Weight and Resistance Training Boost weight loss, and look great!

Old 05-01-2011, 04:51 PM   #1  
Let's salsa!

S/C/G: 208/160/158 for now

Height: 5'9"

Default The Darling Buds of MAY

I know, I am consistently MIA but I happened to log in and noticed that May thread has not been started yet ..... The title is from a favourite book of my - men, those people did eat! Alright, I am going to have some Greek yogurt with strawberries and blueberries and then I am going grocery shopping for OP foods.

Alena
Tomato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 06:27 AM   #2  
Mel

MMMMMMmmmm... Greek yogurt and strawberry (or blueberries or any other fresh fruit) is my regular 10 am meal. AFTER 10 am, I go Paleo.

So, after 7 weeks of absurd workouts which have left me less fit than I started out, I just squeaked into the top 20 in my age class and have qualified to go to the Crossfit Games. Much to my surprise, because my initial goal was just to be able to workout on Wednesday night, when the workout was only open to people who were competing!

Happy May! We are having our semi-annual pollen fest here in Southeastern PA

Mel
Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 07:26 AM   #3  

S/C/G: 220/183/140

Height: 5'4"

Mel! Off to the Crossfit competitions! Good luck to you.

Thanks for starting us up this month, Alena. Don't forget to vote today!!

The big tap performance was Saturday, and all went well. But, take my advice, if you're invited to tap dance on a cement stage, say NO.

We are having storm after storm; the most recent one lasting almost all night long. The dog was so scared that she kept us awake much of the night. We need the rain, but.....

Does anyone have anything to say about front squat versus back squat. My first trainer had me do back squats, this one prefers front squats, saying they are easier on the back. I've been doing them with a 45 # bar, and am moving the weight up today.
Tejas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 07:45 AM   #4  
Kallos Sthenos

S/C/G: 188/127/120

Height: 5'3''

Yes! Thanks Alena. And great to see you!

Mel: Way to go Girlfriend! I"m not surprised but taken into account your schedule this is an accomplishment! Interesting to note though that the workouts left you less fit than when you began. That's got to be a frustrating trade off. So let us know when you compete.

Tejas: This is a pretty good article explaining some of the differences.

http://stronglifts.com/front-squats-vs-back-squats/

Off to hit my own workout this morning. Rough night sleeping...overslept sending everyone else in the house into a tailspin. (DS1 is a rockstar and didn't miss a step) Here's to a better rest of the day.
Lydia227 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-2011, 05:32 PM   #5  

Thanks for the link, Lydia. I just read it. It says essentially what my trainer said.

We moved the weight from 45 to 65 pounds and that was too much. We went back down 10 pounds and I could do that more easily. However, I did tend to use my knees too much and had to be reminded more than once to stick my butt OUT! I guess the added weight threw me off a bit because my form did suffer.

Last edited by Tejas; 05-02-2011 at 05:33 PM.
Old 05-03-2011, 10:42 AM   #6  
Tellin' it like it is!

S/C/G: RESTART:153.5/147/135

i find front squats to be much more difficult than back squats-- i cant lift nearly as much front squatting, and the form just feels....ackward...... even MORE challenging though is OVERHEAD squats..... those REALLY work your entire core as well-- starting to love them, though i cant squat very much compared to my back squat (which im kinda starting to not like anymore)
mkroyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 11:01 AM   #7  

I'm not doing overhead squats, but am doing reverse lunges with a 25 pound bar held overhead. I did 45 but, again, my form really suffered. But, I'm going to try 35 this week.
Old 05-03-2011, 01:21 PM   #8  
Kallos Sthenos

Overhead squats trump me every time. Last year I put them into my program for a few months. I was able to squat a 35 pound bar and my goal was just to be able to OH squat the 45 pound free bar. I think I got two reps in and was cooked.

I've since decided that doing OH squats with a lighter 15 to 18 lb body bar is enough for me. I'm mostly interested in the form because recruits so much full body strength. But to keep that bar in te right spot with arms fully extended and locked for more than one rep...I'm satisfied with just going light and being able to complete the move.
Old 05-03-2011, 05:19 PM   #9  

Funny thing---my trainer said that this program had a lot of weight in it. Really!? Two sets of 9 reverse lunges holding 25 pounds over my head. In the same program as 2 sets of 9 front squats with 45 pounds plus. And that's just 2 exercises of 7. I think he's calling my bluff. He's a stickler for form so I imagine I'm doing them correctly. I don't think I'll ask him about OH squats.

Last edited by Tejas; 05-03-2011 at 05:21 PM.
Old 05-03-2011, 07:01 PM   #10  
Kallos Sthenos

If he starts to require you to do shoulder dislocates during your warm ups be afraid....very afraid...
Old 05-03-2011, 07:30 PM   #11  

OK, that sounds like good advice, Lydia. But, if I do them, I'll do them with good form

Last edited by Tejas; 05-03-2011 at 07:31 PM.
Old 05-04-2011, 08:37 AM   #12  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

My shoulder has been bothering me but I did some shoulder things last night and I feel ok today.

In sad news, I am quitting Crossfit I'm hacking and slashing our budget to bits. I need to save a mass amount of money in the next couple years so we are going to have a tight budget for the next 5 years. It'll be ok, I guess this is where I see if my goals (going back to school) can overcome my desires (live on a somewhat loose budget)
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 12:21 PM   #13  
Yogini

S/C/G: 152/ticker/115

Height: 5' 3''

Quote:
Originally Posted by nelie View Post
My shoulder has been bothering me but I did some shoulder things last night and I feel ok today.

In sad news, I am quitting Crossfit I'm hacking and slashing our budget to bits. I need to save a mass amount of money in the next couple years so we are going to have a tight budget for the next 5 years. It'll be ok, I guess this is where I see if my goals (going back to school) can overcome my desires (live on a somewhat loose budget)
What is Cross fit exactly? I tried to google it and we seem to have a cross fit gym a few blocks from where I live - their website didn't explain in detail what Cross fit is. It said group classes based on weights and body weight exercises with nutritional couseling offered.

Any more input Nellie?
Wildflower is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2011, 12:54 PM   #14  

Nelie, good luck. I'm one who believes that a sacrifice for education always pays off. You'll keep up your exercise in some form or fashion, surely.
Old 05-04-2011, 03:23 PM   #15  
Just Me

S/C/G: 364/--/182

Height: 5'6"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wildflower View Post
What is Cross fit exactly? I tried to google it and we seem to have a cross fit gym a few blocks from where I live - their website didn't explain in detail what Cross fit is. It said group classes based on weights and body weight exercises with nutritional couseling offered.

Any more input Nellie?
The main site is here
http://www.crossfit.com/

Basically, they are varied workouts using your body weight and weights (barbells and kettle bells). The workouts are also timed. I love the workouts, the people, etc.

Tejas, I will continue to workout at home
nelie is offline   Reply With Quote