Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Closed Thread

Old 02-13-2003, 02:22 PM   #1  

Question Question about calories

Hi-it's me again. After doing further reading about the leaness lifestyle and such I've become more concerned with calorie counting in conjuction with BFL.

Do any of you watch your daily calorie intake? I've looked online for a good calorie calculator-the ones that you plug your weight and height into to find how many calories it takes you to maintain your current weight. I'm finding that there are large discrepancies between them.

I'm also finding that my calorie intake is way under what they say I need to eat to keep my current weight. I'm a little suprised that the weight isn't flying off-I know, I know...patience and perserverance will win the race.
Old 02-13-2003, 05:37 PM   #2  
JEC
Aussie and proud

Hey mamawren,

You know that you don't have to count calories with BFL?? I know with LL that you do count but am not terribly familiar with it. I do watch my calorie count when I am learning a new diet etc and trying to feel my way with a new recipe but I don't count every calorie that goes into my mouth all the time. I would be constantly thinking about food! There are large discrepancies between calorie counts and maintainance but I think the general rule is 15-17 calories per lb of bodyweight. A lot of people find that when they do the calculations that they are way under and your body has probably accomodated for it by slowing down your metabolism to only process what you ARE eating. Some people have even (including myself) stalled on losing fat and then when they raise their calories they start losing again.

The body is an intricate machine and if you don't treat it right it will back fire on you. There is a fine line between letting you lose fat and it withholding and storing fat for the next famine. THAT is why you CAN eat too little AND too much. Both sides of the spectrum aren't good for you. If you are willing to guinea pig yourself you could try upping your calories slowly say a 200 calorie increase every 2-3 weeks to adjust your metabolism up again and you may start to lose more fat. You just have to make sure that they are not fillers - they have to be CLEAN calories.

Then there is a theory that if you stay at your maintenance calories for 4 weeks and then start to cut calories by 200 per week and then dropping another 200 2-3 weeks later etc you can trick the body into losing fat.

Of course ignore every word I said if you are on BFL!! This is more theory for when you are trying to lose your last 10-15 lbs rather than 50 lbs. You need to get a bit harder and smarted to trick the body.

HTH

JC
Old 02-14-2003, 09:58 AM   #3  

I didn't start out counting calories. I have kept track off and on with Fitday to see what 'clean' eating looks like calorie wise. I guess I just got a little nervous from listening to some of the interviews on body changers.

Free days still make me nervous because I don't want to 'blow' my hard work out the window.

Thanks for the additional advice-I'll keep it in mind when I'm closer to my goal weight-it will probably take me 3-4 challenges to get there.
Closed Thread