Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Closed Thread

Old 05-13-2003, 12:33 AM   #1  
Vegetarian

Default Vegetarian Anyone?

Are there any other vegetarians in here?
Old 05-13-2003, 12:22 PM   #2  
Beauty, Brawn and Brains!

S/C/G: 298(O)/268.2(RS)/247.9.0/175.0

Height: 5'9''

Christy I was a vegetarian for 8 years but, sadly, I have sucumbed to the dark side.
Old 05-13-2003, 12:30 PM   #3  
Uber-Moderator!!

I'm with Jessica...I was a vegetarian from 1992-2000...but right before starting BFL, started eating animal products again. Most of the time I was lacto-ovo, with a couple of years where I was a strict vegan. (back when I was a veg, I would have said that anyone eating fish wasn't a real vegetarian...but I guess 'the rules' have loosened up a bit there judging from what I've read on other boards/web sites).

I must say I do feel much healthier now than I did then - so I wouldn't call it 'going to the dark side' by any means. After doing some self-study, I've come to the conclusion that us humans are meant to be omnivores - eating animal AND plant foods. (not trying to dissuade you or anyone else from vegetarianism though - just my two cents). I admit that since I re-entered the realm of the hunter-gatherers, my hair has become thicker, my skin is no longer dry and itchy, and I can donate blood every 8 weeks again

But that's just me...
Old 05-13-2003, 12:53 PM   #4  
Vegetarian

Well I am a vegetarian, and plan to always be one.

But my hair is thick, my skin is not itchy or dry, so that is just me. And oh goodness I do not want to get into the "humans are meant to be omnivores" debates, lol. I am sure you remember what that was like when you were a veg head. LoL. I could go on and on, but in the end, we can all eat what we feel is right for us.

Anyway, I was just wondering if there were any vegetarians here, so maybe we could share some BFL veggie recipes.

Mrs. Jim, do you happen to know of any veg recipes from when you were a veg that would be "authorized"? I just entered the challenge today! YAY! I am starting my program on Monday.

Christy
Old 05-13-2003, 12:54 PM   #5  
Vegetarian

Oh I forgot... I don't eat fish either, strict vegetarian.

Christy
Old 05-13-2003, 12:58 PM   #6  

i'm pretty much a carnivore, but will call myself an omnivore for the sake of argument, but i wanted to let you know that there was an article in oxygen a couple months back about body building on a vegetarian diet. might want to look into the back issue for ideas on how to get enough protein without it being laden with carbs. just my two cents!
Old 05-13-2003, 01:01 PM   #7  
Vegetarian

Hey thanks! I will look for that! I appreciate it.

Christy
Old 05-13-2003, 01:12 PM   #8  

S/C/G: 202/144/Lean/Fit

Height: 5'2

i was a vegetarian for a year - no eggs, no cheese, no fish, no nothing - and gained so much weight it was unbelievable. i did it just because someone dared me to - i had no argument one way or the other on whether or not humans were supposed to eat animals. guess i am NOT the person that you would want to dare to lick a railroad track in the middle of winter ;-)
Old 05-13-2003, 01:15 PM   #9  
Vegetarian

testing-
:0)
Old 05-13-2003, 01:19 PM   #10  
Uber-Moderator!!

Most of the vegetarian recipes I had were VERY high in carbs, very LOW in fat and protein - while I was a vegan I was probably getting 10% of my calories from protein at most, since most of that time I was on the McDougall plan.

I got into vegetarianism by reading "Diet for a New America" and part of me also thought at the time that if I eschewed meat, I could eat all the carbs (rice, bread, etc) I wanted. Of course, that turned out not to be true in my case. As always with diet, it's a personal choice, not one made by a group, whether or not to eat animal protein. No debates here

I believe that if you check the Yahoo groups, there is a BFL vegetarian group somewhere there...not sure though. We have had vegetarians post here from time to time, but I don't think we have one in our current flock of Ladies Who Lift (I could be wrong though!).
Old 05-13-2003, 01:43 PM   #11  
Vegetarian

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsJim
We have had vegetarians post here from time to time, but I don't think we have one in our current flock of Ladies Who Lift (I could be wrong though!).
Well you do now! Wooo Hoooo, I could be the first permanent veggie lifter to the group! Hehe. Starting Monday that is.

Quote:
Originally posted by MrsJim
I believe that if you check the Yahoo groups, there is a BFL vegetarian group somewhere there...not sure though.
Thanks... I will look for that. I am a Yahoo member, so that would awesome.
Old 05-13-2003, 03:14 PM   #12  

You want recipes! I got tons of recipes!

Okay, but check my BFL content because I just started BFLing and I might not know any better! All my veggie recipes are lacto-ovo (I still don't think you can be vegetarian if you eat fish!).

Moringstar Veggie Crumbles (about 1/2 a bag)
1/4 can of rinsed black beans
1/4 can of rinsed garbonzo beans
Salsa to taste (check for sugar!)
Spices - I like mine super spicy so red pepper flakes, cayenne powder, chili powder, garlic, and hot sauce.

Heat together and serve. I top with FF sour cream on occasion.
Old 05-13-2003, 03:18 PM   #13  

Also, search for Zone diet recipes. I love their recipes (especially if you adapt the protein content to what you need) They have a plethora of vegerarian recipes.

http://www.zoneperfect.com/site/cont...derrecipes.asp

http://www.drsears.com/site/Tools/Zo...RecipeHome.nsf
Old 05-13-2003, 03:48 PM   #14  

BTW, does anyone know about including tofu in BFL? I don't remember seeing it in the book.
Old 05-13-2003, 03:57 PM   #15  
Uber-Moderator!!

Tofu isn't on "the list" on page 83 but I think you can attribute that omission to the fact that a lot of male bodybuilders tend to avoid soy (estrogen and all that stuff) in general. Perhaps Bill Phillips is of the same mind-set.

I'm sure there MUST be some BFLers/bodybuilders that use it though. Personally, I never had the patience to deal with the stuff myself!
Closed Thread