Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Closed Thread

Old 07-08-2003, 10:16 AM   #1  

Default BFL results?

I have been dieting for months now, and 'gently' working out. I'm getting married in about 14 weeks and I would like some real results. I have read the BFL book cover to cover and I'm really interested in trying it. Are the results as promising as the book claims, I don't expect to be in 'bodybuilder' condition after 12 weeks, but I'm wondering if the results are real.

I purchased some low carb EAS drinks, and I'm wondering if those are acceptable substitutes to Myoplex.

Also, any tips or advice would be most appreciated.
Old 07-08-2003, 01:30 PM   #2  
cookies are for browsers

Hi Livein,

What do you have to lose? You have an awesome bod to gain!

Congrats on the wedding.

I started BFL yesterday if you need a buddy!

Jennifa
242/228/170
Old 07-08-2003, 03:12 PM   #3  
Uber-Moderator!!

Okay...here are my thoughts...

First and foremost - BFL is a really good program, especially for those who have never done a program that is centered on weight training (by that I mean heavy weight training as opposed to training with light weights like some videos and aerobics classes do). It's fairly simple to follow and doesn't take a lot of time (time being the essence for a lot of folks out there). Of course it's not the ONLY weight-centered program out there, but rather it's the most well-known of them (judging from the NY Bestselling Books list). I personally think that it's a great way to start getting into bodybuilding from the ground up - one of MANY ways.

Given the above...some caveats:

The biggest issue - which can be a letdown (it was for me at first) is the 'before and after' shots that are peppered throughout the book. I really wish that they would re-publish the book using before and afters from folks who actually USED THE BOOK as their guide. Of course, the photos predate the book.

A basic history is in order here: if you want to see the genesis of what became BFL, try and track down the video called "Body of Work" featuring Bill Phillips (EAS used to send it out for free but I don't suppose they do that anymore...). BFL started out as a transformation challenge - possibly the first transformation challenge ever, I'm not sure of that - in Muscle Media 2000. The grand prize to the winner (first winner was Porter Freeman) was Bill Phillips' Lamborghini. I don't recall reading if there was any 'program' that they needed to follow - other than seeing what the contestants could do in 12 weeks through changes in their nutrition and exercise. I believe that even today, the BFL/EAS Challenge only requires that you use at least one EAS product - you don't HAVE to do the program 'by the book'.

Not dissing the program or book at all - it's a GREAT way to get started - I'm just venting a bit because when I first started way, way back in April 2001, I figured that I would be just like one of those 'afters' in 12 weeks with the six pack and the lean legs and all...when I first read the Hussman site (he has interviews with some of the previous Champions as to what their training/nutrition was like) about 5 or 6 weeks into my first Challenge - that's when I started thinking that it might take me longer than 12 weeks to get where I wanted to be...

But again I am NOT dissing the program at all...like Jennifa says, "what have you got to lose?" And after doing a strict BFL challenge...and doing research on bodybuilding, reading books and mags, etc. I had a solid base to build on and expand my knowledge about splits, exercises, etc, which is a good thing. IMO the important thing about losing fat - is to have PATIENCE - not so easy to do when the media is bombarding you with infomercials and advertisements and spam promising 'fast, fast, easy weight loss' and 'exercise in a bottle'. KWIM?
Old 07-08-2003, 05:00 PM   #4  

Thanks for that post Karen!!

I KNOW I won't look like any of those pictures after 12 weeks. I am going to figure out my goals whilst on vacation, but if i could drop even one size, lose body fat, and lose about 20 lbs on this I would be happy.

Question: In the Success journal, aren't those pics of people who did do BFL by the book? I especially pay attention to those who had a lot to lose..........Pam Brown and a few others I can't think of right now. Seeing their 4 pics and their slow transformation was amazing!!

Robin
Old 07-09-2003, 10:04 AM   #5  

I think that for me BFL did give me a good 1st challenge transformation and put me back on the road to working out. I really enjoyed the program and had good results in my first challenge. I have pictures somewhere. Let me know if you'd like me to email you some. I used to have a website but switched internet providers and it went bye bye and I've never put it up again. But I'll send pix through email if you like.

BFL gives you a good knowledge base and a thirst for more knowledge. It's hard to go back to WW and jumping jacks after you've done BFL. I guess it makes you more hardcore about training and shaping up.

I would definitely recommend a 12 week challenge but if you're looking for better than average results, chill out on free day. Do one free meal instead or just don't do the marathon pig out. If you restrict the free day somewhat and stick religiously to the rest of the program (hitting 10s on cardio and weights) I think you will have great results.

Best of luck.
Susan
Old 07-09-2003, 10:54 PM   #6  
Crazy Candian in Aus

Default My take on BFL...

Hi, I am finishing Week 11 of my first challenge....

I am not going to lie and say I have done everything 100% by the book, I missed one workout, have discovered what my ’10’ is a few weeks into the program, and struggled every day to get in that darn last meal!!

I have lost about 2 lbs (150 down to 148) or so, but have lost inches all over. While physically it is not a challenge to have photos in a book, the change on the inside has been remarkable. I came from a WW mentality to now having a BFL mentality. I am getting fitter and stronger each day. Last week I did my first deep water running class since starting BFL (fear of overdoing cardio!!) and was AMAZED at how strong I felt in the water (upper body has improved sooo much) and how much harder I could work in the class. That is a change that photos won’t tell you. Another change is in my strength, I am using equipment in the ‘serious area’ of the gym, heavier weights that most women don’t go near, and I am getting better each workout. Photos don’t show that either!

I eat so much better now on BFL. I found I ate ‘treats’ every single day when I was on WW, now I splurge only on my free day. My first 6 free days were full on pig fests… (insert oinking noise here) and I admit I actually ate stuff I had not eaten for a year while doing WW (pizza, cheesecake, ice cream - - I have tried a new flavour every week) and this has kept me sane. When I have a great week, all my workouts, all my meals, I really enjoy that relaxed day where I can feel no guilt for an indulgence (or two). Next challenge, I will be cutting down the free day considerably, working on the nutrition, fine tuning the workouts, hitting new ‘10’s’…..

This means I am doing a second challenge!!! I could never go back to the way I was living before, it has become addictive, the workouts, the planning, the meals prepared ahead of time and best of all, the smaller and smaller clothes, ones I never would have bought or worn before. I have knee high boots that I wear every day (it is winter in Australia right now!!) that 3 months ago I never would have even tried on in a store!!! I feel I have had a ‘stellar’ transformation, inside and out!

Go ahead, try 12 weeks, find the small things that make the big differences and don’t look only at the physical changes for a measurement of success… like WW which is scale based success, you will only be disappointed… look deeper into yourself for the success.

Nola.
Old 07-10-2003, 06:36 AM   #7  
Crazy Candian in Aus

Oh ya.... I borrowed the two BFL videos from a friend, the Body of Work is really good even though it is a bit old... the second one is really good too, I was in tears in parts of it when people were describing their lives 'before' the challenge..

I found that when I was rewinding the tape, I felt all AAARRGGGHHHH I can do this!!! I have not watched them since week 6, and will borrow them again before the next challenge (I watched them once a week for the first 6 weeks - - I am funny eh?)

If anything, they get you all pumped up and motivated.... I hope some of the winners venture down here for a promo!!
Old 07-10-2003, 08:23 AM   #8  
Ilene the Bean

Wow, Nola that certainly is an awesome transformation, you described it so well... congrats on finishing your first Challenge, altho technically you are not quite done, BUT we all know you will finish because the main transformation has been from the inside out.... Good for you ...

Congrats again...

Ilene
Closed Thread