Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Closed Thread

Old 02-15-2003, 12:31 PM   #91  
Ilene the Bean

ebe -- lucky you in bikinis already? and seeing a difference?! Gawd lucky you...

Melissa -- I agree that some meals seem fairly large, but ya know I eat it all...LOL...

This week because I've been off work, I've been making an omelette for breakfast, it's just so delicious... so filling too that even at 3 or 3.5 hours I'm not that hungry... I have a "?" about this, should I hold off of just eat again? What do you guys think..

Lana... have a good day...
Old 02-15-2003, 01:24 PM   #92  
Mel

Default Hiya everybody!

Just got back from a spinning class- oo
f! haven't done that since about 8 months ago when I got "accidentally" dragged into one right after a leg workout. This was a lot better, since I did back and bi's yesterday, the relevant parts were'nt too sore. It was fun, but long. I think I may use it as my Saturday cardio- much better than an equivalent time on the treadmill running, and no knee pain or black and blue "runner toenail"!

Lana- Can't help you on the whether or not to eat since I'm ALWAYS hungry, tho since upping my fats (thanks JC and Karen) it's not so bad. I'd say eat something- even a protein shake with a sprinkle of oatmeal ground up in it. If you wait til you're really hungry, your muscles are already screaming.

ebe- Bikinis already! WOW- I'm not sure I'll ever be there. It's a pretty scary sight. But the Florida part sounds lovely. I'm so sick of snow and watching the weather forecasts- we got 5 inches last nite and are supposed to get 1 foot tomorrow nite. Enough already!!!

Adrianna- At least you don't have to shovel rain.

Jilley- Hope you feel better soon. Take it easy- eat clean when you can.

Hello to everyone I missed, hope you're having a great weekend.

mel
Old 02-15-2003, 03:21 PM   #93  
Ilene the Bean

Thanks for the tip Mel, it does make sense what your saying because, now that I think about it I end up eating double, almost 2 meals in one, when I get over hungry....

Later...

Lana...
Old 02-16-2003, 11:44 AM   #94  
Chick

S/C/G: 257.5/239.75/155

Height: 5'7 1/2"

Default some thoughts on Challenge 2

Good morning everyone. It is Sunday and the first day of week 8, challenge 2.
I am at a point that seems inevitable whenever I diet. Progress has slowed, the new has worn off, and I have lost my fire. If only I knew the key to overcoming this feeling things would be so much easier. I am trying all the mind games I can to muster myself into a renewed sense of enthusiasm. I am repeating mantras like "fake it 'til you make it", and I have reread this wonderful post that I copied from L&S a while back:

From Steve L. at L&S
"For all the newcomers we get each New Year, I thought it might be worthwhile to drag out some old but memorable posts that a lot of folks just starting out haven't seen.
Here's a string of quotes from Rufus Faine, a 6'1", 225-lb Rastafarian bodybuilder at my gym with 6% bodyfat and dreadlocks down to his shoulders.
Rufus isn't a "trainer"---but he periodically adopts newcomers in whom he thinks he sees the mental and emotional potential to produce a memorable transformation.
Rufus doesn't charge any money; all he does is change your life. And he does it by practicing a peculiarly effective type of tough love.
He became my mentor shortly after I dragged my fat *** into the gym in February of 2000, and while I don't see a lot of him these days, his wisdom guides me to this day.
All these comments were heard on one afternoon, as he put a struggling newbie through a tough workout.

On intensity and results:
"It's a straight trade; you gets out of it what you puts into it; not a nickel more, not a nickel less."

On faking-it-til-you-make it:
"Act like you think you me..."

On shedding old baggage, habits and attitudes:
"That was another country; you don't live there no more."

On how hard it is:
"You want easy? Go work on Wall Street. We don't got easy here."

Right now the quote "That was another country; you don't live there no more." stikes a cord becasue shedding old baggage, habits and attitudes is exactly what is called for at this moment.

Many people say on the subject of BFL that every workout, every clean meal is a brush stroke on the wall of a large room that you are painting. One brush stroke doesn't look like much but if you keep at it, eventually the room is done. I can see that after a couple of missed workouts and screwed up meals how that goes in exact reverse as well.

My job this week is to heed the alarm in the morning. To not hit the snooze button. Seems like a bad start like that and the day goes downhill from there. Well this is a ramble, but I will hang on by this thread of faith that I have in BFL and I will get to a point that I am making progress again. That will happen today and tomorrow and every day this week.
Old 02-16-2003, 12:45 PM   #95  

S/C/G: 163/163/149

Height: 5'7"

Hi All -

Great quotes, Ledom. Thanks.

DH and I are just beginning C1, W4 - we are taking Saturdays as our free day, so Sunday morning start charged and ready for another week.

Things are going well - we are getting more and more enthusiastic about the program every week, and can't believe we're only one third of the way through. I sat down this week and 'did the math' - figure if I am losing 2 lbs. of fat a week, and gaining .5 lb. of muscle per week, I should see 1.5 pounds of difference in my weight per week.

Have been checking my weight once per week (yes, I know it's not recommended, but especially at the beginning needed the confirmation that the program was working for me) and seem to be losing at exactly that rate. I guess I found it hard to believe that I was losing fat, even though I was never hungry.

I'm spending time lurking both here and over at L&S, and learning a lot from everyone's posts - questions from the newbies like us and answers from the old pros.

This really feels like a 'program' that could become a 'lifestyle' for us, like it has become for so many of you on your second, third challenges. We can envision eating "clean" Monday to Friday, then relaxing on the weekend and having them more or less free. Does anyone do that?

We both want to start training again come spring for fun runs, so will be upping our cardio after C1 for that purpose. I remember seeing some posts regarding marathon training - how did the runners out there manage to keep their muscle mass in spite of lots of cardio?

Thanks again for all the advice on these threads, they're really helpful.

BethO
Old 02-16-2003, 12:55 PM   #96  

Default Ledom, I feel for ya!

You sound so spent. For that, I am sorry. This is a tough journey we're on, isn't? I wonder when it will happen for me sometimes, and if I'll be able to lift myself up and keep on keepin on. The newness hasn't lost (too much) of its shine, yet. I am assuming it will though. It always does. Sometimes sooner rather than later.

I am wondering, do you keep a journal or record of workouts and food and the like? If so, have you looked over it? Perhaps seeing a pattern of some kind? You've been at this far longer than I. But have you changed workouts in the last few weeks? I found that works well. Finding a workout pardner is hard, but they sure help. Or maybe you have been giving it your absolute all and are tired. Just plain need a sit down, ya know!? I guess, I am just trying to help and don't know if I'm saying anything new (prolly not )

I just saw this over at L&S from Ann, Keeper of SteveL. She was speaking about doing it for YOU and by YOU, not for anyone else "...you do so only over the wreckage of your own soul. " She was also speaking of making others feel good, but at what cost. This may not be what's holding you back, but it sure is a great quote and can be put into many contexts.

I wish you well, my friend. I'll be thinking of you this week. Give it all you got, gurl!
Old 02-16-2003, 01:09 PM   #97  
Chick

Default Hey niffer,

Thanks, I feel those positive vibes and I know they'll be helpful.

My journal is very sporadic and I think you have hit on something there - I plan to really pay attention to that this week. It helps to write out my feelings and I rely too heavily on the "boards" for doing that. Some private introspection is called for.

On changing up workouts, dang but I am a creature of habit. The one thing that is different in C1 and C2 is that I am teaching an 8:00 TT class this semester which, when you add in a 1 hr. commute is wreaking havoc w/ my sleep and schedule. I have adjusted so that those are cardio days and I do them in the afternoon. Also switching to a split has not gone well for me. But hey, maybe I should try again.

I am determined, I feel once I work though a good week my down cycle will be broken. I do, 100%, feel that BFL is the truth and the light to health for me and that only by giving it 100% am I allowing myself to reap the benefits.
Old 02-16-2003, 01:29 PM   #98  
Mel

Default Ah! rest day... LOL

I hit the gym really hard all last week and finished with a spinning class yesterday. Really hard! Boy, was I looking forward to a day of no activity except the mandatory laundry and vacuuming the kitchen, but of course, IT"S SNOWING again. I've already shovelled once- the first 5" and about 10 more are expected.

Ledom- I discovered There are worse things than no progress. I was incredibly discouraged a few weeks ago. I kept up the workouts and eating clean 23 hours a day, but that 24th hour was spent in spite eating. Who was I spiting? me and only me. What you said about the reverse of painting the room is so true! Also, since then, i have started journaling. Most introspective stuff, I've always done the workout and food journals. It does seem to help. Both reading the up days and down days keeps me more centered and remembering why I'm doing this. Took me a while- karen's been preaching it since I started here over a year ago.

Betho- Sounds like you and dh are doing well. What did you mean by fun runs? 5K? 10K? I don't think you really need to add any training beyond 20MAS or 20minutes of HIIT with a 5-10 minute cool down to do those. Just add a timed distance run on the weekend instead of 20MAS. I was training for a half marathon, doing 30-45 minutes 2 days/week then a distance run on Saturdays of up to 2 1/2 hours. I lost muscle, did not lose weight, and felt generally aweful. Every old sports injury was re-aggravated. If you stay at 10K or less and are in good shape to start with, it shouldn't be a problem.

Gotta go stare at the snow-
mel
Old 02-16-2003, 02:52 PM   #99  

Smile back in the game !!!

good for me ! i changed my program around a bit and now i'm happy, happy, happy again

i'm back to the tons of cardio, which i hope doesn't spark another landslide here there's no getting around the facts that i still have 70 pounds of fat to loose and that i just plain and simple LOVE IT

i took a good long look at my goals again and after reading a whole lot again on the whole subject i made the right decision for me. i'm doing Dave Draper's 6-day Fat Burner program (from his website), plus all the extra stuff i want to do - oh yeah!

so............. i did a legs workout today that was just amazing. i upped the weights in all the exercises and it felt great. then it was the treadmill and swimming. AND i just got back from a spinning class too it's really incredible that i could do the whole class after that legs w/o this morning - i guess the L-Glutamine is working

Ledom - i hear ya too ! that happened to me a bit towards the end of C1. then i took two weeks *off* from C2, doing just light workouts and taking it easy. maybe you just need to step back from the program for a few more days so you can come back to it with full forces? just a suggestion. i'll be sending you good vibes too so that you can make the best decision for yourself at this time

Betho - i'm really glad that you and DH are enjoying your challenge. it's just the best, isn't it??

Mel - i see you over on L&S and get great encouragement from your posts ! you are really one smart cookie

Lana - what's up sweetie?? are you guys skiing again? i imagine you swishing over 8 feet of packed snow with 2 feet of pristine powder on top

Karen - did you fall off the face of the earth? where is our fearless leader ???? hope everything is okay and good with you and MrJim!!

Jilly - how are you feeling?

Tideypo - how's the *reaching out* going? i hope you're having a good weekend.

have a great sunday everyone. see you tomorrow.

adriana
Old 02-16-2003, 06:35 PM   #100  
Ilene the Bean

Hi girls

How is everyone ? This board is always such a hopping place… that's what keeps me coming back and THANK YOU for that ..... I just finished typing a very long post only to delete it by mistake… this is not the first time it happens to me so from now on I will type it in a document and then paste it to the board…. Maybe just maybe it won’t happen again…. I get quite when this happens…. It’s not a pretty thing…

Ledom: Hang in there girl you’ve come such a long way since the first time I met you on the Prevention Plan board… I really find you more positive than even last year, and I sincerely hope you won’t take offence to what I’m saying but I do find it to be true..…. Journaling surely helps me a lot, I usually write in my diary before going to the gym in the morning and afterwards to comment on how good my work out was or wasn’t …. One of my favorite mantras lately is this: “How badly do you really really want that (insert fav food here)” and stomp away from the kitchen to a bottle of water…. It has worked 99% of the time…

BethO : It’s so nice to see that you and hubby are so enthusiastic and are adapting this as a lifestyle, I truly do think this is doable forever… and congrats on your decision to do a “fun run” although I could never do that , because I find nothing “fun” about a “run” I really really dislike to jog, I’m more of the biking and blading type…

Niffer: how are you girl? Hope your arm is feeling better… I’ll e-mail you soon…

Mel: Stop looking at the snow! You’ll get snow blindness… Oh well that darn snow just look at it as a really good work out!

Adrana: So nice to see you with all those positive vibes, it actually shows through your writing… and all that cardio… good grief! How do you have so much energy! Good for you!! Keep at it… We will eventually reach all of our goals …. And no we can’t ski these days it’s just too darn cold!! -27C = -16C…. slightly too chilly for me… thank you very much!!

Tidey: You just get out there girl and think and do “outside the box” …. It’s scary but sooooo well worth it because you will feel the power once you do it a few times….

Mrs.J:

Wantobebuff:

I had a awesome LBWO this morning with my Sunday Pardner… I got this workout on the Dave Draper site… HUGO'S MASS BLAST #1,
Triset: -- Lunges, 5 sets of 10 reps (no rest) -- Leg Curls, 5 sets of 15 reps (no rest) – Squats, 5 sets of 10 reps (1 minute rest)
Then you do 8 sets of standing calf raises picking a weight that you can initially do for 20 reps. Only rest 20 or 30 seconds in between sets. Do not reduce the weight!
Better yet here’s the link: http://www.davedraper.com/leg-workout-mass-blast-1.html
We both really loved it and it was also a great cardio workout….
Anyways I’m going to stop babbling and hopefully this will go through this time …. If not arghhhhhhh…… ‘

Lana…
Old 02-16-2003, 08:09 PM   #101  
Ilene the Bean

Hi again girls,

I was just e-mailing Niffer and asked her this:

"How is your FD going? This week once again I sorta blew it but maybe I didn’t, you can tell me what you think. I should run this by the girls on 3FC and see what they say too. This week for example Friday night (by this time I am just fed up of eating clean) so I had pizza, then Saturday I ate clean all day then last night someone dropped by so I had red wine and some cheese and whole wheat crackers…Today I ate clean but tonight I bought some fried chicken for the rest of the family, (ewwww -- I hate that stuff ) so I had a sandwich made with dense whole grain bread and turkey breast slices but I snuck in maybe 10 fried potato wedges …. If I would have all these items, pizza, wine, cheese, whole wheat crackers, fried potato wedges, in one day that would be considered a FD and I truly did not pig out on these things either, I only had everything in moderation. Now is that so bad? Let me know what you think…. "

What do you girls think? Is this too much food? Is this what is keeping me from my goal?
Old 02-17-2003, 12:32 AM   #102  

Lana dear,

it's very interesting that you wrote about this right now. we've been discussing this very issue over on another weight loss board i'm on, on another site. it got me to thinking last night, sometime after i was dead from the spinning.

personally, i think the purpose of all this that we're doing is to make our lives better. each one of us has a different lifestyle, a different goal, a different outlook. i don't think that something like eating clean 100% of the time is for everyone. not that it makes them a bad person, or less strong, or whatever.

i would like to see that each person gets to their own *program* and work it out so that they don't feel bad when they have the pizza here, the fries there, the cola another time. life is to be enjoyed. there has to be a balance of our desires, our likes/dislikes, etc.

so........... i think it's possible to do what you've done these past few days and still call it all your own way of life. why not have that pizza with the family if that's what you want. it's all about knowing when and how much, don't you think. if you had been on a pig fest for 4 days straight, eating everything in site and then you ate more pizza, well i would tell you to redefine your goals and see where it is that you want to go.

but you're doing what you know is good for you. you're doing what also fits into your family lifestyle, which is really, really important. you're also taking care of the little things in life that make it even better.

so, keep enjoying those foods and don't feel bad about it.

take care,

adriana
Old 02-17-2003, 07:03 AM   #103  
Chick

Good morning,
Lana, as long as you are in control and are keeping track maybe that is ok. CoryB over at L&S has some similar thoughts to free meals and it seems to work for him. Have you ever visited his web page? I just wanted to report that my day was clean yesterday, that I hit snooze for 10 min. only this a.m. and at 6 a.m. my LBWO is done! I wrote in my journal yesterday and I cooked too. I am holding my lifestyle choice foremost in my mind as I travel through this week. Mel, I just don't know what to say about all that snow. I know you must be tired of it, but I bet it is pretty. A good week to everyone.
Old 02-17-2003, 08:06 AM   #104  
Ilene the Bean

Thank you adriana and ledom can I give you a *hug*...

Lana...
Closed Thread