Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Closed Thread

Old 05-06-2003, 11:06 PM   #1  

Question Lifting when sick?

It seems like everyone here has this really bad cold, and its about to hit me. When you are sick, should you still hit the gym? Or rest until you are better? I have heard both positive and negative on this and was wondering which is right?

Robin
Old 05-07-2003, 04:31 AM   #2  

i'm not sure if there is a "right" -- it's another one of those areas that's filled with controversy.

my doctor, whom i trust 1000%, says that lifting can make an illness worse, as you over-tax your systems, especially your immune system, and it's a good idea to cut out the weights during an illness.

however, low to medium intensity cardio can be good for you as it gets the circulation going and if you have any kind of congestion it can help that too.

i've followed his advice on this subject these past 8 months and i can say that i've found it to work for me. however, i have not followed his advice about my carpel tunnel and now i'm afraid to go back to him and tell him that i'm in more pain

i think it's all a matter of "how sick" and "can you really do something that's worthwhile?"

sending you all healthy vibes

adriana
Old 05-07-2003, 09:14 AM   #3  

That is the exact opposite info Ive gotten from a number of sources (including the Dave Draper news letter)

I always did the weights and skipped the cardio and found that I was better quicker than if I had not done weights at all. The time I DID do cardio even tho I was sick I relapsed terribly.

Tidey
Old 05-07-2003, 09:35 AM   #4  
Banned

I always workout if I am able to and it seems to help. If I'm in a lot of pain and feel like I'm dying, I won't workout. I am rarely that bad.
Old 05-07-2003, 10:01 AM   #5  
Ilene the Bean

Interesting stuff, I guess it's what works for you, and do everything in moderation.... Personally I would do the weights lightly.... or stay home if I had a fever... You have to remember too that when you go to the gym you will just spread your germs on all the machines, and someone else will come down with what you have....
Old 05-07-2003, 10:02 AM   #6  

Robin,
My doctor told me to rest and not workout when sick. If you do workout make it really mild....
I noticed that a lot of people get sick around the same time after starting a weightlifting program...When I started BFL I got a cold around week 3-4....
I hope you feel better!
Old 05-07-2003, 11:54 AM   #7  

Thanks guys! Actually, my family is sick, we have had several outthis week at work due to this also. I am not that bad (yet!) so I plan to workout tonite. I am going to be out of town this weekend so I really want to finish this week by tommorrow. I hope I don't have to skip any!!

Robin
Closed Thread