slower because of the gorgeous muscles you will be making with all the healthy protein you'll be eating...
Old 07-28-2003, 02:17 PM   #5  

Ilene, Thanks for the advice about the scale. That will be the hard part for me. I know I shouldn't be, but I'm addicted to the scale. Maybe I'll have one of my kids hide it from me.
Old 07-28-2003, 04:35 PM   #6  

I think most of us are addicted to the scale, but we've all learned to put it away, I know I have...
Old 07-28-2003, 05:03 PM   #7  
Uber-Moderator!!

Thumbs down Sorry for the delay in replying...

but I must say that I am SOOO impressed by your stats...

I've said this before and I'll say it again...if I had known how awesome weight training was for burning fat...I would've started a LONG time ago! I used to do hours of cardio myself...not going to totally diss it, because I do think cardio certainly has its place in fatburning...but when you add weight training - it's like Emeril says: BAM!

To me it's like a golden triangle: Superclean nutrition + weight training + intense cardio intervals = success!

And as far as the before & afters in the book...remember that none of those peeps were doing 'BFL by the book' since the book wasn't even out yet...If ya go to the Hussman site (www.hussman.org/fitness) you'll find that many of the Champions tweaked the program...some did a buttload of extra cardio. Most did NOT take a full free day, or just had a treat once a week. As far as the Free Day goes...if it helps you to stay clean and on track for the other six days of the week, then fine...but after awhile, if/when your progress begins slowing...you might want to consider reducing the Free Day - to maybe a Free 1/2 day, a free meal, or a treat - it's up to you. (generally speaking I eat clean on Sunday morning, then the afternoon is free).

I haven't updated my website in about 1 million years (who has time?!? ) but if you click on the website link below this post, you can find my BFL progress pix from my first couple of challenges...
Closed Thread